PLEASE - Add a Campaign Mode

• Hi Guys! I need to say that this game is great, very addicting and I’m amused with it. But, seriously, it needs a greater depth in it’s story to make it more immersive and make its life spam bigger. So, I strongly ask you: please, make a Campaign mode for this game, a big one, not huge necessarily, nor small. I’m not asking you guys to make a super cinematographic story mode, like the hollywoodian Call of Duty or something, but a simple but funny and well done story mode, so it can add a bigger meaning in the fight between Masons and Aghatians. You could add pictures, drawnings instead of CG in cutscenes, for example, or even the own game’s graphics (even better maybe).

Its not only me who is asking, but the majority of the community probably wants it. If you guys from Torn Bane do a research, you will see that about 90% of the reviews sites complain about the lack of a campaign mode in a game with so much potential. So, again, its not only me who is asking, but the community and the specialized sites also.

Thanks and looking forward to it.

• Campaign mode? Are you talking about single player? If so… You can’t be serious bro. Go play Skyrim.

You’re asking a small studio, which somehow managed to pull off a miracle and make a kick-ass online game capable of challenging AAA titles, to waste their limited resources on single player campaign? No no no no no. Single player campaigns, even if made with millions of dollars and dev teams of hundreds of people, only last a few hours and nobody plays them ever again. You just can’t be serious.

FYI I’ve played Chivalry over 50 hours so far. Do the math…

• Campaign mode? No. But more SP content wouldn’t hurt. Someone suggested training mode with infinite HP…

• @Shredmaster:

Campaign mode? Are you talking about single player? If so… You can’t be serious bro. Go play Skyrim.

You’re asking a small studio, which somehow managed to pull off a miracle and make a kick-ass online game capable of challenging AAA titles, to waste their limited resources on single player campaign? No no no no no. Single player campaigns, even if made with millions of dollars and dev teams of hundreds of people, only last a few hours and nobody plays them ever again. You just can’t be serious.

FYI I’ve played Chivalry over 50 hours so far. Do the math…

No, I’m not serious. I’m just kidding. No, its you who can’t be serious bro! Really?

They already have a single player, but with bots, they already have maps, they already have the engine. Add some depth and meaning in fighting bots, add a good lore, add cutscenes and an ending = profit. See? They already have all tools to make a good Campaign, you can see that by the nice Training mode they made. And nobody plays single player ever again? Are you joking? People keep beating games in hard modes etc for the fun and to obtain trophies. They have trophies already, add it for the campaign and people will have more fun sometimes when they want to revive the epic battles and lore.

Not hard at all, this won’t even give them trouble, so your argument "You’re asking a small studio, which somehow managed to pull off a miracle and make a kick-ass online game capable of challenging AAA titles, to waste their limited resources on single player campaign? No no no no no. ’ is invalid. Even because this game isn’t that cheap at all, so resources they have, this game is famous and well framed right now. Besides that, the community is asking. Specialized sites are missing it. So, give us this pleasure, please.

• I think the game is great as it is, but I would really like an open world campaign like Skyrim too. To those who say go play Skyrim instead, I say that the combat engine in Skyrim is mediocre at best even with the best mods I could find. Chivalry on the other hand, has the very best combat engine of any video game ever made! I haven’t played Mount and Blade: Warband or War of the Roses much at all since I got Chivalry; I find their combat engines to be non-intuitive and clunky compared to the refined combat engine in Chivalry. (I still think that they are pretty good though.)

Many of us gamers would like that combat engine in a grand single player campaign. The tutorial was great. It is proof that the team knows how to make a great campaign! Maybe those who are saying that the team is too small to accomplish this are right though; If this is the case they could always hire more people. I also am aware that many don’t want Torn Banners’ attention taken away from the refining of the current game, and that seems like a valid argument, but I hope some day they will make a campaign even if it’s not for a long time.

Here are some things I would like if Torn Banner ever did make a campaign:

-NO LEVELING UP.
    Getting new armor and weapons is enough. I don’t want my character to have such great stats that I can just spam and win. Perks might be alright. Maybe you could earn a dodge perk, or a running attack perk. I just don’t want to have 8000 hp and 7600 stamina. Also, having the world’s enemies level up with your character just seems pointless! Let the player “level up” their ability to control the character instead.

-CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION.
    Being able to choose weapons and armor is great, but It would be cool to be able to design the face, hair, facial hair and build of the character. (maybe not the height since that might throw off the combat.) If allowing for face customization is more programming than the team would like, hair and face customization should suffice. Customization of the armor’s colors would also be very nice. No mismatched World of Warcraft armor please.

