When is the Content Release?

• UDK is not really all that great for mapping unless you have CONTENT! Yeah I could spend a few years learning how to create my own models and stuff for this game but it is hard to be a mapping hobbyist for a game without even the basics of Chiv content. So do we have an idea for a release date for mapping content? I really don’t want to waste months learning everything about UDK if all I am going to do is placing assets and objectives in a map and making it playable. Please release something content wise soon so we can start creating some more content leaving, you the Devs on more important things like fixing the many problems with the game, remote admin, easier in game admin, ya know all the things that should have been figured out in beta.

• If your serious about modding the game, then learning UDK is a must.

• I will not be modding the game but mapping for the game. You do not need to learn every in and out of UDK in order to map for them game once the content has been released. Learning the basics of UDK will be sufficient to create maps for the game. Content like game models, textures, and scripts are what is needed to map. Modding is another story completely.

• @Retsnom:

I will not be modding the game but mapping for the game. You do not need to learn every in and out of UDK in order to map for them game once the content has been released. Learning the basics of UDK will be sufficient to create maps for the game. Content like game models, textures, and scripts are what is needed to map. Modding is another story completely.

you don’t have to model, you just have to work together with modelers if you make a map, I would recommend getting some control over the map making tools in udk first but making a good map with everything in it is a lot of work, you will need separate modeler(s) anyway. just ask around, I saw a few modelers around the forums, maybe you could team up with them.

• I mapped in Hammer for AOC so I am familiar already with much of it. If the devs release an SDK with current game models, some game type scripts, that is really all I or anyone needs to start creating maps. There are also Chivalry specific nodes, scripts and models that need to be released as well. Why recreate the wheel if I dont have too? Otherwise I am stuck with decompiling current maps, which I can do, just a pain in the ass.

• As someone very familiar with UDK, and an ex- Environment artist/ Level designer for Chivalry (I made Arena) I can tell you UDK is nothing like Hammer and even if the Devs release an SDK, it will not be as robust in creating custom maps as you might think it.

The reason for that is not the Dev’s fault, and surely you are correct about the scripting instructions needed to make a gametype work and players spawn.

Source Engine uses mostly brushes, which are shapes inside the editor, and custom models are used sparingly. You can get away with creating a layout using these brushes in the editor and texturing them as walls and floors ect. This is how most source games are built. The engine prefers this method.

UDK (Unreal 3) moves away from that approach in that brushes are used sparingly and in most cases not at all. If i recall, I dont think there is one Chivalry map that uses brushes other than to block out an idea for a level or such, and that goes for just about any Unreal game.

I can also tell you Unreal 3 does not like brushes. They take a long time to render, and are very un-intuitive to use compared to Hammer. You will not see your updates in realtime for example, and its hard to tell what exact units and sizes you are getting with them. Frankly, they are a nightmare to work with.

Modeling Architecture is the main focus here, and creating complex material shaders to go with them. Sure, there are elements of the content created that can be turned into a level, but without the knowledge and skills to create new content yourself, you will be heavly restricted in what you are able to accomplish as anything architecture related tends to be very map specific.

You could get away with making a map that relys heavly on terrain elements though, and throw in a few simple exterior meshes to go with it. Interior stuff is alot more complicated as its all designed to fit together like lego’s, and is not always backwards compatible with meshes from other levels and so on.

Im not sure what your ambitions are, but in my personal opinion it would be very hard to create something new and compelling for people to get excited about without extensive modeling and texturing experience, as well as fluency with UDK.

Dont let that stop you though. You can still accomplish alot by learning the tools. I would start with learning the free UDK editor and using there pre made assets to get an idea of what a Chivalry SDK would be like. It would be a very similiar experience.

Cheers!

• nearly 3 years without forum posts and our hero rises from the shadows.

Buddikaman do you have a Polycount Account or are you one of those lone rangers.

• LOLs yeah nice to see you again. I have been playing with UDK but really it is more of a unifying program for terrain and combining models so now I will learn Maya.

• Developer

Worked from 10am till 10pm on it today, its-a-coming.

• @sir_loin:

Damn. Sir Loin is such a boss. He must look like a boss in real life like Tibbs.

(I feel like a dirty creeper saying that. Ugh!)

• @ReMixx:

@sir_loin:

Damn. Sir Loin is such a boss. He must look like a boss in real life like Tibbs.

(I feel like a dirty creeper saying that. Ugh!)

You mean this guy?

• @Kimiko:

You mean this guy?

Exactly how I imagined him! /squeal

• squeals

Kawaiiiiii :3

((I hope you’re enjoying this NOT Sir Lion))