Greetings from a New Player:

• Hello everyone, my name is Cpt-Praxius.

I just registered to your forums as I have just stumbled upon this game in the last week, did some research, looked at some gameplay videos and reviews and this looks like a very interesting & fun game. I will be getting this game in the next couple of weeks (for Christmas) and figured before I get it and jump in blindly, I’d first get familiar with the community, the forums and any tips, tricks and hints any of you all have…… by reading through the forums.

I don’t need any tips and tricks just yet, but I will ask when the time comes. This is more of an introduction… if you have pointers to give me at this time before I join in playing, by all means.

A bit about myself:

I’ve been playing games since the Atari days in the early 80’s… been playing FPS’s since Wolf3D and DooM… got into forums through Half-Life 1 / TFC… but in the last few years, I have been mostly concentrating on Red Orchestra. Been playing RO since it’s mod days for Unreal Tournament 2004 and now currently playing Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

The game was developed by a team much like the team that created this game and what appeals to me from both Tripwire and the Devs here are their unique approaches to their games, in ways that break from the norm.

I’ve even noticed that in the TW Forums, this game has caught a lot of attention and there’s a number of RO players who play this game & enjoy it.

I haven’t played the game yet, but based on what I have seen so far, the Developers have done an amazing job for their first big retail game. I wish them and the community the best of luck and the best of futures.

One thing I have seen from gameplay videos is that it seems a lot of players seem to pick the Vanguard most of the time… or is this the case?

I’m one of those kinds of players who likes to pick classes that are not commonly played/used to balance things out.

Oh and one more thing… just quickly looking through the forum threads and some of the videos I have seen, Team Killing seems to be quite the issue, which is understandable considering the nature of the game and the close quarters combat… hopefully my experiences with Red Orchestra will help me reduce the amount of TK’s I end up causing, as that game isn’t very forgiving for TK’s either and nobody likes them.

See you all on the battlefield soon. 8-)

• A warm welcome to you and I hope to see you on the battlefield.As you said the Vanguard is quite popular, right now it is my favorite.I think you will like the man at arms.

• Welcome to Chivalry! I hope you enjoy the game as much as we do :)

• Welcome Capt Praxius, you’ll likely be chopped to bits when you first play but you’ll quickly improve through trial-and-error and by picking up tips here. I’ve improved a lot since last week when I first started playing.

I personally don’t find TKs to be too big a deal, but I think any issues people have with it will diminish once players become more accustomed to holding back on striking into a group of teammates. As for blatant TKs, a well-admin’d server will typically handle that quickly via kickban.

I’m still learning the classes but I do enjoy Vanguard. Let’s me cowardly poke at the savages from a distance without fear of death!

• Thanks all… so far, even by poster’s attitudes, it all seems like a similar atmosphere as RO… and in both games, you die a lot starting off (even if you’ve played a previous version of RO like I have, you get chewed up a lot at the start)

I’ll probably lean more towards the Archer & Knight, with the Man at Arms as another possibility if I’m not too good at one of the previous two (All three have their appeals for me)… but like in TFC/TF2 and RO, I usually use all classes & get as good as I can with each… being better with some, while sucking with others… such is life :P

Intentional TK’ing exists in every game, so it’s not so much an issue for me… but in games like this one and RO, TK’ing can happen a lot more often than other games. In this game, it’s mostly related to tight combat and a lot of people in a close proximity… in RO, it’s mostly due to people not properly identifying their targets before they shoot, especially at long distance.

These things happen.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Thanks all… so far, even by poster’s attitudes, it all seems like a similar atmosphere as RO… and in both games, you die a lot starting off (even if you’ve played a previous version of RO like I have, you get chewed up a lot at the start)

I’ll probably lean more towards the Archer & Knight, with the Man at Arms as another possibility if I’m not too good at one of the previous two (All three have their appeals for me)… but like in TFC/TF2 and RO, I usually use all classes & get as good as I can with each… being better with some, while sucking with others… such is life :P

Intentional TK’ing exists in every game, so it’s not so much an issue for me… but in games like this one and RO, TK’ing can happen a lot more often than other games. In this game, it’s mostly related to tight combat and a lot of people in a close proximity… in RO, it’s mostly due to people not properly identifying their targets before they shoot, especially at long distance.

These things happen.

RO, Ragnarok Online?

• @acrh2:

RO, Ragnarok Online?

Red Orchestra.

• @acrh2:

RO, Ragnarok Online?

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

By Tripwire Interactive, whom started out much like Torn Banner Studios did, by first making a mod, then making that mod into a kick-arse game.

For me… even though I haven’t played Chivalry yet, both games will suit both my needs for FPS’s that cover eras/battles/gameplay styles that aren’t covered much by others.

Despite any possible bugs, glitches or issues of gameplay that may come my way, this game is definitely next on the purchase list… and I will be pimping it out to others whom I think may be interested.

Gotta support the little guys after all… and I never got into the Battlefield / Call of Duty style games, there’s just not much thinking involved with those games (for me anyways)

• Brace your self for massive amount of TK by your teammates and by you.

• @NICK:

Brace your self for massive amount of TK by your teammates and by you.

Chances are, for the first while, until I get used to the maps and objectives, I’ll focus on being a support role ala Archer, so that I don’t get in the way of my team mates or hack them by accident while turning or something. From playing many games over the years that had various archery roles & tactics, most recently Skyrim (through I feel their arrows go pretty far than what they should), plus my own real life archery training over the years…. I should do pretty good for a new guy.

But accidents do happen :p

• Welcome! Crom demands souls! Get on the battlefield and send him some!

Enjoy yourself mate. See you on the battlefield. :)

• Just jump right into the chaos and get your head smashed in. Be sure to lay off the LMB when team mates are around. One you have been bloodied a few times, find a good duel server and learn how to fight 1 on 1. This will help you get the combat basics down. Then head over to team games to get ruined again but you’ll get a few kills. Rinse and repeat. That’s what I do to keep things fresh.

• Hey Prax, I remember you from Ostfront and I think you were around during the Combined Arms days as well. Nice to see you. Just got into this myself and am having a blast. Chiv doesn’t provide the strategic satisfaction RO did, but as far as visceral combat goes – it can’t be beat. Huck a javelin through someone’s face and you’ll see what I mean.

See you out there man!

• Welcome! Hope to see your sword by (not inside) my side!

• I do remember you from RO2 :)
    Welcome to Chivalry, I think you’ll like it.

• Welcome sir, I hope you like hats.