Some Nooby Questions

• Hey I’m a noob and learning the game bit by bit, but then I thought, “what if I just KNEW the answer to all my questions rather than going through a long process of trial and error?” Any help would be appreciated, no one has to adress all the questions. I’ll start from what confuses me the most:

1. Why aren’t shields OP? I dread the day I see a skilled reactive shield user. I know ppl are like “side step and stab” but that only works if the shield user doesn’t react to what you are doing. When I use the shield I can literally block everything, even against multiple ppl. I know the shield gives you less time to counter an attack than a 2 handed weapon, but why does that matter. If someone blocks my attack, I don’t care how fast they hit, I can block their attack with my shield.

2. What’s the point of kicks? These seem pointless as block breakers, and look like they as a, stamina expensive, knockback to make space or push people into environmental hazards. As block breakers they don’t do any damage and run you out of mana.

3. Why isn’t the Knight’s axe the worst 2h weapon? I don’t know in what situation you would use this thing, other than if you’re king, it works quite well then since you can tank everything. It does above average damage, is slow, and has short reach. Why would you take it over ANY 2h sword or mace? Someone told me its a Maa/archer killer, and yes slicing damage hurts these guys more, but long rage is the bane of these characters. Giving the slowest class in the game a slow short ranged weapon to kill fast characters with fast short ranged weapons seems kind of pointless.

4. Vanguards seem to suck vs Archers. They are the frontline class that is the only class that doesn’t have shields, thats just weird. I know some classes are stronger v others but Archer just seems to be the bane of the vanguard. And is it just me or is their charge attack just very situational?

5. Zweihander vs Bardiche Statistically the Bardiche seems better in every way. I’m guessing its balanced by the fact the Zweihander’s hitbox is out longer making it probably better against groups and/or aggressive players? Are halberds/spears’ hitboxes accurate, in that if head of the weapon doesn’t pass through the enemy it does no damage?

Thx beforehand!

• @theuprising:

As block breakers they don’t do any damage and run you out of mana.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@theuprising:

Got me too.

• Worst community, guess I’m just going to have stick with maul and kill you and your idiot friends, let the tears flowwwwwwwww.

• I like kicks when I get trapped and it pushes the enemy back from me so I can continue to use my long spear-ness.

Also, good for kicking friends for laughs.

• @Kimiko:

Also, good for kicking friends for laughs.

AHEM

• Kicking is a great and powerful mechanic. You can do it by surprise and stop your opponent’s attack, get him at a decent distance to prepare your next attack or eventually kill him if he was low on health before.

• @theuprising:

Hey I’m a noob and learning the game bit by bit, but then I thought, “what if I just KNEW the answer to all my questions rather than going through a long process of trial and error?” Any help would be appreciated, no one has to adress all the questions. I’ll start from what confuses me the most:

1. Why aren’t shields OP? I dread the day I see a skilled reactive shield user. I know ppl are like “side step and stab” but that only works if the shield user doesn’t react to what you are doing. When I use the shield I can literally block everything, even against multiple ppl. I know the shield gives you less time to counter an attack than a 2 handed weapon, but why does that matter. If someone blocks my attack, I don’t care how fast they hit, I can block their attack with my shield.

2. What’s the point of kicks? These seem pointless as block breakers, and look like they as a, stamina expensive, knockback to make space or push people into environmental hazards. As block breakers they don’t do any damage and run you out of mana.

3. Why isn’t the Knight’s axe the worst 2h weapon? I don’t know in what situation you would use this thing, other than if you’re king, it works quite well then since you can tank everything. It does above average damage, is slow, and has short reach. Why would you take it over ANY 2h sword or mace? Someone told me its a Maa/archer killer, and yes slicing damage hurts these guys more, but long rage is the bane of these characters. Giving the slowest class in the game a slow short ranged weapon to kill fast characters with fast short ranged weapons seems kind of pointless.

4. Vanguards seem to suck vs Archers. They are the frontline class that is the only class that doesn’t have shields, thats just weird. I know some classes are stronger v others but Archer just seems to be the bane of the vanguard. And is it just me or is their charge attack just very situational?

5. Zweihander vs Bardiche Statistically the Bardiche seems better in every way. I’m guessing its balanced by the fact the Zweihander’s hitbox is out longer making it probably better against groups and/or aggressive players? Are halberds/spears’ hitboxes accurate, in that if head of the weapon doesn’t pass through the enemy it does no damage?

Thx beforehand!

1. Shields are simply a bit of a crutch. They perhaps help slightly in a 2+ v 1 situation, but a good parry’er can parry just as often as a shield can. Both shielding AND parrying are supposed to be effective ways of reliably blocking an attack if you have sufficient reaction time. The trick to getting around either is using feints or delaying/accelerating the point of contact with your weapon by dragging your mouse either away or towards the swing of weapon.

2. Kicks are helpful when kicking people into walls (easier to follow up an attack), off of cliffs, into spikes, or kicking them into a teammates attack (even more effective with the stun time)

Edit Also kicks do 5 damage, which is just enough to finish people off after certain weapon combos against certain armor types, making said weapons a lot more viable. And as has been already said, you can kick someone out of range (show those warhammer knights the error of their ways).