-LARGE OPEN WORLD (WITH SIDE QUESTS)
    The bigger the better I say, but if it’s not as big as an Elder Scrolls game, that’s okay. The more side quests the better too, but a solid a main story line will also do just fine. It doesn’t even have to take place in the current Chivalry world. It could be a brand new one. It could be more realistic like Chivalry, or could have Elves, Dwarves and Orcs thrown in the mix. Either kind of world sounds great, just please have little or no magic involved should the fantasy route be taken. The Elder Scrolls games have a pretty good quest system that could be used as a good reference. If the game were to take place in the current Chivalry world there could be two main quests. One for Agatha and one for the Masons. This could be a lot like the Stormcloaks and Imperial quests in Skyrim. (Again please don’t tell me to just go play Skyrim, since I’m writing so much about it. Its combat engine is lame compared to Chivalry’s.) Finally if the game could have one big load at the start of the game and no load screens in game, that would be fantastic! I understand that this would be more difficult to program, and would take more processing power, but it would make the world so much better!

ABILITY TO KILL ALL NPCS! ABSOLUTELY ALL OF THEM!!
    When I get serious about questing i’m a pretty upstanding hero who fights for the good people of the land, but sometimes I just want to be able to kill everyone in sight. Other times I’m not so crazed, but I still want to be able to kill any npc that pisses me off. Thank you. That is all;)

STEALTH AND STEALTH KILLING
    Sneaking around is loads of fun. Stealth kill finishers like those found in the Tenchu games are fun too. The ability to stealth kill innocent npcs as well as enemies is fun too. Dragging/carrying bodies away is a must if a stealth engine is used; It’s also kind of fun. This is lower on my list of wants, but it would add more depth and fun to the game. Did I mention that it would add more fun to the game?

-VAULTING AND CLIMBING
    This would make for far better exploration of the world, and makes the game feel more real. Now the player doesn’t have to be a parkour master, but that would be fine by me If he/she could keep up with Desmond, Altair, Ezio and Connor.

-SAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT
    I’m a hardcore gamer, but I do have other things to do with my time. Saving whenever does make a game easier, but in this fast paced life, it is nice to have the option.

-IT SHOULD BE A STAND ALONE GAME
    Whether or not it takes place in the current world of Chivalry or not, it should not be free to download, since it would take a lot of effort, time and money to make!

Again thanks to Torn Banner and this forum for the best video game yet!!

• Guys, are you seriously asking Torn Banner to make a Skyrim-like single player campaign for Chivalry?

Do you have any clue about how much money, hours and manpower something like that takes?

Improving bot AI is viable, anything else is wasting time and resources that they could be spending in other areas like a dueling system, the flail release, new maps,…

• @Wingy

If you read my reply, you would know that I did acknowledge that it would take a lot of effort, time and money, and that they probably would need a bigger team. I also stated that It could take away from improving the current game, so maybe this is something they could do in the future as a stand alone title that the customer would buy. I do agree that for now they should focus on improving the current game. The bots’ AI could use some improvemnt. The bots don’t block enough.

• I support “-CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION.” but in multiplayer. It would be just great that you can costumize your armor, aswell as your weapons and the way you look!

• No, let’s not ask them to devote massive amounts of money, time and manpower to something many won’t play, or play once and forget, at the cost of spendig time on multiplayer.

That is what the modding community is for.

• Something like this could be viable and actually work if Torn Banner had more staff in their employ to design the campaign with. However, being a relatively small and independent group makes it a lot harder given the manpower and budget restraints. An en-masse recruitment of modders to work on the multiplayer would certainly help with the manpower, and maybe this could be initiated by a second kickstarter project. It’s not an easy thing to do, you know ;)

• @manic

You can’t be serious about the “many won’t play” part! Skyrim, Zelda and many other games like them are very popular with great replay value. (My cousin and I have beaten the main quests on both Oblivion and Skyrim twice.) I have said it before, this could be something that they do in the future as a stand alone title which they should charge for. I think that they should focus on multiplayer right now though. The modding community is great, but Torn Banner has already shown how well they could do a campaign, with the tutorial.

• No, I’m not serious. I’m just kidding. No, its you who can’t be serious bro! Really?

They already have a single player, but with bots, they already have maps, they already have the engine. Add some depth and meaning in fighting bots, add a good lore, add cutscenes and an ending = profit. See? They already have all tools to make a good Campaign, you can see that by the nice Training mode they made. And nobody plays single player ever again? Are you joking? People keep beating games in hard modes etc for the fun and to obtain trophies. They have trophies already, add it for the campaign and people will have more fun sometimes when they want to revive the epic battles and lore.

Not hard at all, this won’t even give them trouble, so your argument "You’re asking a small studio, which somehow managed to pull off a miracle and make a kick-ass online game capable of challenging AAA titles, to waste their limited resources on single player campaign? No no no no no. ’ is invalid. Even because this game isn’t that cheap at all, so resources they have, this game is famous and well framed right now. Besides that, the community is asking. Specialized sites are missing it. So, give us this pleasure, please.

uhhhh …. ok

Depth and meaning, why not add that to multiplayer rather than focus on a aspect of the game that quite frankly isn’t the focus
    that and not everybody is going to work for trophies

Lore, they have lore, it’s vague and not a lot is known about it, but Dark Souls did that, and people seemed to like it. Sides are not good or evil, people have motives and no one calls themselves the bad guys, I think that’s a rather good way to do lore

Despite the popularity of the title Torn Banner studios has not grown in the slightest
    They are still the indie dev team that they were when it released, also you reminded me of Vas which made me giggle

Why not let them focus on getting the game the polished it deserves and ask these things of mod developers? that’s kind of their thing isn’t it? adding things to games the original devs don’t/won’t?

