Im tired of your hit trading shit

• I played over 150h and met a lot of people. A lot of people who knew how to exploit this motherfucking hit trading. Its annoying. Has nothing to do with skill.
    Those people know how to correctly abuse (told me) this idiotic system by using strong weapons which 2 hits knights (maul/pole axe)
    You cant do ANYTHING against that. It happens and you are the one who takes the shorter, because you get hit harder and take a combo attack on top of it while you get flinched, or the other way
    This caused me sooo many deaths, just because i attack sooner. Either it happens purely RNG and your oppenent takes the shorter end or you simply are the one who gets the head cut off.
    Apart from all bugs this game has, this one drives me insane. I know its not a bug, but its just annoying shit.
    Why cant it just be whoever hits first, flinches the other? is that hard? The combo/feint system would also make more sense that way damn. Your opponent also knows to block after that instead of hoping (spaming) to release another strike. This way its more competitive

• Hit trading is a part of strategy in Chivalry and only stands out with the knight class just because his weapons deal the most damage. It is though NOT a safe strategy and you will get torn to pieces quickly in team fights if you´ll only trade hits :D .
    So my suggestions: learn to play better, avoid trading hits and smash skulls !!!

• You need to work on your timing. You need to hit them right when they start swinging, or after they miss a swing. Hit trading is not impossible to avoid, you just have to change your play style.

• @Smellyhobo101:

You need to work on your timing. You need to hit them right when they start swinging, or after they miss a swing. Hit trading is not impossible to avoid, you just have to change your play style.

“right when they start swinging” Thats a possible way to trade hit, while he flinch me and has the possiblity to combo attack (im left to block) or I am the one who trades the hit (happened a lot).
    So i was the one who attacks first (cool me) but take the shorter end. Cool.
    Dont forget you can also counter attack right after youve been hit (when you havent been flinched) that way you can flinch your opponent and prevent his combo
    So theres again that thing with no flinch.
    In the end i sometimes read “lucky hit” just because i could trade hit. And those been lucky as fuck.
    It feels pure rng and almost happens every 3 fights (1v11)

“you need to work on your timing”
    What? Im cannot hold time or calculate the time difference when we both charge and try to hit as soon as possible. Either both get flinch or just someone. Thats a difference of tiny ms.
    Tell me friend have you been in the room of spirit and time that you could learn such things

• hit trading is counterable by not doing it, you can force hands with movements, parry feinting and kicking. i constently beat knights with the thrust dagger while they use whatever they want, it takes 5 or so hits but they die. swings are nto set in stone timed, movements and feints change timing to be off beat, hit trading occurs when two players both willingly swing in time with each other. you can break the cycle.

• attack->feint->parry, all I can say.

• @Atanar:

attack->feint->parry, all I can say.

Dont get me wrong, I do that. But there are just times where hit trading happens and that feels PURE RNG. Its frustating getting killed from that or your opponent gets mad because of some lucky hits: “OMFG WTF LUCKY NOOB”
    Indeed, i was lucky but not a noob

• @janii:

I played over 150h and met a lot of people. A lot of people who knew how to exploit this motherfucking hit trading. Its annoying. Has nothing to do with skill.
    Those people know how to correctly abuse (told me) this idiotic system by using strong weapons which 2 hits knights (maul/pole axe)
    You cant do ANYTHING against that. It happens and you are the one who takes the shorter, because you get hit harder and take a combo attack on top of it while you get flinched, or the other way
    This caused me sooo many deaths, just because i attack sooner. Either it happens purely RNG and your oppenent takes the shorter end or you simply are the one who gets the head cut off.
    Apart from all bugs this game has, this one drives me insane. I know its not a bug, but its just annoying shit.
    Why cant it just be whoever hits first, flinches the other? is that hard? The combo/feint system would also make more sense that way damn. Your opponent also knows to block after that instead of hoping (spaming) to release another strike. This way its more competitive

HIt trading is what makes the big slow weapons viable. Maa for instance would DEMOLISH the knight in a 1v1 if there was no hit trading.

