Self-Damage Friendly Fire

• Add a server option to enable attacking teammates to reflect the damage back to the aggressor.

Why? Friendly fire is an important inclusion to Chivalry’s gameplay. In the days of AoC, servers without it yielded in even more thoughtless spam than today. However, because most players lack much concern for their fellows, friendly fire is a poor discouragement from careless swinging.

Using this option will punish a player for poor play, instead of his teammates. It will also help mitigate trolling by making teamwounding impossible.

However, it will also open the door for griefing via running into firepots and swings deliberately. But no more griefing than before, I don’t think. It will also be less immersive and realistic.

The cons of this option justify making it a server option. Despite them, I believe it would be a useful feature many servers would prefer.

Mount & Blade made excellent use of this feature, and if my memory serves me correctly it’s fairly standard in all the games.

• I’m a proponent of realism, and as such I would prefer normal FF (and trust me, in the few days I’ve played this game I’ve already come to hate with a vengeance those morons blindly swinging their two-handed weapon!).

I think a more drastic measure, not affecting in-game play itself, could help, for instance 3 TK’s in a single game takes away the weapon you unlocked last, forcing you to start from 0 to unlock it again. This would also teach archers to not fire into a melee. While TK’s by those equally uncaring firepot throwers are just as annoying (ANY TK is annoying :D ), I suppose those could an exception, or count for only half or something like that.

Of course, if they add another realistic touch, such that hitting a warrior always breaks off his attack (flinches?) unless it’s already more than halfway there, and an attack with a two-handed weapon fixes you in place so you can’t do a 360 Circle of Death, that should force them to think before they swing too… Too often do you see those 3rd person players start an attack with their back to you, and then turn mid-swing all the way around to hit everything around them.

• That is indeed a very drastic measure and it is even exagerated in my opinion. I must admit I can recall one instance of me killing three people with the same weapon, the Halberd. The thing is I did, carefully strike with it, I was piking, trying as much as I can not to hit my allies, but sometimes circumstances just go against you. you rush to the back of an enemy to help you ally and you impale him along, a MAA dashes in for the kill while your pike is starting and gets killed in the process. Besides, this measure could very much encourage trolls to abuse it: “oh I dont like this guy, guess ill just charge in his strikes, and when he will kill me thrice he will lose his weapon.” Of course I guess anyone could just count to two and if they feel particularly unlucky they just leave the server.

And I dont see how it would be more realistic than self-damage friendly fire, in fact, if I was on a battlefield and an ally was randomly swinging and killing our own people I wouldnt shake my finger and say: “well, ill have to confiscate your weapon now”. I would straight up kill him, and self-damage does reflect that a whole lot more and is in a way more realistic than forcing you to re-unlock weapons.

• It would be cool if the self-damage mech worked after they killed 1-2 players. So this would only punish a person teamkilling on purpose. But you could make the self-damage gentler if they hadn’t killed anyone before.

• @Matti:

It would be cool if the self-damage mech worked after they killed 1-2 players. So this would only punish a person teamkilling on purpose. But you could make the self-damage gentler if they hadn’t killed anyone before.

Unfortunately, this removes the entire point of the suggestion. Point being, to encourage newer/poorer players to be more careful with their swinging, as well as to shift the punishment for their play onto themselves rather than others.

It is a punishing feature. But that’s another reason why I’m suggesting it be a server option. That’d also please the people who prefer realism.

• I think FF is fine as is, and should stay as is. Sometimes it is difficult to avoid, even if you are going out of your way to be cautious about it, but that’s just the nature of this kind of game and the themes therein.

If you want to punish someone who has killed a friendly. Execute them on the battlefield yourself.

• @Everchosen:

If you want to punish someone who has killed a friendly. Execute them on the battlefield yourself.

Deliberate tking is generally against server rules, no matter what. It’s also frowned upon, even if it’s revenge tking. It often starts cycles of revenge tking that don’t readily stop.

It’s worth repeating that the suggestion is a server option. Not all servers would use it, similar to forcing first person perspective.

• It’s the best idea I have heard so far in terms of limiting friendly fire - it might be the only way how to make people care for their teammates other than the risk of being votekicked when you just kill way too many friendlies.

• I think I’d rather leave the damage as it is, however the point wise penalty should be increased as it stands it hardly takes enough points away to make you want to be more careful. Killing a few teammates does not show on your score.

• @qlum:

I think I’d rather leave the damage as it is, however the point wise penalty should be increased as it stands it hardly takes enough points away to make you want to be more careful. Killing a few teammates does not show on your score.

I too think the penalties should be harsher.

• @qlum:

I think I’d rather leave the damage as it is, however the point wise penalty should be increased as it stands it hardly takes enough points away to make you want to be more careful. Killing a few teammates does not show on your score.

Reducing a kill each time you tk is a good start with this to improve normal friendly fire. I’d still like to see that alongside the suggestion, though.

• @NikolaiLev:

@qlum:

Reducing a kill each time you tk is a good start with this to improve normal friendly fire. I’d still like to see that alongside the suggestion, though.

I prefer adding a death.