Melee dedicated shield

• There’s currently four different shields in chivalry.
    Buckler, Heather, Kite and tower shield.
    There is maximum two types of shields per each class, except for Vanguard and Archers with only one ( The Buckler )

As they are coded right now, it seems like that the first shield is better for projectile blocking, while the other is more dedicated for melee ( Less view abstruction ) Heather and Tower seems to be the best projectile blocking for their classes, while kite and buckler seems to serve more for the melee parts. I don’t know IF that’s the only difference, as I don’t really know IF the shields have each a different Speed or stamina cost. They all seem to share the same values for the time being.

However, I just had a simply thought about that there should perhaps be released a shield purely dedicated for melee, for example this one.

A really small metal buckler that would serve the purpose to only be able to use a shield with the best view, but having barely any projectile blocking. Basically just being an hold-block alternative for one-handers.

Post your thoughts about it here please.

• There are actually three factors in shield balance, all of them related to how large the shield is.

1: Size - this one is obvious and dictates the other factors; it’s simply the area your shield blocks attacks in, both ranged and melee. Larger size obviously is easier to block with, but obstructs more view in first person.

2: Stamina drain - this is the stamina you lose when you block an attack with the shield. Larger shields have lower stamina drain; an attack that takes off 1/3 your stamina with a buckler may only take off 1/6 of your stamina with a tower shield. On top of larger shields draining less stamina to block, the Knight also requires less stamina to block in general as per his special ability.

3: Drop time - this is the time it takes to drop the shield and return to idle state; think of it like a recovery after an attack, some weapons take longer to recover than others. During your shield drop you aren’t actively blocking (melee) attacks, can’t attack, and can’t re-raise your shield. Larger shields take longer to drop, meaning they are theoretically slower to counterattack.

So the shield balance is meant to be you trade defensive strength for offensive strength when you take a smaller shield. However, there is currently either a feature or more likely a bug (it’s on the bug list) that causes you to ignore your shield drop time if you press the attack key while holding up a shield (however sometimes this feature/bug stops functioning after you block an attack, seemingly at random and doesn’t “correct” itself until you respawn). This generally means that the only down side to large shields is the amount of your view they block, which is of course a non-factor in third person, which is why most dedicated tower shield users play in third person.

• @SlyGoat:

(however sometimes this feature/bug stops functioning after you block an attack, seemingly at random and doesn’t “correct” itself until you respawn).

When it does that it will also sometimes use the attack you tried to use with your shield up as soon as you drop your shield. Rather frustrating since most of the time it isn’t when you planned to attack and leaves you wide open.

I have corrected this by blocking another incoming strike. Afterwards I can click/scroll with the shield up to drop it and attack.

• The speed that someone shield bashes is unaffected by shield size? This is important as obviously smaller shields should bash faster.

I don’t notice much if any different in recovery time when blocking a leaping charge attack from a vanguard while blocking with the buckler or tower shield. View obstruction is the least of your problems if you know where people are and have a good sense of player movement and map locations (especially if you have a sense for being double-teamed).

I wouldn’t see much point in another shield since if it perform only blocking with a bare minimum chance to block projectiles if it even has the quality, it sounds like a nerfed buckler shield. I don’t know how much stam loss is when compared to parrying, but this is important. If this new shield can’t offer more reasonable protection than parrying, there isn’t much of a point in adding it. Also, it doesn’t seem to distinguish itself from the buckler enough.

If this shield only diminished dmg by half or 75% but offered very small stam loss and great recovery OR the option to block while attacking (with very limited zone of protection), this could offer some alternatives. I still, however, feel like I would choose the buckler or shieldless.

If this was an implemented combination for the MAA to have a 1/h this “clip shield” for all of his primary 1/handers while giving him the option of either upgrading to the buckler/heater or having access to the tertiary items, this could be interesting. Considering that the `1/handed wpns are primarily for the MAAs, I don’t see any classes really taking advantage of any of these ideas.

• You know, mentioning smaller shields obstructing less view is kind of funny, because the Heater shield actually blocks less view than the buckler. This is because the buckler is held up right in front of the face, while the heater is angled and held lower.

I’d like to see a fix for this, as even on highest FoV the buckler’s a pain to use.

• The speed that someone shield bashes is unaffected by shield size?

All shields bashes are currently the same length.

• What are u doing with my Shield OP?!?!

• Might happend that my facts are wrong, but each shield feels like they have all the same melee weapon blocking system as a regular parry with any weapon, only that the can block projectiles and hold the block for aslong as the stamina will let the shield user. Ignore that fact If I’m wrong, however the idea was to release a shield that is truely dedicated to deflect / block blows. In this case It should be a really small metal version og the buckler, that will give best speed at countering and pull up and down speed and of course close to not blockin the view as many shields do.

True it would be stupid to pick to counter archers, but it would be a cool option for those who love to play with shield on the offensive part, might turn out rather OP as shields are at the moment, but once the devs got them all fixed, it will be alright.

• A really small metal buckler that would serve the purpose to only be able to use a shield with the best view, but having barely any projectile blocking. Basically just being an hold-block alternative for one-handers.

Interesting, but how will it be any different than current buckler shield for men at arms?

Might happend that my facts are wrong, but each shield feels like they have all the same melee weapon blocking system as a regular parry with any weapon, only that the can block projectiles and hold the block for aslong as the stamina will let the shield user.

I thought the same today. That’s why many people are so surprised when someone’s attack hits them “through” the shield as they think they can effectively defend themselves if they have their guard on and the shield will work. It’s really counter-intuitive that you have huge shield, yet you must still block like you’d be still using buckler or any other small shield. It means that the tower shield is worse in melee not only because are not able to see what’s before you, but also because you still need to center your view on the enemy, the enemy that you can’t see. It’s a paradox.

Stamina drain and drop time aren’t really important in this comparison because the only reason to take tower shield over kite shield is to block projectiles when there are many good archers who know how to bypass kite shield.

A really small metal buckler that would serve the purpose to only be able to use a shield with the best view, but having barely any projectile blocking. Basically just being an hold-block alternative for one-handers.

I don’t like this suggestion. Not only I find it redundant (there is the buckler shield), but also because heavier classes shouldn’t be allowed to use smaller shields to gain advantage over light classes.

PS I found it labelled as “duel buckler”. I am not sure if it has place on the medieval battlefield…

• uhm im totally ok with that! aslong as the shield is well made. With that i mean it blocks like the others: Only that area it is modelled for.

Just a nice lil way to hold a block and still be swift.

and the enemy doesnt get an overpowered quickshielder that is just forced to look straight to successfull parry.

• Suggestion towards to which features this shield should have.

Advantages
    ? Faster shield raising.
    ? Faster shield lowering.
    ? Less sensitivity reduction ( Allowing the shield-user to follow attacks easier )
    ? Faster recovery
    ? More view

Disadvantages
    ? Smaller projectile protection
    ? Higher stamina drain multiplier
    ? Smaller pasive shield protection
    ? Smaller back protection when unequipped

Sources :
    http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image … shield.JPG