Pppppfffhhhh…

• Since I have played this game I have tried to play the “men-at-arms” class and it is just a useless class.

With “men-at-arms” class the best thing you can do is just run around trying to get a hit and praying to your god that you get a kill that mostly fails because the enemy lands a hit on you despite a clear hit before they attempt to attack while having a good latency.

The only class you can stand up against while being the class “men-at-arms” is the archer class (don’t remember the name), that is if the archer class is using a dagger.

It might just be me but from what I see very very very few play as the “men-at-arms” class.

I wonder why……

I do not know what it is but ya, I do better at other classes

• Man-at-Arms has the highest learning curve to it than any other class… I’ve seen some people play it and be untouchable while others simply aren’t made for it…

MAA is not useless or underpowered in any way, shape, or form…

• MAA is the class I started with, and the first class in which I unlocked every weapon.
    It’s a fine one as long as you know what you’re doing.
    The only difference with the Vanguard or the Knight is you have less chance to get away with spamming mindlessly.

• Ya well I would like to hear the testimony from others before I give into your claims of B.S.

• Maa is definitely one of the hardest to learn except for maybe getting good at archer. A new player is going to have a much easier time using a knight or vanguard. Maa definitely takes some practice to learn but they are far from useless. Every class in the game can be very good if you use them right.

• Hardest to learn but probably the best class once you know what your doing in my opinion. They can be almost unstoppable with the right footwork and timing. I have seen very few good MaAs though outside of some clan servers.

• Hard to use, hard to kill.

• @Ravenous:

Ya well I would like to hear the testimony from others before I give into your claims of B.S.

That’s not how arguments work.

I could say myself that your claims are B.S. because yours is the testimony of only one player.

MAA is the easiest class to play as, lots of players have no idea how to fight them, trying to swing with their slow weapons and whatnot, and the only counter anyone has on MAA is that their HP is low and 1-2 hits is usually needed to kill them.

• I don’t get what specialty this class has.

Speed? Not really. Chase mechanics makes your speed and having light armor redundant.
    Attack speed and Agility? Yeah, a bit. Strafing and dashing forward helps a lot, but good players still block your strikes, as they’re not faster than everything else. Downside is that you still only need 1-2 hits to die. Make a mistake/have lag = you’re dead. Knights and Vanguards are way more forgiving if you’re a bad player or have a bad ping.
    Damage? No noticeable bonus here either.
    Health? No comment.
    Evasion? Sort of, but if you’re just keeping your view on top of the target you’ll still damage it, regardless if your weapon has momentum or not. I know this is intended and to be honest, this mechanic is the most stupid in the game.

What is the MAA actually supposed to be? A Ninja? Some sort of pesky hornet? Both are agile and die fast, but at least they’re dealing considerably more damage.

tl;dr I agree with OP, MAA is just a knight without HP and less damage output

• MaA’s biggest advantage as far as I’m concerned is strafe speed. He’s by far the best class for circling around blocks by sprinting around diagonally and swinging, and by far the best class for avoiding overheads and stabs and getting in a free hit in return. Only class that has a chance of getting around a tower shield by exploiting the reduced turn rate of shields. He’s built for using mobility to isolate and kill lone enemies. Dodge is a situational tool just like charge attack and backstab - and it’s generally more useful than either of those.

You shouldn’t be trying to engage multiple enemies with him; rather lead them to your team. You do move faster than other classes, and with your enhanced strafe speed you can zigzag to keep enemies from taking full advantage of the chase boost, since their cursor has to be directly on you for it to work. Then when they’re distracted by your team, you work your magic in striking from behind and to the sides, or go harass the freshly spawned players who are coming to help.

• MaA is difficult because to be successful you have to play smart, smarter than any other class. Your low per-hit damage and low health makes this so.

My preferred setup for the MaA is to use the heater shield with the war axe. The shield give you a bit more survivability and allows you to go toe-to-toe with other players. The war axe is in my opinion the most balanced of the three axes, harder hitting than the hatchet and quicker than the dane axe.

When I say play smart this is what I mean. You have to chose your fights. The absolute number one rule I would say as MaA is to never go into a front lines, smash em up scenario. This is for knights and vanguards who have more health, armor, and reach. That isn’t to say you cant fight in groups or at the front. What you need to do is look for opportunities to strike in these situations. You have to wait for your opponent to expose himself, strike, and then withdraw before he has a chance to counter. Rinse, and repeat.

Alternatively, you can take the fight to your opponent but this is best for 1 v 1 scenarios. Your speed makes it easy to land a first hit on an enemy. I like to watch for when my opponent begins his strike, I stay out of range and then attack as soon as his sword passes in front of me, sprining forward and laying a 2 hit combo while he is still finishing his swing.

