How hard could it be to not lock every topic of controversy?

• indeed the masons are winning so far =p

• c’mon guys, it’s Christmas in like 20 days! We should all love each other n’ shit (yes, even archers).

• @Able:

I knew it was just a matter of time until team jackbaldy aimed its childish tantrums at Vq. I thought they’d somehow mention us in their tourny DQ drama, but it looks like they saved it all for a completely unrelated post.

Wait what? Tourney DQ?

I’m out of the loop :?

• I’m the Mastermind behind the Clan VQ or Vanquish…There I said it, I formally resign as The Batman.

• Its not the watergate conspiracy. riddle me this riddle me that who’s …
    Actually I don’t really see any problem that they know each other or play in the same clan tbh.
    even the top banana should be able to play were he is amongst old friends and can relax.
    Its not really an issue of contention that needs to be micro managed.
    I knew Fluffykins was an old bat btw =p

• I am not in any clans and have no “affiliation” with any clans either. I have not seen a post on this forum locked that in my opinion did not deserve it. It’s usually personal feuds that should be dealt with through pm or some other non public method that get closed, and it is deserved 99% of the time.

• Seriously no one can tell me what this thread is about. Then for shame you shameless post count whores. +1

• Heres the threads in order of being posted:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6806

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6829

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6862

TL;DR version: (I’m a team Jackbaldy member so ill try to just tell the facts without bias)

Player Zeroace played on team Jackbaldy against Forgotten Kings. Zeroace was in FK so at the time he was wearing the FK tag. Tournament hosts tell team jackbaldy to remove the tag or zero is DQ’d. They argue about that and eventually zero removes the tag. A member of team Jackbaldy says something related to sticking prize money up the tournament hosts ass and the team is disqualified.

• So basically what I gather from this is team JackBaldy is a bunch of whiners?

• @Smellyhobo101:

Heres the threads in order of being posted:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6806

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6829

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6862

TL;DR version: (I’m a team Jackbaldy member so ill try to just tell the facts without bias)

Player Zeroace played on team Jackbaldy against Forgotten Kings. Zeroace was in FK so at the time he was wearing the FK tag. Tournament hosts tell team jackbaldy to remove the tag or zero is DQ’d. They argue about that and eventually zero removes the tag. A member of team Jackbaldy says something related to sticking prize money up the tournament hosts ass and the team is disqualified.

So basically it’s about something that’s even more trivial than me eating an apple for breakfast this morning. Christ, I’d hate to think what would happen when there’s real drama that goes on.

• @MedievalFantasy:

So basically what I gather from this is team JackBaldy is a bunch of whiners?

It would appear so. They also seem to enjoy posting overly long chat logs that no one would ever want to read.

• I’m inventing a new clan called So Basically.

• @Eek!:

So basically it’s about something that’s even more trivial than me eating an apple for breakfast this morning. Christ, I’d hate to think what would happen when there’s real drama that goes on.

While i agree that its been blown out of proportion, I dont think what happened was fair. They start making up rules and threatening to disqualify our team the day before we were supposed to fight them. Zero had his reasons for wanting to keep the tag, which he went over in much detail. Should X have told him to shove the prize money up his ass? Probably not, but he did deserve it. They pushed him, he pushed back and got disqualified over it. I feel like they set us up to get disqualified. Its a shame because we probably would have won too. Jack and jest are nearly unbeatable together. I guess its easier to disqualify your opponents than fight them.

Edit: Just a note, this thread is probably very close to getting locked. So I’d try to keep things civil guys.

• Thanks for posting the threads in question, smellyhobo, so I don’t have to speculate on which ones this is referring to, since many threads have been locked in the time I’ve been a moderator.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6071

Mindless egotism. I would’ve moved it to off-topic, personally, rather than an immediate lock. It’s not planning or discussing a tournament, it’s just X acting like a clown. Maybe if it were a recruitment thread it could’ve been moved to the clan hub, but since despite the advertising it specifically says it isn’t a recruitment thread, well… sounds like spam to me.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6806

I would’ve locked this on page one because it’s unrelated to Chivalry. It belongs on the Darkage Gaming website, or as a post in the thread already discussing this tournament. I wasn’t around though, so it eventually wound up being locked because X was flaming users and moderators (moderators who hadn’t even read the thread at the time), and other users were flaming X and co., and everyone else was just staring at it like a car crash in slow motion.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6829

This is the thread I locked. I was going to leave it open (as I stated in my post) because despite being only vaguely related to Chivalry, there was a chance the topic could finally be put to bed without it degrading into a flame war. It was a very slim chance but I was willing to give Zeroace a chance, until he said he was done with the thread and it could be locked. And so it was.