• I don’t think you guys know what janii is talking about. Here’s a link to an older thread about this issue
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6102

I’m talking about being able to swing immediately after being hit, which you couldn’t do in the beta. It has nothing to do with wind ups or interrupting them: it’s just a matter of taking a hit, then swinging immediately afterwards for a free hit on your opponent which is impossible to parry because they’re still in their swing animation and can’t bring their parry back up. This has been happening since the first hot fix of the official launch of the game. This patch was supposedly going to fix it, but it hasn’t.

It shouldn’t exist at all, it shouldn’t be a feature, and it shouldn’t be something you can “utilize.” It’s a problem that needs to be removed. It brings nothing but frustration.

I personally agree. Playing MAA and archers are incredibly frustrating when I hit someone for a little damage with a cudgel, and they immediately hit back for nearly all my hp because they didn’t flinch. Even as knight this is annoying because it’s unavoidable damage that will eventually wear me down and kill me when I didn’t do anything wrong.

@Atanar:

attack->feint->parry, all I can say.

Not an acceptable solution, for two reasons.

For one, it doesn’t always work. Some strong weapons have short windups and they will hit even before I can combo-feint into a parry, especially if my initial hit on them was near the beginning of my attack swing.

Second and more importantly, it makes the game incredibly boring. I would have to do that on every attack, and never combo; my kills on everyone would take three times as long. Not to mention the mere fact that I give up all my initiative to the opponent any time I hit him, allowing him the chance to go offensive and hit me back, is ridiculous. Successful aggression should be rewarded, not punished.

• So what we are talking about is:

You hit someone -> your following options are: retreat, combo, feint, block
    However, your opponent starts his windup just the second your attack connects with his head/body/whatever (or right before / after) and for some reason he does not flinch. -> whatever you choose to do next from above won’t work because he will hit you before you’re weapon is ready for any action again.

So basically attacking someone will often give him the occasion to score a free hit back, which is an autowin as long as he has more HP or does more dmg?

If it’s this, fix it please! It’s horrible, it is what makes lmb spamming so strong in comparsion to it’s effort and it is exploited by high rank players which leaves all classes but knight merely pointless in high rank duels. It just punishes successfull striking, makes combos impossible and causes more frustration than archers, teamkillers and cheaters combined. ^^

• Bqsically the issue is: idle flinch is still not fixed. Please fix.

Offtopic: feint animation please

• @manic:

Offtopic: feint animation please

Yes please, it looks like people are having a seizure or lagging out the way it is now.

• @manic:

Bqsically the issue is: idle flinch is still not fixed. Please fix.

This is pretty much what’s causing the issues and it’s damn annoying. I think the real problem is that there’s no “recovery flinch”, so if you’re hitting people while they’re coming out of their swing and are in recovery, you get no flinch on your opponent and they can start another attack immediately.

I think it was Martin or Slygoat who suggested this and it seems plausible. If this really is the problem, then it can probably be fixed relatively easily by adding a flinch mechanic to recovery periods.

• If you know that sometimes an enemy will be able to hit you when going for a risky combo, why do you attempt.to continue comboing? Either feint and block it, or lay off the spam. I’m racking up quite the akount of hours myself and the problem you’re talking about is cause by them simply waiting .8 seconds before attacking… But again, you have all the tools to be able to counter it, you just prefer playing risky and hoping they don’t know better…

• @Derpasaur:

If you know that sometimes an enemy will be able to hit you when going for a risky combo, why do you attempt.to continue comboing? Either feint and block it, or lay off the spam. I’m racking up quite the akount of hours myself and the problem you’re talking about is cause by them simply waiting .8 seconds before attacking… But again, you have all the tools to be able to counter it, you just prefer playing risky and hoping they don’t know better…

Because the enemy can hit you before your first swing ends. It’s not that the player is trying to combo. They are just trying to finish their first swing animation when they are getting hit. There isn’t time to parry because you are still doing your first attack.

