Patch notes are WRONG, server browser STILL broken

• (formerly titled, How hard could it be to make an accurate server browser?)

known issues:

Player numbers grossly inaccurate.
    Ping reported incorrectly
    Not all servers are displayed
    “server information” tab inaccurate

–------------------------------
    Original post:

And why can’t Torn Banner manage it? Number of players, ping, it’s all completely fucking wrong most of the time. I mean it’s grossly inaccurate. 31 of 32 players? Actually 2 people in there. I have like a 5 to 1 ratio of minutes spent stumbling around the serves basically at random looking for a playable one, to actually playing the game. This shit is unacceptable for a 25 dollar game.

Fix it, now.

• I do not pretend to know the development cycle of TB. But, what I do know is that there is more than one bug in their buglist. Perhaps it’s hacking, map exploitation, server performance, or client crashes. While it’s understandable to be frustrated, yelling at someone will not get the job done faster. You should have learned this much earlier in life.
    _
    edit: reworded some things_

• Whatever other issues may need tackling, like i said, this undeniably, unarguably, unacceptable for a 25 dollar game.

And i am typing, not yelling.

• Don’t you click on Server Info before you join a game?

• Strangely enough the server browser is giving me shit today aswell. All the mickey mouse workarounds aren’t working properly, sadly.

• It is pretty special… I have a small set of favorite servers that I regularly play on and it’s a crapshoot whether they’ll be empty or full, but they always say 30/32 or 32/32. It’s probably more on Steam’s side than TB’s, but it really shouldn’t be that hard to figure out.

• I built a Chrome extension that converts IP addresses to links that automagically launch the game for that game-monitor.com site, but they have the wrong port numbers so it is useless. I tried injecting a java applet in the extension to run new server queries to grab the right ports in the background but Chrome is just giving me the shits about allowing it to work…

I could build a dirty java application that could be an ugly server browser if there’s enough interest since I have the backend java code working already to query the master servers and individual servers… You just would have to exit the game to use it. Maybe alt-tab might work. Not sure.

• @suge1w:

Don’t you click on Server Info before you join a game?

The information contained in that tab is also grossly and unacceptably inaccurate.

• @homerow:

Fix it, now.

Please, maybe?

In any case, this has been stated many MANY times, this fix is in the works. So when the next beta patch is released, this will be one of many new fixes that will occur.

Thanks for your continued patience.

• @Kimiko:

@homerow:

Fix it, now.

Please, maybe?

24.99 + weeks of putting up with a broken game, and a polite request is in order? I strongly disagree.

And it’s not a request, it’s a demand, and a frank one at that. I payed my money for a working product, and in absence of that i feel entitled to make that demand. Over and over again in chorus with everyone else who payed for a working game if need be.

I will say however that it is good to hear the issue is going to be addressed. However results are what matter, and if and when those results come, my frustrated demands will be replaced with grateful appreciation. Which will come along with what really matters and what you already have; the money.

• How hard is it to use manners… too hard apparently.

• The reason must be using Steamworks server info. If TB had their own Masterserver, there would be no problems at all.

• The problem is annoying, but acting like an entitled brat will not get it fixed any sooner. Purchasing a license to use the software does not entitle you to demand anything, unless you can prove the product description on Steam or wherever you purchased it flat out lied to you. Even then, it’s a $25 game with 99% of its features working correctly, so don’t pretend like this is some monumental consumer rights issue. It’s not.

Also, since you specifically called out the server browser for being bad, let me tell you: the problem is not with the browser. The browser works just fine; it reports exactly what the servers tell it to report. It is a bug in the game server code itself, which is many times more complex than the server browser.

Now that this is out of the way, how about some useful information that might actually help you? When you select a server, right-click on it and select view info. Here you can see the player list. Any player that is listed for being connected to the server for more than a couple of hours is not actually connected to the server. And so, voila, you can now see how many slots are open.

Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon. Yes, it should have been fixed sooner. No, it’s not worth raging about.

