Will there ever be support for single core processors?

• So, I bought this game thinking I could run it. Didn’t realize it didn’t support single cores until after I bought it. Anyways, will we see support for single core processors any time? I was really looking forward to playing this game.

• I’m not affiliated in anyway with the developer, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

What kind of error do you get?

I’ve said it before to other people, you can build a cheap but working modern gaming system for $200-$300 and run it on low-medium settings.

• None, the game just hangs. I’m working towards a desktop though, hopefully getting one by the end of this month.

• It’s not necessarily your CPU, could be graphics or a number of other things.

• Could be, but I doubt it. The gpu I have seems to be able to run the game. Also, on the “known issues” thread it states the game hangs with single core processors.

• Single-core cpu?
    Are you serious?

• Yeah, I have a terrible laptop.

• @Wibsey:

Yeah, I have a terrible laptop.

Please, please get a new laptop.
    Anything by intel core2 i5-7.

• Because single core processors only become more outdated and rare as time goes by, I wouldn’t expect any developer to ever go back and add support for them.

• I would think laptop gaming is too expensive, and desktops are the way to go unless you are on the move. A gaming desktop (assembled at home) would be around €250-400 this side of the pond, but there is a learning curve involved. You can usually get lots of help online about finding compatible pieces, e.g. overclock (uk), novatech (uk), tomshardware. A bit more expensive if you are getting a monitor but there is always old stock lying around or on ebay which works perfectly.

• @Rognik:

Because single core processors only become more outdated and rare as time goes by, I wouldn’t expect any developer to ever go back and add support for them.

You make it sound like it takes effort to support single core processors; it’s quite the reverse, the only reason the game might fail on a single core machine is if it checks and then intentionally errors.

• They still make single cores?

• I don’t think its ever about supporting single cores, in general everything how good it may be optimized for multi core does not get much less optimized for single core cpu’s, in general there is not much to improve for the singular core.

• It is also quite unlikely as the resources required for the game are confined to the needs of the Game Engine (Unreal 3) and every game I came across that uses the U3E require at least a dual core CPU (RO2 recommends a Quad Core for example)

If this was running on the U2E, you’d might get away with support for single core CPU’s, but since it’s the U3E, I think you’re out of luck.

Some info:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/1645/3

"The new Unreal Engine 3 is designed for multi-threading, and will make good use of dual core CPUs available when games on the new engine come out……"

Compared to other Game Engines, the Unreal Engine has always been more demanding on CPU’s rather than GPU’s…… going back to my RO2 example (I’ve more knowledge for that game, so I keep using it) when it first came out, many people complained about unstable gameplaying and crashing, even though they had top of the line graphics cards… their problem was that they had pretty crappy CPU’s… that and Tripwire modified the U3E so much for RO2, they dubbed it the U3.5E and RO2 ended up requiring a lot more system requirements than most other U3E games, specifically recommending that you have a Quad Core CPU.

I think based on your situation with only having a single core CPU and this game needing at least a Dual Core CPU is obviously the problem, but I doubt there will be any roll back in the game to support single core CPU’s.

#1 - Single Core CPU’s are going the way of the Dodo and
    #2 - To support Single Core CPU’s, the entire game & engine would need to be restructured from the ground up and thus, most likely not worth the time, money and resources of TBS.

An extreme example, but it’d be like someone trying to reconstruct Half-Life 2 to work on a 386 PC… it might be possible, but in the end, you’d have one ugly game with poor graphics and half of its content chewed up just so it could run on that old system.

Besides upgrading to a new system, I’d say you’re out of luck.

Always check a game’s system requirements prior to purchasing so you don’t run into this mess in the future.

A good site that can do this for you is this:
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

^ Select the game in question and click the “Can you Run it” button. It will run a Java app (perfectly safe but if you are updating or installing Java, it will ask you for a toolbar, uncheck that) which will scan your system and show you how your machine will hold up against the selected game.

• It’s much more likely that the reason the game doesn’t work is because it uses instructions that older CPUs don’t implement.

For non-techies, it’s a lot easier to say “the game needs more than 1 core”, rather than “the game needs support for the SSE2 instruction set”.

While this simplification is not strictly accurate (there are a few single-core processors with SSE2, and a few multi-core processors without SSE2), it’s good enough for 99.8% of potential customers.

Of course, a version of the game could be compiled with SSE2 instructions disabled, but they don’t bother because the game would run very poorly on most pre-SSE2 CPUs - regardless of how many cores are present.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

Of course, a version of the game could be compiled with SSE2 instructions disabled, but they don’t bother because the game would run very poorly on most pre-SSE2 CPUs - regardless of how many cores are present.

That’s assuming that Torn Banner has access to the Unreal Engine 3 source code. I don’t know if they are a full licensee or not.

• You tried other UE3 games? Because hardware compatibility is a fairly low level thing, TB probably can’t do much about that. And i would actually also think that it is someone else causing you system to not run the game. Like your gfx card not supporting DX9.

• I don’t think I actually own any other games that run UE3. My graphics card definitely supports Directx 9.

• @Wibsey:

I don’t think I actually own any other games that run UE3. My graphics card definitely supports Directx 9.

You can always try running the UDK (it comes with a free super cutdown version of Unreal Tournament 3) that you can try…