Possibility of hiding Steam friend names in-game?

• I’m running my own small server, and currently, if I’m in a game with my Steam friends, I can see green name plates above their heads, even through walls. It’s quite annoying of the fact that if we’re both trying to hide and snipe with some arrows, the other player knows exactly where they are. I can actually locate my Steam friends on the other side of the map.

Is there a setting within the many config files on the server side to force hide all player names? Except, of course, when you’re in range and the standard blue name is at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks.

• You can push H and they go away. Don’t know if that helps you though.

• @Lord:

You can push H and they go away. Don’t know if that helps you though.

I forgot to mention I knew that hotkey. But it doesn’t really help because the others can sort of ‘cheat’ if you follow me.

• I don’t believe there is a server side option for this yet… However, when I’m in game, if my friends are on the opposite team, their names don’t show up at all. Is this not the case for you? They only show up if we’re both on the same team.

Let me know.

• PCServer-UDKGame.ini, [AOC.AOCGame], bAllowFriendNotification=False

I’m not sure if that’s the line I haven’t tested it but try it out.

• @Kimiko:

I don’t believe there is a server side option for this yet… However, when I’m in game, if my friends are on the opposite team, their names don’t show up at all. Is this not the case for you? They only show up if we’re both on the same team.

Let me know.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I run a free-for-all server only, so we’re all technically on the same team, resulting in seeing each others’ name plates. Makes it difficult when we’re hiding behind things, we can easily judge when they’re ready to pull out and fire an arrow etc.

@caramelsauce:

PCServer-UDKGame.ini, [AOC.AOCGame], bAllowFriendNotification=False

I’m not sure if that’s the line I haven’t tested it but try it out.

I thought that might be it as well, but it didn’t have any effect.

• @Goldfire:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I run a free-for-all server only, so we’re all technically on the same team, resulting in seeing each others’ name plates. Makes it difficult when we’re hiding behind things, we can easily judge when they’re ready to pull out and fire an arrow etc.

Ah yes, that makes much more sense now xD. Unfortunately, I checked and couldn’t find anything else other than bAllowFriendNotification=False, which seems to not change anything. I’ll add it to the list of possibles that can be looked into. Sorry couldn’t be of more help :/

Hopefully there’s something else that I’m missing and someone will offer that to us.

• @Kimiko:

@Goldfire:

Ah yes, that makes much more sense now xD. Unfortunately, I checked and couldn’t find anything else other than bAllowFriendNotification=False, which seems to not change anything. I’ll add it to the list of possibles that can be looked into. Sorry couldn’t be of more help :/

Hopefully there’s something else that I’m missing and someone will offer that to us.

No worries. It isn’t a large issue, it’s just a disadvantage sometimes because your opponent knows which direction you’re coming from etc.

• That setting disallows the beacon above friends’ names on enemy team only.

FFA is not effected.