• Ignoring the rest of your utterly and painfully irrelevant screed, 99% of the features working correctly?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

EDIT:

Just to be clear, even after their big patch, there is still a number of game breaking bugs including but probably not limited to rounds never ending and re-spawns breaking in the middle of the game leaving the player in limbo for an indeterminate amount of time, or even permanently. And then there’s also less serious stuff like some of the weapon choices failing to show up in the character loud out screen. This is undeniably a fry cry from a 99% functional game.

• @homerow:

Ignoring the rest of your utterly and painfully irrelevant screed, 99% of the features working correctly?

EDIT:

Just to be clear, even after their big patch, there is still a number of game breaking bugs including but probably not limited to rounds never ending and re-spawns breaking in the middle of the game leaving the player in limbo for an indeterminate amount of time, or even permanently. And then there’s also less serious stuff like some of the weapon choices failing to show up in the character loud out screen. This is undeniably a fry cry from a 99% functional game.

You do know every game have bugs in them and so far I haven’t had any problems with the game.

• @Trowa:

@homerow:

Ignoring the rest of your utterly and painfully irrelevant screed, 99% of the features working correctly?

EDIT:

You do know every game have bugs in them and so far I haven’t had any problems with the game.

Of course i know that, and that’s understandable. I never intended to make an issue out of those other bugs at all at this point (even though we all have every right to if we so desired). I was simply pointing out it’s ridiculous to say that 99% of the features in this game work correctly. That’s praise that is currently unearned and not reflected in reality.

• I have to agree with homerow on this one…

This game is far from 99% working… lols try running a server or just simply administration remotely. OH wait, you cannot. There is far too much still not working correctly and too many bugs and all the dev nut swinging will not make the bugs go away either but your blind faith that the game is perfect will not allow you to see the bugs, so it is all good.

While I am starting to grow almost fond of the game, there is much that needs to be address to alleviate the frustrations of players that expect a certain level for a paid game. Much of that level has not been reached yet and it is the hard core fans that are and will be keeping it alive. It is very hard for even seasoned vets to conform to hurry up and wait. The complaints are legit, the devs know most of them. Lets hope they work more on fixes than content because you can only polish a turd so far…

• While this needs to be fixed asap, I can’t exactly complain about paying for a game that I enjoy immensely and have put over 160 hours into.

• @bada:

I do not pretend to know the development cycle of TB. But, what I do know is that there is more than one bug in their buglist. Perhaps it’s hacking, map exploitation, server performance, or client crashes. While it’s understandable to be frustrated, yelling at someone will not get the job done faster. You should have learned this much earlier in life.
    _
    edit: reworded some things_

Hes not yelling, but ill say this. Ive played this game when it was a mod and it worked 100 times better than this and paid nothing. Now we are all playing 25$ accept the lucky bass turds that got it for 12, and have more unresolved issues. Just asking for a fix asap is all

• Asking and demanding is a pretty fine line people.

I guess I’m lucky enough to have some perspective. AVP2012, BF3, BC2, Homefront, RAGE… these were all AAA titles that had enormous budgets and tons of support. They all cost $50-$60 and all of them had/have more game breaking issues than Chivalry, which is an indie game developed by a small studio as a Kickstarter project.

Besides the server browser issue, the lack of idle/recovery flinch and some of the shield bugs, this game is pretty damn spot on for being what it is. I’d take it anyday over the supposed “refined AAA quality” titles shoveled out by the larger developers and publishers, which usually just translates into “look at our shiny new graphics!”

Game disconnects and sticks players in idle? AVP, BF3 and BC2 all had this issue. BF3 was notorious for this for quite some time.

You think some of the weapons not appearing is an issue? In BC2, you could shoot through people, see their character model react to the shot, hear the character yelp in pain, watch blood fly out of his body and do a total of 0% damage for your trouble.

Torn Banner are aware of the issues with their game. They are actively working to address and fix them. But remember, they are a small studio, and an online studio at that. They don’t have the resources these larger developers have and have still managed to create a superior product as far as I’m concerned. They’ve done one hell of a job, a lot more than many of us could accomplish. The balance is near perfection, the actual game mechanics are solid, innovative and intuitive and the game still delivers reasonable eye candy and glorious gameplay while costing 50% less than most of the carbon copies shoveled out by the large developers.

Be patient. Some of the bugs are very frustrating, I agree, but I’m also really thankful that we have what we do in this game.