1. Yes the double axe is considered pretty bad in the competitive scene. The only reason to use it would be if you’re attempting to oneshot archers and MAA’s. But even then, you would have to hit them with an overhead headshot (and only an overhead headshot). And of course, the range leaves much to be desired.

2. Archers somewhat counter Vanguards, yes, but you can usually zig zag while sprinting at them into range. At close range, the vanguard is a hard-counter to the archer, effectively being able to stay out of the range of anything in the archer’s melee arsenal and potentially oneshotting them with overheads. Moreover, as it is a team-based game, you can expect that certain classes or loadouts may or may not be more effective against you.

3. Your information about the Bardiche vs the Zweihander is simply wrong :P. The Zweihander can kill archers in one overhead, the Bardiche can not. More importantly, the Zweihander can kill vanguards in 2 stabs, while the bardiche stab damage is pretty pitiful. While the Bardiche has more range, and can kill knights in 2 overheads, and the Zweihander can not reliably kill a knight in two hits, the need for reliance on slow overhead combos in team games makes zweihander a viable choice.

WITH THAT BEING SAID…

Yes there does appear to be some balancing issues in the game. But it’s a new game, and the team is taking the time to carefulyl monitor the performance of each weapon in the current metagame. They also have to take in account large player games vs small player games, as well as the competitive scene vs the pub scene. Balance PLUS Diversity is a difficult thing to get right in a game with so many weapons :P.

• 1. Why aren’t shields OP? […] When I use the shield I can literally block everything, even against multiple ppl. I know the shield gives you less time to counter an attack than a 2 handed weapon, but why does that matter. If someone blocks my attack, I don’t care how fast they hit, I can block their attack with my shield.

Shield allows you to block at any time as long as you want, but you have less reaction time and because of that it isn’t all that easy to be “skilled reactive shield user”.

Pushing enemies can do the trick if they’re close to an obstacle which is important when someone is using two hander or relies on good timing in to deal damage to you. Sometimes people are so surprised that you can get a hit or two before they’ll realize what’s happening.

3. Why isn’t the Knight’s axe the worst 2h weapon? I don’t know in what situation you would use this thing, other than if you’re king, it works quite well then since you can tank everything. It does above average damage, is slow, and has short reach. Why would you take it over ANY 2h sword or mace?

Because it’s short. It still has bigger reach than some other weapons and you can use it in a crowd more freely than any other two handed weapon. Granted, it’s hard weapon to master, but I can see its uses. With an axe you need to time your hits, because you can’t relay on reach.

4. Vanguards seem to suck vs Archers. They are the frontline class that is the only class that doesn’t have shields, thats just weird. I know some classes are stronger v others but Archer just seems to be the bane of the vanguard.

I think they’re supposed to be prime targets for archers. Their advantage over any other class is the reach of their weapons and their charge attack. They can close in fast and keep enemy at distance. I saw a plenty of vanguards who ran into the middle of enemy groups and swinged left and right, and were still able to make it cost-efficient.

Are halberds/spears’ hitboxes accurate, in that if head of the weapon doesn’t pass through the enemy it does no damage?

About spears and any weapon - I guess - I’ve noticed that if you miss you initial push with a spear and manage to “correct” it by placing your aim on the enemy before push is completely over it still counts. Sometimes it looked weird, especially when I had “weapon pull” (when you “end” your push) animation.

• I only ever use shields if I’m up against a ton of archers, and even then, the good ones can hit your feet. This causes reduced damage, but it still adds up, plus it makes you stumble and can panic or frustrate some players. Otherwise, I prefer to parry. It’s nice and fast, doesn’t obscure your vision, and doesn’t show your hand to the enemy: they have to take a swing at you, not knowing whether you’ll be able to defend yourself or not.

As a MAA I kick fairly often. If I’m in close with a full-health vanguard or knight, there’s no way I’ll be able to combo them down before they 1-shot me with an overhead that I’m unlikely to be able to block (since you probably can’t see the tip of a very long weapon in very close combat). A kick breaks up their routine while dealing a little damage, and gives you a chance to regain the initiative. Plus, as mentioned somewhere above, the tiny bit of damage is sometimes all you need, so why not go for an unblockable attack?

Each class has its weaknesses. I hear a lot of people complain about archers, but as a MAA they’re not much of a threat to me so long as I keep moving and properly prepare my equipment (shields if necessary, slashing weapons if I’m sure I’ll be going after archers most of the time). However, vanguards are a real pain in the butt, as it take time and a lot of energy to get past their pokes, and any van worth his salt will be good at parrying. Even if you get within striking distance and manage to fake them out, it takes 2-3 hits, and they can easily trade hits and kill you outright if you aren’t careful. I find knights to be much easier targets.

• I’m surprised nobody linked the first and second question.

Shield is not OP also because of the kick!!!

kick is the ultimate technique against heavy defense leaving the other open for circling and LMB smashing to death.

One setup i often see against shielder: I attack, He shield, He attack, I parry, I attack, He shield, He attack, I parry, etc…

Replace the attack by a kick and he’s dead.