Left-handed characters

• Hello,

I’m left-handed and recently noticed that this gives me a slight disadvantage. Strike directions are against natural instinct and I have a tendency to strafe left. This means that my strikes are easier to block (winding just in front of the opponent) and harder to land (after strafing first strike should go to the back/side of the opponent).

I recently started adjusting for that, but I just think it would be wonderful to see the option for left-handed characters (mirrored models).

• I’m also left-handed and noticed that it feels perfectly natural either way. Our dominant hand is at the base of the weapon, below the right hand - this is where the power comes from and it also offers more control, believe it or not. Choosing to strike left or right would be neat though. With that said, you’re better off doing overheads or thrusts I’d say.

• that would be cool, it would also make people look out more as a left handed character is something you need to think differently about, especially when you can just use strikes through shields because of direction on the other hand so can the lefty.

• I discussed about this subject a while back. I hope the developers changed their minds after a few months.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1452

• I’m left handed too and this would be great. Of course, I’m also ambidextrous some what. If I were to play this with the wiimote, I would prefer my left hand.

Very… VERY few games cater to left handed players. Somehow I doubt this one will.

• Weren’t lefties much sought after due to the design of castles in the medieval era which almost always had spiral staircases on major defensive positions which would favour defenders - ie righties, since that’s what the majority were. So if you were a left handed attacker you were able to swing your sword in such locations where righties weren’t (the staircases spiral upwards to the right). The idea that knights with lopped off limbs fought with their opposition hand though is nonsense because you could not swing a proper sword with one arm, at least not to the degree that you would need to in any proper fight.

In this game however I am not sure how it would change things if there were right and lefthanded swordsmen running around. The trouble being that lefties are rare and to see a battlefield composed of (lets assume) largely equal numbers, or even bias towards the left, would be slightly weird. I have an idea that you could perhaps either have a chance per round of being a lefty (if you wanted), or take up an alottment of lefty warriors dependent on the number of players on a server.

• mentioned it in future mech. dreams, see my signature

• Thank you for contributing nothing to this thread and linking your post.

• @Harmonica:

Thank you for contributing nothing to this thread and linking your post.

Thank you for contributing nothing to this thread and commenting my post.

• @Agannazar’s:

Check the post above yours. Hey I contributed some words and discussion! What a novelty.

The point I am making is that you don’t have the moratorium on posting ideas, and linking to your thread where you just say ‘left handed - hooray’ does not add anything. Here’s a thread about left-handedness. If you think it’s a dream mechanic why not talk about it.

• @Harmonica:

@Agannazar’s:

@Harmonica:

Thank you for contributing nothing to this thread and linking your post.

Check the post above yours. Hey I contributed some words and discussion! What a novelty.

The point I am making is that you don’t have the moratorium on posting ideas, and linking to your thread where you just say ‘left handed - hooray’ does not add anything. Here’s a thread about left-handedness. If you think it’s a dream mechanic why not talk about it.

For those who cant read

Double clicking Mouse 1 starts attack from left side.
    &
    Passive shield block from right side attacks. This blocks prevent dmg but may cause stamina loss or cause daze or another disadvantage for balance.
    &
    able to chose left handed character.

• According to logic and reason link to relevant thread is a contribution. And let’s move on…

I have read both discussions and some interesting points were made there. I really like the suggestion on double LMB click to start swing from other direction. It would go really well with my other annoying tendency, which is nervous LMB spam in messy situations ;)

• generally in combat left handed users where rare however they could be very effective because of this, a left handed soldier would be trained to fight right handed soldiers quite well but on the other hand the right handed soldier has not had enough training against lefties thus as long as there are few of them they have a combat advantage. Genetically left handed people are on average smaller and a bit less strong but it did happen that left handed soldiers where deployed because of the advantage they had in combat.

• According to wiki, in sport of fencing roughly 50% of participants are left-handed, as opposed to 10% in average population (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness). Now that’s interesting…

• @Harmonica:

Weren’t lefties much sought after due to the design of castles in the medieval era which almost always had spiral staircases on major defensive positions which would favour defenders - ie righties, since that’s what the majority were. So if you were a left handed attacker you were able to swing your sword in such locations where righties weren’t (the staircases spiral upwards to the right).

I am not a lefty but I have heard this, but for some reason all the castles I have visited have a mixture of both which is a bit strange, prehaps different staircases preformed different roles, I can imagine the staircase going from the guardroom would favour those travelling up it to the walls

• @PepperSword:

Hello,

I’m left-handed and recently noticed that this gives me a slight disadvantage. Strike directions are against natural instinct and I have a tendency to strafe left. This means that my strikes are easier to block (winding just in front of the opponent) and harder to land (after strafing first strike should go to the back/side of the opponent).

I recently started adjusting for that, but I just think it would be wonderful to see the option for left-handed characters (mirrored models).

Weren’t left handed people killed on those periods?

• Left handed’s human being are the worshippers of Satan. No mercy for them. Period.

• Left handed people for Masons then?

Fabulous hair for Agatha doods.