How do you identify an unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled?

• Hey there.

We all have our ways of judging the players we meet in a game, and many of us often make note and define certain players as noobs, ok, or badasses.

But how do YOU recognize/identify the skill of a player?

Personally, I’ve seen a tendancy in my matches:

Newbie - LMB spamming, bad positioning.
    Semi decent - Makes great work of fancy abilities, dodge/parry and strikes.
    Badass - LMB spamming(replace with Mouse Wheel if maul)… good positioning.(and timing)

To me, it seems that the most successful players in a match are the ones who use LMB a lot, quite similar to the newbies, except they know how to position and time their swings better, whereas the players who employ advanced tactics usually end up in the middle.

Of course luck and lag can factor into this as well, like a newbie can rock the chart and a badass can have more deaths than kills one round, but the more you play, the better you solidify your impression of the player.

What about you guys?

• People who know how to feint and step properly with the MAA are the Gods of this realm.

Aside from that EVERYONE IS A NOOB :D

• I have really mastered the spear class, and i could say that i´m a very technical player. I always take advantage of the environment, use kicks and feints in almost every fight where needed, i always take maximum advantage of the reach of the spear, since thats the main reason i started using that class in the first place. I knew that reach could be used to really dominate my opponents.

• Real skill has many components.
    Winning seemingly unwinnable situations with consistency is an indicator.

Awareness. Range awareness. Timing and attack delay. Reading the enemies health state. Picking the right target.

Can’t generalize on the attack….certain situations favour certain attacks.

• Are you better than Jackbaldy?

No? Then you are not skilled. Jest is the only one who beats Jackbaldy.

• noob - just random spam, doesn’t have to be M1, i have seen a lot of noobs using spear lately and spam stab. They don’t block often, they never feint and they often hit teammates.
    semi decent - They think they are good because they don’t use M1. They block most of your attack but sometimes they just play too defensive and die before they managed to get one attack of.
    good - Use M1 when necessary. Blocks when necessary. They kill you before you have a chance of doing anything to them. They sometimes mix a kick into their combo which always catches me off guard.

I would place myself in between semi decent and good :p.

• I recognize a Skillguard with a zweihander LMB’ing everyone to death as pure skill.

Least skilled is MAA’s cheat dodging around trying to avoid things and also people using that cheesy feint, just wrong bro’s.

No, Skillguards == Skill.

• The unskilled cower in corners waiting for their health to regenerate. They strike too early and overestimate their reach, not using their speed, not using sprint to close distance for strikes, falling for every single feint. Rarily uses anything but the standart weapons

The semi-skilled uses a variety of weapons, may occasionally switch weapons(Such as a knight switching from blade to blunt) during a fight, uses a combination of strikes and combo’s to best his opponent. Footwork better than the unskilled, yet no blade dancing master swordsman. Can tell when a strike is a parry for the first time, but still fumbled by combo-feinting. Occasionally uses their class given specialty.

The skilled use the weapons they find working best for them, having mastered them, knowing their reach, their wind-up time, even their damage so they know exactly how many strikes they need to land to bring their foe down. Their footing is masterfull, managing to sidestep thrusts and overheads, while ducking or backstepping swings. Their parry timings are exelent, their feints almost like the work of a magician and their strikes as deadly as balista to the chest.

• I identify skilled players by the amount of respect I have for said player.

Few playstyles that immediately get you my respect:

-MaA’s without a shield, relying on their speed and dodge, and doing it good.
    -Knights that don’t turtle behind shields, and don’t LMB spam.
    -Archers that aren’t afraid to engage in a melee fight, and being able to be a threat in a 1v1 melee encounter.
    I don’t have much respect straight away for Vanguards, as it is in my opinion the easiest class in the game and you can do very little wrong when playing it.

Largest factor for me is peoples attitude though. Just being able to be polite, showing respectful behaviour, sportsmanship, self-control and above all modesty. Being chivalrous, to put it short. :cheers:

• @Siegfried:

I identify skilled players by the amount of respect I have for said player.

-Archers that aren’t afraid to engage in a melee fight, and being able to be a threat in a 1v1 melee encounter.
    I don’t have much respect straight away for Vanguards, as it is in my opinion the easiest class in the game and you can do very little wrong when playing it.

Largest factor for me is peoples attitude though. Just being able to be polite, showing respectful behaviour, sportsmanship, self-control and above all modesty. Being chivalrous, to put it short. :cheers:

Welp, I’m unskilled. :stab:

• @Emerald:

Welp, I’m unskilled. :stab:

Why would that be? The examples I gave you are playstyles that immediately gain you my respect. Doesn’t mean you cannot impress me, or someone else, if you’re doing something different. Hell, there was even a LMB spammer that gained my respect. He was so wildly swinging and running around, that he ran off the cliff :jsmirk:

Unless of course you consider yourself to be discourteous. Ain’t much I can do about that then.

• To be quite honest, I don’t think Feinting works vs unskilled players.

They will not even notice you raising your weapon, they will just continue brute their way over you :P

• @SinerAthin:

To be quite honest, I don’t think Feinting works vs unskilled players.

They will not even notice you raising your weapon, they will just continue brute their way over you :P

Yes there are whole lot of newbies out there who don’t fall for feints because they never intended to block / parry or don’t even know what that is.

• @Siegfried:

Vanguard is actually the hardest class in the game, maybe on the average 64 player teamdeathmatch server its easy to spam a longsword, but against good players its definetly the hardest, especially archer and maa

Knight is the easiest without a doubt, 1H+Shield is the easiest way to go and they have zero respect from me, anyone can pickup that setup and own

• very good players are ppl who stand a chance against high rank knights as vanguard in 1v1

• @x123:

Vanguard is actually the hardest class in the game, maybe on the average 64 player teamdeathmatch server its easy to spam a longsword, but against good players its definetly the hardest, especially archer and maa

A Vanguard is no match for a somewhat decent archer, that’s very true. But there are very few MaA’s with a skill level that high (extremely good positioning and use of dodge), that the Vanguard would require real skill to best that MaA. MaAs advantage is his speed and ability to move fast. A Vanguard is able to swipe a large area quickly clean (LMB), crippling a MaAs advantage.

A very skilled MaA will make short work of anyone in a 1v1 encounter, but those MaAs are rather the exception than the standard.

• Don’t know about other modes, but if you see more than 2 people going after the same enemy in objective mode, you can bet they’re not very good. Except maybe the first guy who went after him, but if he’s any good, he’ll withdraw from this fight before he gets TK’ed.

• @Siegfried:

Actually, I would have a lot of respect for a pro vanguard, since I still really haven’t met one (or maybe that’s what you meant, that they are rare?). It’s a great support class, and newb class for ffa, but it takes a lot of skill to win with a vg against a skilled maa or knight with a shield. And don’t get me started on archers, especially after the latest patch.

• By watching their legs and/or rolling heads.

• @SinerAthin:

To be quite honest, I don’t think Feinting works vs unskilled players.

This is so true. I have to play completely differently when there are new players around, and all I see them do is slash spam.