• @Azerai

I think that it is good that people like yourself that don’t want a campaign taking away from the multiplayer aspect are making it known to the developers. I also think that it is good that people like me and Nordikwolf are making our wishes known too. The points that I keep making are as follows:

-I think that this should be a future project that Torn Banner starts on after they have refined the current multiplayer game. (So it could be months or years before they started it.) It should also be a stand alone title that they charge for.

-Torn Banner has already proven how well they could do, judging by how great the tutorial is. So I’m fine with modders doing their thing, but I would really like Torn Banner to grow into a company that could do this.

• ! @samuraigen52:
    !
    !
    ! > @Azerai
    ! >
    ! > I think that it is good that people like yourself that don’t want a campaign taking away from the multiplayer aspect are making it known to the developers. I also think that it is good that people like me and Nordikwolf are making our wishes known too. The points that I keep making are as follows:
    ! >
    ! > -I think that this should be a future project that Torn Banner starts on after they have refined the current multiplayer game. (So it could be months or years before they started it.) It should also be a stand alone title that they charge for.
    ! >
    ! > -Torn Banner has already proven how well they could do, judging by how great the tutorial is. So I’m fine with modders doing their thing, but I would really like Torn Banner to grow into a company that could do this.
    !
    !

To continue the trend of vitally pointless politeness, I agree fully
    Adding to a game is generally a good thing,

and that is what the forums are for

I simply made my points based on the info you provided

• @Azerai

You make a good point. I could have simply typed:

-I think that this should be a future project that Torn Banner starts on after they have refined the current multiplayer game. (So it could be months or years before they started it.) It should also be a stand alone title that they charge for.

-Torn Banner has already proven how well they could do, judging by how great the tutorial is. So I’m fine with modders doing their thing, but I would really like Torn Banner to grow into a company that could do this.

I just feel the need to make these points to the nay-sayers, so that they don’t feel so threatened by a campaign that could be made without taking away from multiplayer.

• @samuraigen52:

@Azerai

You make a good point. I could have simply typed:

I just feel the need to make these points to the nay-sayers, so that they don’t feel so threatened by a campaign that could be made without taking away from multiplayer.

Exactly my friend, even because they pratically already have the SIngle player mode but without any reason, besides training, to kill mobs.

@Azerai:

No, I’m not serious. I’m just kidding. No, its you who can’t be serious bro! Really?

uhhhh …. ok

Depth and meaning, why not add that to multiplayer rather than focus on a aspect of the game that quite frankly isn’t the focus
    that and not everybody is going to work for trophies

Lore, they have lore, it’s vague and not a lot is known about it, but Dark Souls did that, and people seemed to like it. Sides are not good or evil, people have motives and no one calls themselves the bad guys, I think that’s a rather good way to do lore

Despite the popularity of the title Torn Banner studios has not grown in the slightest
    They are still the indie dev team that they were when it released, also you reminded me of Vas which made me giggle

Why not let them focus on getting the game the polished it deserves and ask these things of mod developers? that’s kind of their thing isn’t it? adding things to games the original devs don’t/won’t?

Dark Souls do have a lore, and a single player mode with cutscenes. So this game is yet different, lacks even more in depth.

Regarding the modders, I have no problems with them making a good mod for this game. In fact I would totally love that, and so in my opinion they should treat the Mod Tool release as one of the priorities. Its just that, like I said, they already have all the tools to make a simple Campaign mode, since they already have all maps with bots to be played alone. So it would be fast to add this to the game.

• I think that having a campaign will be GREAT in Chivalry! I’m not saying that Torn Banner must have a campaign mode. I really want one. But if Torn Banner can’t make it just yet, they don’t have to. I just want Torn Banner to keep that in mind about this campaign mode.

Linal66

• Would be nice to edit on a family crest onto your shields and armor. Maybe add minor accessories and stuff.

• @Wingy:

Guys, are you seriously asking Torn Banner to make a Skyrim-like single player campaign for Chivalry?

Do you have any clue about how much money, hours and manpower something like that takes?

Improving bot AI is viable, anything else is wasting time and resources that they could be spending in other areas like a dueling system, the flail release, new maps,…

My thoughts exactly. And to be fair, they already have an amazing multiplayer game. They should just continue focussing on expanding that. And marketing, obviously.
    The game is great, but I think it’s difficult to capture the feeling of it in a trailer. The one on Steam didn’t convince me to buy it at all, but a narrated review on youtube did instantly.

• Just thought I’d like to add my support for a campaign mode being added to Chivalry. Obviously I appreciate this would be a lot of work but there has to be somewhere to move on to once the multiplayer element has been developed further?