I rarely ever use dodge. When I do use it is to get myself out of an emergency situation if I get surprised by a previously unseen opponent or mess up in my fight and get hit.

So in summary MaA requires patience but it also requires aggression. It is all about knowing how to act and when. I would say 65% of the time as MaA you should be in a reactionary stance, waiting for your opponent to open himself up so you can get close and hammer his skull with your axe. The other 45% of the time you need to be aggressive, keeping your opponent guessing, nervous, and on his heels.

If you want to read more, here it goes. Use your speed to maneuver around the battlefield to find those situations where you have the advantage. Sun Tzu said something about only fighting when you know you have the upperhand, this applys to playing MaA. Run around and try to get to the flank of the enemy line, find the exposed and alone soldier, or escape to reach the enemies archers (my favorite thing to do).

• One thing I notice after playing as MaA a lot is that fights actually become easier when you are up against more than one opponent. They tend to get more excited. They are on the attack rather than being ready to defend. With the correct footwork and dodging, 5 on 1 situations aren’t a lost cause as an MaA. Very easy to cause team attacking. Always go for the enemy that isn’t expecting you and ping pong to all the enemies until everyone is dead.

I will say that bardiche (and other weapons of that tree) vanguards are your enemy. Very dangerous

• Hardest class to master, but by far the most powerful when you do master it.

• @UnknownXV:

Hardest class to master, but by far the most powerful when you do master it.

Pretty much this. The MAA got hard nerfed. Their dodge ability is pretty much useless now as you have to stop moving to use it. However, they are faster than knights or vanguards. Technically speaking, they should be the hardest class for anyone to fight. Archers should find killing them easier than knights killing them.

I don’t know what to make of this thread other than OP is new and needs practice.

• lol … imo , the maa is one of the best class in the game …

matter of opinion i suppose

• I think the MaA itself is fine, but the problem is with the faulty game mechanics that especially the knight and vanguard benefit from. They get fatigued too slowly, and can keep swinging their heavy weapons even when completely fatigued. And as long as they keep bashing the LMB their swings get executed - when you evade the first swing and dash in to hit him, his return swing still gets executed (is this what I read elsewhere about “flinching” not working correctly?) and does normal damage even though you’re hugging him. And in this trading of damage the MaA always comes out last.

Also, momentum of a large weapon once it’s moving should fix the warrior in place (no turning, or very limited anyway), but right now he can change the direction mid-swing, making the dodge ability and general speed of the MaA much less useful.

I think the most skillful battle to watch would be a MaA vs MaA battle.

• @zeusbty:

I think the MaA itself is fine, but the problem is with the faulty game mechanics that especially the knight and vanguard benefit from. They get fatigued too slowly, and can keep swinging their heavy weapons even when completely fatigued. And as long as they keep bashing the LMB their swings get executed - when you evade the first swing and dash in to hit him, his return swing still gets executed (is this what I read elsewhere about “flinching” not working correctly?)

Once they’re out of stamina they can’t combo anymore. Then you can pretty much just walk in between his swings and hurt him as he’ll swing so slow. Flinching works but you have to hit them during the wind-up or when they’re idle. Once their weapon is coming down on you it’s too late.

• @Ulven:

@zeusbty:

I think the MaA itself is fine, but the problem is with the faulty game mechanics that especially the knight and vanguard benefit from. They get fatigued too slowly, and can keep swinging their heavy weapons even when completely fatigued. And as long as they keep bashing the LMB their swings get executed - when you evade the first swing and dash in to hit him, his return swing still gets executed (is this what I read elsewhere about “flinching” not working correctly?)

Once they’re out of stamina they can’t combo anymore. Then you can pretty much just walk in between his swings and hurt him as he’ll swing so slow. Flinching works but you have to hit them during the wind-up or when they’re idle. Once their weapon is coming down on you it’s too late.

The idle flinch is currently not working correctly. If you parry early and get hit you can immediately start a swing faster than the maa can combo or parry. There are also some other ways to negate idle flinch but they seem to be random. There is also a bug where when a player does idle flinch it still plays the swing animation. This causes the maa to move back and then move in for an attack only to die immediately because a second swing animation (the real one) starts.

• To the OP: if you’re just starting out, as ppl have said, MAA is hard to pickup and may seem useless. Do visit some duel servers to see how they’re played. There often are MAAs at the top of killboards in pub servers too. Just click spectate and observe. Personal demonstrations available too ;p MAA or not underpowered in the least and is my hardest foe when played well.