• I think something that would help a whole lot would be the ability to combo into a parry. You can start a combo, feint and parry, but that’s very unintuitive and not obvious to the average user. Making attacks able to combo into parries would effect nothing on the high end but make potential hit trading less frustrating for the average player.

• Hit trading is probably the easiest “strategy” to avoid out there. The only way I could imagine you being caught by it is by not blocking properly. IMO it’s just something noobs use against other noobs.

• @vek329:

Hit trading is probably the easiest “strategy” to avoid out there. The only way I could imagine you being caught by it is by not blocking properly. IMO it’s just something noobs use against other noobs.

This is not true, if you land a hit with a large weapon like a Brandistock, the recover time is pretty long. I have had times where I land my overhand on someone not attacking, but their faster weapon got a quick poke off before I could block. So we traded hits, even though that large patch was suppose to fix that.

• @ChuckingIt:

@vek329:

Hit trading is probably the easiest “strategy” to avoid out there. The only way I could imagine you being caught by it is by not blocking properly. IMO it’s just something noobs use against other noobs.

This is not true, if you land a hit with a large weapon like a Brandistock, the recover time is pretty long. I have had times where I land my overhand on someone not attacking, but their faster weapon got a quick poke off before I could block. So we traded hits, even though that large patch was suppose to fix that.

You picked a large, unwieldy weapon with long range… you’re not supposed to be efficient in up close, unsupported combat… there are no weapons that can get a poke in on you in that fashion if you’re backpedaling and properly distancing yourself, which you probably should be if you’re being overwhelmed with a brandistock. You have powerful secondary weapons to help deal with lunging man at arms. All of your axes will twoshot a man at arms, while every weapon for the MAA besides war axe overheads or Dane axe overhead headshots will take 3 hits on you. I would recommend just playing a little more conservatively and facing the limitations of your weapon choice @sharkh20:

@Derpasaur:

If you know that sometimes an enemy will be able to hit you when going for a risky combo, why do you attempt.to continue comboing? Either feint and block it, or lay off the spam. I’m racking up quite the akount of hours myself and the problem you’re talking about is cause by them simply waiting .8 seconds before attacking… But again, you have all the tools to be able to counter it, you just prefer playing risky and hoping they don’t know better…

Because the enemy can hit you before your first swing ends. It’s not that the player is trying to combo. They are just trying to finish their first swing animation when they are getting hit. There isn’t time to parry because you are still doing your first attack.

This just isn’t a reality I face in game. Again, I’m a bit concerned that people are not properly distancing themselves.

If the enemy is using a fast weapon, which are all short, stay out of range of a retaliatory attack. If the enemy is using a slow weapon, you should be able to block or parry… also try jumping or crouching to cancel the lunge forward that all attacks have (even when back pedaling).

• Hit trading has certainly changed since the last patch, and as a long time player, I agree that it is a problem.

It is not a matter of timing or defense. I play MaA a lot, and my strategy prior to the patch was anticipating my opponent’s swing time. I would guess when the opponent would attack, dart in, and cancel their attack with a quicker one. I was extremely successful with this strategy, and drawn to it because of its realism in combative risk taking.

However, since the last patch I’ve found that larger 2 handed weapons, take the maul for example, are not stopped by my attack. The flinch mechanic is now false advertisement. Let’s say I’m using a morning star. If I fail to strike a knight before the maul is just coming over his shoulder, I am most likely going to get hit if I am trying a quick counter attack. And, as you know, a maul strike on a MaA can be a death sentence.

I have adapted, but I am hoping for a fix. I loved this realistic mechanic–of course a stab to the gut or strike to the face would stop a knight from swinging his maul in reality. However, I often find myself killed not because of my error, but because to land a successful blow I must eventually put myself into a hit trade sequence, and as a MaA, I can be one shotted often.

This issue is especially screwy when facing Vanguards with polearms, i.e. the halberd. Often on my screen I’ll be hitting the vanguard just as they are beginning their overhead, and I will be struck despite landing the blow/often killed with no chance to evade (cannot dodge back fast enough, and a good Vanguard will follow you left or right during the overhead animation.)