New Gameplay Trailer and GDC Experience

• Developer

-Y0las3-e1M

This is the trailer that we were going around and showing off to all the bigwigs at this year’s GDC.

GDC- The Game Developers Conference that runs every year in beautiful San Francisco and brings together the industries elite players for important business deals and networking as well as keynote speeches and roundtables.

It was our team’s first GDC, and it was wild. Possibly the most frantic and fun week we’ve had to date as a team, we all ended up sick and exhausted at the end of it but we consider the event to have been a smashing success.

From the moment we first arrived at the conference on Wednesday, we didn’t go 10 minutes without getting called, texted or emailed about a meeting so we were literally sprinting across the convention center from building to building trying to meet up with everyone and I have the blisters on my feet to prove it! I’ll briefly list some of the cool things that happened in the intense whirlwind that was our 2012 GDC trip:

• We bumped into Minh Le - the creator of Counter Strike. He actually noticed our shirts and recognized us as the guys working on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and seemed to be geninuely looking forward to it which was awesome to see. Minh was there promoting his new game, tactical intervention which has some crazy stuff like grabbing hostages and shooting at people from cars, check out more on that project over here: http://ti.ogplanet.com/en/main.og

• We met with the very animated Joe Kreiner from Epic Games who had a lot of useful advice for us on marketing and some unreal-specific stuff. (By the way- Epic Games is awesome to indie devs and if you aren’t using the udk, you should be. Grab it here: www.UDK.com)

• We had a meeting with Nvidia, that graphics card company you might have heard about. Just think- Chivalry in 3D where the swords actually come at your face and give you a true sense of depth in the combat. We’re looking into some ways to make that happen as cool as possible.

• We had dinner with Evan Lahti- Senior Editor of PC Gamer at a very nice (read as: expensive) steakhouse courtesy of Tripwire Interactive (makers of Killing Floor, Red Orchestra etc.) Couldn’t thank these guys enough for the dinner and other efforts they made to help make our trip a success. Evan actually ran a story about us on PC Gamer just after GDC and we are in contact with him about future coverage as well.

• We met up with Valve about some kind of PC Distribution service thing they have, apparently the kids these days are calling it Steam. No details on this one for you yet though.

• We also managed to get a last minute meeting with Kirk Hamilton from Kotaku who sat down to talk with us about our game- turns out we made an impression on him andhe wrote us up in an article that hit their main page.

All in all it was a crazy awesome time and we are just now recovering from all that has happened. As you know there is no rest for indie game devs though as in a few short weeks we will be hitting up PAX East, this time with a playable build! If you are in the Boston area and have a thing for swords, decapitations or trying out new games then make sure you stop by and check us out at booth 485!

Here is a picture of our team at our first GDC:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39489438/Misc/TB-GDC.jpg

• These all sound like great news. Congratulations and keep up the hard work!

• As i see trailers i am much more convinced to “sparks at block” idea. And DAMN, that knights are really fast guys ;) anyway, i am not complaining, great news, especially that with 3D O___O

keep on good work!

BTW. great article on kotaku…and it says you can adjust hits with mouse in flight…can’t wait to see that ;)

• Is this beautiful game going to be realeased in 2012?

• Developer

Yes.

• @Tibberius:

Yes.

i will quote this post again in 2013 :D

• @NORDAViND:

@Tibberius:

Yes.

i will quote this post again in 2013 :D

you do that, I’ll make sure to kill you while you’re distracted :D

• I am confident that the developers will release this game in 2012 :D

• @ser:

I am confident that the developers will release this game in 2012 :D

time will tell^^

• @ser:

I am confident that the developers will release this game when it’s done :D

Well said.

• Hey well congrats on your first GDC! Thats great and your game looks seriously promising tho these forums are pretty quiet and I check everyday :D

Hype this bastard! Help us - hype you!

• @gB:

@ser:

Well said.

lol^^

• @NORDAViND:

Wouldn’t that be to soon?

• Nope, it’d be too late. You gotta shell out that half finished product and cash in on release day DLC ;)

• That’s working pretty good for everyone else. I have no idea why these guys are trying so hard. I mean why use an engine that updates monthly and has the best developing elements (IMO) to date?

A word to the developers, guys this game might be to good, calm down! You need to steal from us not allow us to steal your hard work. Everyone but you poor hardworking folks knows that.

• Developer

Haha, while I realize that you guys are just having a bit of fun here it is also telling that as consumers you are so jaded by the rest of the industry. I think the difference is you are used to dealing with companies that have a primary objective of making money and if that comes at your expense they’re ok with that. The difference is with Torn Banner, our primary objective is genuinely to make the best game we can. And we believe that if we keep that as our core goal you guys will help support us and allow us to keep making games. So thank you guys for being part of what has allowed us to get even this far, it means a lot.

• My pleasure, my entire clan has heard of this game just because of the way you communicate with me. I throw in the game as an added bonus to sweeten the deal. I commend ye fellows for that! I’ve followed a great many games but none as devout as this. I’m here atleast twice daily just because of how much you guys care. So, thanks.

• @Tibberius:

Haha, while I realize that you guys are just having a bit of fun here it is also telling that as consumers you are so jaded by the rest of the industry. I think the difference is you are used to dealing with companies that have a primary objective of making money and if that comes at your expense they’re ok with that. The difference is with Torn Banner, our primary objective is genuinely to make the best game we can. And we believe that if we keep that as our core goal you guys will help support us and allow us to keep making games. So thank you guys for being part of what has allowed us to get even this far, it means a lot.

i’m going to pinp this game as much as i can, so it will get as big as i can get it <3

• We march together Vox! Charge!

• We shall march forth together, kinsmen! To pinping arms!