Display Where You Hit From

• Well either a system some fps games use like cs or
    a tiny body icon, corner of our screen, some parts light when they are hit

• Agreed. A direction should be indicated when hit for sure.

• Aye - this (direction of attack indication) is one of those features that’s been in first person games for over a decade, so players expect it to be there.

• I’m against this idea. I believe that situational awareness is part of the game and that it’s up to the player to find where he’s being struck from. Not only that but also the game already focuses on melee combat, giving your opponent little room to hide, since if you get hit, you’ll know he’s in melee range.

Now I can already hear you say “What about archers”. Arrows flying by make a distinct sound, as do arrows hitting objects or you, even. Granted, it’s annoying not to know where that archer is right away, but it’s up to you to find out where he is.

Part of the tactics in Chivalry is to overwhelm your opponent, granting a hit-direction arrow to players would make this tactic less effective, i.e. you’ll become easier to detect, because he’ll know you’re at his back/side. Would be unfair to MAA, who’s tactics partially rely on overwhelming the enemy.

• @SharpshotSid:

I’m against this idea. I believe that situational awareness is part of the game and that it’s up to the player to find where he’s being struck from. Not only that but also the game already focuses on melee combat, giving your opponent little room to hide, since if you get hit, you’ll know he’s in melee range.

Now I can already hear you say “What about archers”. Arrows flying by make a distinct sound, as do arrows hitting objects or you, even. Granted, it’s annoying not to know where that archer is right away, but it’s up to you to find out where he is.

Part of the tactics in Chivalry is to overwhelm your opponent, granting a hit-direction arrow to players would make this tactic less effective, i.e. you’ll become easier to detect, because he’ll know you’re at his back/side. Would be unfair to MAA, who’s tactics partially rely on overwhelming the enemy.

what you say isnt logical for me , both in real life and games you must realise where you hit from

• I agree, when you are attacked from behind you don’t really realise where the hit come from or where did it hit you, but it’s ok for me to play without it, the game don’t lose its “mojô”!

• I say no.
    Never had trouble knowing what hit me and from where, the game shouldn’t go out of its way helping people who have bad situational awarness.

• Sure, but wich person is a person, an everyone as their opinion and it’s as valid as yours. As well, it should be an option…

• Not sure it’s a nice idea for shooters, but when it comes to all melee a direction alert shouldn’t help much due to the fast pace. If you are still unaware by the 2nd hit your probably dead :P

• not showing where you hit from isnt situational awareness…

• Im against everything that clutters the screen even more…

• Sure, why not?

When I am surrounded by 2-3 people, I will never figure out where I’ve being struck

• @gordo1248:

Not sure it’s a nice idea for shooters, but when it comes to all melee a direction alert shouldn’t help much due to the fast pace. If you are still unaware by the 2nd hit your probably dead :P

seeing some enemy go round the side of a building , and he didnt see you , great time to set chase and nail him from behind, hopefully a one swing head chop.

As far as I am aware this game is to portray RL medieval combat , they didnt have hitmarkers, get with the 14th century!

One thing i would like to see is if someone swings at your face and is very close [same with arrows] you get a SMALL motion/vision blur like .3/sec without ANY penalties. however if you DO get struck there should be none[imo]

• I have mixed feelings about this one. I’m not the biggest fan of archers, so it would be nice to know where those sneaky guys are, but I don’t like a lot of HUD type stuff cluttering up my screen. The less HUD the better, even if it is short term HUD. Extreme pain also tends to disorient, so even though you just got shot from behind with a bolt or bashed in from the side with a hammer, you might not be able to tell exactly where it came from due to sensory overload, (If you’re going for realism.)

• @L’saria:

As far as I am aware this game is to portray RL medieval combat , they didnt have hitmarkers, get with the 14th century!

in real life you feel where you hit from, dont you?

• @Agannazar’s Schorcher

If it’s not too painful, yes. I’ve been hit in the head from behind (or was it the side, not sure exactly, my whole head hurt. Eventually I could tell exactly where the blow landed due to bruising, but not initially.) by my brother, it disoriented me to the point that I didn’t know the exact location that it came from. Also imagine a vanguard with his long sword standing behind you and to your left; he swings from the right, hitting your right side. He is still standing behind you to your left. Where would the damage marker be displayed? The enemy is back and to the left, yet the strike landed back and to your right, or possibly just to your right.

(Sorry had to edit it due to poor proof reading. Hope it makes sense. I’m not terribly opposed to markers, just thought I’d bring up some of my feelings on the matter.)

• There are enough sound indicators to allow you to find out where the enemies are…

• @SharpshotSid:

I’m against this idea. I believe that situational awareness is part of the game and that it’s up to the player to find where he’s being struck from.

It’s just a digital representation for the sense of touch.

If you get smacked in the back of the head IRL, you recognize that something just hit you in the back of the head. A simple directional indicator isn’t going to take away from requiring situational awareness. Situational awareness is required for other third-person games as well, even though you can see a full 360 radius around your character. Other FPS games have directional indicators and still require situational awareness.

• @William:

Im against everything that clutters the screen even more…

+1 Couldn’t agree more

After all, this is not freespace, you are not flying a spaceship, you are a bloke with a hand weapon, not robocop or the terminator. I would like all killcam, minimaps, and other UI threads to be moved to a forum called “the void”. Alternatively, play WoTR…

• @HackinTosh:

@William:

Im against everything that clutters the screen even more…

+1 Couldn’t agree more

After all, this is not freespace, you are not flying a spaceship, you are a bloke with a hand weapon, not robocop or the terminator. I would like all killcam, minimaps, and other UI threads to be moved to a forum called “the void”. Alternatively, play WoTR…

I think a simple directional indicator wouldn’t fill it to much, it will only be brief and the arguments of actually knowing where it came from are quite clear. how couldn’t you know if a arrow stuck in your knee came from the front or back, it would show itself.