The reason these threads end up locked essentially boils down to one key factor, and you can see it in ample supply in this thread. Certain members of Team JackBaldy are addicted to attention. They believe they deserve more recognition than other players, hence their refusal to post things in the appropriate place or the appropriate format, and their indignation about such threads being locked, even when they’re given a chance to turn the thread into something other than an angry rage thread.

So no, it really isn’t controversy or special treatment or bias that gets these threads locked. It’s attitude. If a Vq member came here posting a thread about how unjust the results of some tournament were and it devolved into egotism and flaming, that thread would be locked as well.

P.S. I’m not a member of Vq. I think you may be confused because of my very similar clan, Qv (Quishvan) also known as The Anti-Vanquish (A-Vq). Our goal is to vanquish Vanquish. So we are a little biased, but we’re biased in the opposite direction.

@Smellyhobo101:

@Eek!:

While i agree that its been blown out of proportion, I dont think what happened was fair. They start making up rules and threatening to disqualify our team the day before we were supposed to fight them. Zero had his reasons for wanting to keep the tag, which he went over in much detail. Should X have told him to shove the prize money up his ass? Probably not, but he did deserve it. They pushed him, he pushed back and got disqualified over it. I feel like they set us up to get disqualified. Its a shame because we probably would have won too. Jack and jest are nearly unbeatable together. I guess its easier to disqualify your opponents than fight them.

Edit: Just a note, this thread is probably very close to getting locked. So I’d try to keep things civil guys.

Thank you for showing there are some members of your team who can be sensible on this issue - I see where you’re coming from, and I hope you can understand where I’m coming from as well when I say this kind of stuff doesn’t belong in this forum, or if it has to be here for some reason (such as the Darkage Gaming tournament host banning/censoring you guys on their forums), it should be kept to the appropriate thread of discussion. Frankly, anyone who’s remotely interested in hearing about this situation, or is involved directly in it, would be looking at that thread anyway. There isn’t a need to broadcast it to the public.

If you don’t like how a tournament is run, the solution is simple - don’t participate in future tournaments run by the organizer, and (politely) let people know that you felt cheated in previous tournaments run by them in future tournament threads they make. In my mind, airing out all of this dirty laundry does a disservice to the tournament hosts, yes - but it also makes you guys look bad. I don’t think you’ve made any fans after all of this.

• @Wingy:

So Tibbs is one of the guys who made this game, but he isnt allowed to play? God, he hasnt even locked any topic. Tibbs has been part of the competitive community since AoC, he even lead his own clan and was one of the top players, and he has every right to do so.

Kimiko is openly Vq, never hid it from anyone. Still havent seen a topic locked by her. Sly is buddies with Vq but I havent seen him wearing the clan tag. When he shoots down ideas, he does it respectfully, and is usually helpful when providing data about the game.

The only topics Ive seen locked are topics that completely derailed and became pointless, or when the OP repeteadly disrespected anyone disagreeing with him. Hell, even the weekly “add ninjas/wizards/dragons/aliens” are never locked, even if the dev team will never take that direction with the game. What it seems to me is that some people think their ideas are awesome, Torn Banner has a blizzard sized studio and they are stupid for not implementing their genius suggestions.

^ Wingy making serious sense for once. (Saved to forum archive for historical records).

The last paragraph pretty much sums it up, and how I’ve always gone on with forum modding. Discussion is fine, “banter” is fine, competetiveness is fine, disagreement is fine, heck even raging is fine. However the line is drawn when that becomes flaming, as in directed at an actual forum member / player (this INCLUDES the devs), or baiting / trolling to try and derail a thread, or set off an argument, or where any of that has already taken place.

Sometimes just the posts can just be removed, but if there’s a lot of them in an ongoing “discussion”, it can be better to temporarily lock the thread while doing so. Good, sensible topics will always be worth saving and have that applied. (mods should post a note when they do this though).

