Problems with long-reach and other weapons

• Hi,

I don’t see much about this, so I was wondering whether I’m the only one not liking this part of the game. The long reach weapons seem implemented unrealistically.

The way to fight against a long-reach weapon IRL would be to dodge or block a swing, and then dart in and make an attack, your proximity to the opponent making it impossible for him to attack further. However, if you do this in the game, the return swing is not only still executed, but is just as powerful as if the very tip of it connects, even when I’m standing helmet to helmet with the guy. This makes it unrealistically hard to get that hit in and survive. Sure enough, any server I join is loaded with wildly swinging Vanguards, mindless I might add to the damage they are doing to their own teammates (which is something else that should be dealt with I think - for one thing, swinging those long reach weapons should cost much more stamina).

A long reach weapon should be pretty much useless when I’m deep inside its arc. If it does any damage at all, it shouldn’t be more than 10% or something. The skill of the Vanguard is to keep the enemy at range, while the skill of the MAA is to try and get close; in the game this is not represented well.

As for the spear, it shouldn’t do that much damage when it’s being swung or doing an overhead at all, even if it is the tip that connects. This of course would be countered by its stabbing attack being the strongest in the game.

On the other hand, stabbing damage by anything without a point at the tip shouldn’t be that high. Yes, you can hurt or at least distract a warrior by hitting him in the face with the butt end of your weapon, but it doesn’t compare to lobbing off his arm or caving in his chest.

The archer’s dagger or short sword seems ridiculously powerful. The archer’s specialty is death from a distance, but there’s no need for him to get any unrealistic help in close combat - IRL once any warrior got within 10 feet of an archer, that archer would run, not try to get another arrow off at that distance and then confidently draw his dagger against the armored warrior with a shield and much longer reach weapon. But from other posts I gather that the archer got a major buff in the last patch - maybe they went a bit too far?

This sounds like a lot of complaints, but I wouldn’t be making them if I didn’t love the game ;) . But it looks like the developers are trying to make it as realistic as possible, and I think it could be even better.

• As a ranged weapon user I agree it is probably too much of a sure thing when you’re face to face and you are still using the range attacks with polearms, and yes, it would be nice if when you swung a weapon you had to hit them within a specified distance window - as dictated by the damage inflicting part of the weapon.

Currently it does seem like there is only hitting range (does damage) and out of range (no hit, no damage). But I could be mistaken. I am not entirely sure that weapons don’t already do less damage when used at cross purposes (ie swiping a spear, or prodding with an axe). I am fairly sure that if you use the prod attack with the axes then it simply knocks them back, breaks attacks (?) and does minor damage. Compared to the possibility of one hit kills to the head.

One thing you don’t maybe consider though is what if I am indeed helmet to helmet, holding a spear (or maybe Billhook for sake of argument), why can’t I adjust my grip and thrust the weapon through into them from close range? Ie, what’s to say I’m not gripping their arm or back as I stab them with the spear, thus doing damage the same as if I were poking them at range?

Also, about hitting inside the arc of weapons (does not apply to swords except at the hilt end), part of the game as it is, is to be able to swing for your target by adjusting your view. One of the tip screens says something like ‘imagine your left hand/fingers are your legs and your right hand/fingers are your hips’ - the best players will attest to this. So even if you are inside or outside ideal range, you can turn with the swing, and also adjust your aim vertically, so that you impact on your target. The most brutal kills that I get swinging with axes and polearms are when I have started my swing and turned my ‘hips’ right around so my axe is basically swinging a wild haymaking arc towards them (I can’t even see the axe).

The archer’s dagger or short sword seems ridiculously powerful. The archer’s specialty is death from a distance, but there’s no need for him to get any unrealistic help in close combat[…]But from other posts I gather that the archer got a major buff in the last patch - maybe they went a bit too far?

Agree. Archers wielding daggers are actually a threat to anyone. It’s too easy for them to parry-attack spam. Probably they should suffer incredibly stamina loss from blocking anything other than similar weapons. There is no way on earth that a dagger could parry the majority of weapons in the game but maybe that is neither here nor there.

• I notice this a lot with polearms and halberds. You get up in their face and their LMB swing still hits you for full damage, even though it has hardly any momentum and the only part hitting you is the wooden staff near their grip. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.