If you think mods here are harsh, some forums (Steam for example) will even lock topics and suspend users just for DISCUSSING moderation. However here we’re more lenient where moderation will only be applied if it is discussing a specific case on the public forum, that should be done by PM with the mod team instead. There’s a saying of “don’t air your dirty laundry in public”. It is pointless to just make another thread about the previous one being locked, because there’ll have been reasons for locking the previous one, so any new ones on the same topic will be locked too. It simply wastes time and causes clutter, or “drama” or however you want to put it.

The whole “wolf pack” thing did give me a smile though. I’m personally just a dude who played AoC a bit back in the day, posted on the old AoC forums a lot, got talking to Tibbs and the devs (since they actually communicate with their players), and helped out with Alpha testing Chivalry. Modding here is just something I VOLUNTARILY pick up now and then to utilise the few tidbits of time I have aside from my full time job and help out, because I respect the devs and enjoy the game. I’d really like Torn Banner to do well, and the forums are a big part of that, and a big part of the game and community.

I don’t believe it is fair to target other mods either, they are just players like you and me, of COURSE they’re going to be in clans etc, as well as having their own opinions. A mod disagreeing with a suggestion is not “shooting it down”, we have no official say on what gets into the game, it is simply our own personal opinion as a player and we are entitled to have that. A topic will only be locked if there is an inherent problem, not just because “we don’t like it”.

Mods are FREELY giving up their time to try and help this be a better place, it is impossible to please everyone. Also if they weren’t trusted to be impartial, they wouldn’t be mods. Again no targeting of any specific forum user or player will be tolerated, this INCLUDES targeting moderators. If you have a problem with another user or even a mod, contact another moderator by PM and it will be looked into and dealt with, do NOT just create posts where accusations are thrown around willy nilly in public, it will NOT be tolerated hereafter.

As to dick waving I’m not going to lock this thread (yet), but I am going to move it to off topic. 8-) (This isn’t really discussing the game, so why was it posted in General Discussion?)

• @MedievalFantasy:

I suppose when you’re dealing with subjective rules blatant flames like these can go by unnoticed while moderators pretend to view and act objectively when it comes to moderating. This is what is called turning a blind eye, which is rather ironic considering the thread, the moderators posting in it, and the fact that the person in question flaming happens to be a member of Vq.

Like they say, talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

• @JackBaldy:

@MedievalFantasy:

I suppose when you’re dealing with subjective rules blatant flames like these can go by unnoticed while moderators pretend to view and act objectively when it comes to moderating. This is what is called turning a blind eye, which is rather ironic considering the thread, the moderators posting in it, and the fact that the person in question flaming happens to be a member of Vq.

Like they say, talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

Look at X’s first post in this thread. We didn’t do anything there. Don’t point at a Vq post and forget we didn’t do anything to X’s post either. I guess when you are quoting, it’s easier to be bias.

• @ChuckingIt:

Look at X’s first post in this thread. We didn’t do anything there. Don’t point at a Vq post and forget we didn’t do anything to X’s post either.

Was that or was it not a flame? You change the subject in order to elude from the fact that a member of Vanquish blatantly flamed a group of people while receiving not even a single comment about it.

@ChuckingIt:

I guess when you are quoting, it’s easier to be bias.

I see that you’re letting your emotions get the better of you. This doesn’t help when one is to think logically, rationally, and objectively.

• My point, is everyone in this thread had a chance to air some feelings out. That’s why X’s rude comments and Vq’s childish comments were left in there. Otherwise I would have to have shut this thing down early, but I used it as a chance to let people understand how our thought process is. Now we have released this thread to Off Topic, because it served its purpose. Hopefully the bickering can end, and people can just play while respecting each other.

• @ChuckingIt:

My point, is everyone in this thread had a chance to air some feelings out. That’s why X’s rude comments and Vq’s childish comments were left in there. Otherwise I would have to have shut this thing down early, but I used it as a chance to let people understand how our thought process is. Now we have released this thread to Off Topic, because it served its purpose. Hopefully the bickering can end, and people can just play while respecting each other.

I wasn’t aware that the forum rules had shifted on the fly like that. I suppose as things progress more and more people will begin to have an understanding as to what subjective rules really mean and why rules aren’t enforced in a consistent manner.

At least we can both agree that Team JackBaldy was flamed by a member of Vanquish. Cheers. :Waves: