Is 2H Knight Actually Viable?

• More and more as a knight, i find myself having to rely on the secondary weapons and find the primary 2H weapons to be only useful in very niche settings or when theres lots of noobs.

Knight vs Archer - cant use your 2H because you need your shield. (pretty easy to kill once you switch to shield). Knight with a 2H is a free kill for an archer.

Knight vs MAA - MAA can move 20m in the time it takes the knight to swing his maul. Knight can wind up and hope the mss runs into it, and the noobs often do, but for experienced MAA, a knight with a 2H is basically a free kill.

Knight vs Vanguard - Vanguard has range advantage, weapon speed advantage, movement speed advantage and the 2nd best armor in the game. I find Vanguards the hardest to kill as a knight.

So where does it leave the knights primary weapon?

• Two handed weapons are perfectly viable for a knight. It seems the problem you’re having is that you’re too focused on offense. The knight can block for DAYS, especially against light weapons like the ones the MAA uses. Pick your blows, focus on parrying and dodging and you’ll come out on top.

• @ransack:

More and more as a knight, i find myself having to rely on the secondary weapons and find the primary 2H weapons to be only useful in very niche settings or when theres lots of noobs.

Knight vs Archer - cant use your 2H because you need your shield. (pretty easy to kill once you switch to shield). Knight with a 2H is a free kill for an archer.

Knight vs MAA - MAA can move 20m in the time it takes the knight to swing his maul. Knight can wind up and hope the mss runs into it, and the noobs often do, but for experienced MAA, a knight with a 2H is basically a free kill.

Knight vs Vanguard - Vanguard has range advantage, weapon speed advantage, movement speed advantage and the 2nd best armor in the game. I find Vanguards the hardest to kill as a knight.

So where does it leave the knights primary weapon?

You need to get familiar with the Sword of War. You have been doing it wrong. It’s quick, strong and has a great poke.

• Sword of War/Broadsword/Throwing Axe Knight here. The class is very viable; if you have some specific questions to ask, I’ll try and answer them when I get home and add more later. I’m known to very aggressive player and will happily charge into 3 enemies or more and will usually ensure, at very least, 1 dies =P

• Yep, I guess there’s no class that can’t get a free kill by attacking a knight that’s wielding a two-hander…… ERrrEHRHERHERHERHERHEHRHE You know, a lot of this depends on the individual’s skill with the class and weaponry at hand.

• Knights complaining about anything in their kit not being viable is a waste of breath. Try playing any other class against even a moderately skilled knight. Trust me, you have the advantage.

• Maul/Broadsword/Throwing Axe is my usual loadout. Even against archers and MAA’s I manage quite fine. Whenever I deal with an archer, I close the distance and zig-zag my way towards him, throwing axes optional.

With jumpy and dodgey MAA’s I tend to use stab or switch to my broadsword, depending on how dodgey he is. Any time I use a maul either speed up the swing or delay it. If he’s got a shield I combo around it. Most MAA’s are eager to jump in once they see the first swing miss.

• Bearded axe, double axe and grand mace are all pretty lackluster, but the rest are fine IMO.

• I find that the Sword of War is actually pretty useful for 2h knight. Overheads are fairly quick and it has decent damage/range.

Though, Knight is probably my least favorite class so I’m not sure how credible I am on 2h Knight.

• The maul is the best weapon of all time ever. Period.

• maul is fun to use… but whenever i see a maul user, I instantly say to myself “oh look, a free kill.” That thing is so slow.

• I much rather prefer a 2H weapon as a Knight over a 1H. Poleaxe is brutal once you get the hang of it. Sword of War and Longsword are the same way. Some have more viability than others though. The Grand Mace, Maul and Messer are rather slow and clunky, but work great as supporting roles and do great in flanking maneuvers.

Plus, the Knight has the benefit of having some of the best 1H and 2H setups, giving them the best melee flexibility in the game. If you’re having trouble against a certain opponent with your primary 2H, you can switch down to a 1H + Shield setup and engage them in an entirely different manner.

• Knight w/o a shield is dead to me (aside from all 2h weapons, of course.)
    If you pick throwing weapons in place of a shield, you are doing something wrong,…

• Two handed weapons are viable, but you need to learn how to play with them - when to block and when to strike. If your enemy knows what he’s doing you might find yourself at a disadvantage when they’ll find the way to bypass your guard. There is no need to rush the two hander unless you can hit him. Then most people tend to panic and block ASAP and they usually miss-block or I attack them from an unexpected direction (like overhead with a hammer or broadsword) or fast enough to not give them time to recover.

• I tear people apart with the 2h swords as knight. You just have to learn the weapon and master using it.

• Yesterday i played against a rank 39 knight who used the pole axe all the time. Got my ass kicked 5 times in a row against him.

• Viable. No doubt.
    Knight gives you room for error.
    That’s why its newbies first choice / apart from archer.
    No offense here…Knight was my first full unlock ;-).

Whenever one goes through all possible situations on the battlefield, the versitality and sturdiness of the knight makes it excell over vg and maa.

The worse weapons have been mentioned allrdy.
    Apart from that…every other weapon can be used very well.
    I love every 2h sword for example and 85% avoid shields.

• Knights are good for big, messy fights.
    5 knights or more attacking together will push any opponent back a bit, or halt any advance.

1vs1, though, you are better of picking a MMA or Vanguard.

Knights are the core infantrymen, their greatest strenght lies in fighting with the group, and being the iron fist of the team.

You will lose 1vs1 vs an experienced MAA if you are both as skilled.
    But a MAA will never be as useful as a knight when it comes to holding the line.
    Throw 8knights vs 8 MAAs in a narrow map, and the knights will suddenly have the advantage

Remember the melee class roles:
    1. Knight - The heavy and slow one, thus the linefighter, the most group reliant.
    2. Vanguard - Heavy damage and fast, thus the heavy flanker, a little less group reliant.
    3. Man At Arms, thus the skirmisher, ideal loner.

If you are trying to skirmish as a knight or throwing yourself into a big melee as a MAA, you are doing something wrong :P
    It can be done but is definatly not favourable.

• @SinerAthin:

1vs1, though, you are better of picking a MMA or Vanguard.

I will have to disagree.
    I can’t actually give any supporting evidence other than the fact that I play knight almost exclusively and don’t feel the same way about it as you do.

• @bada:

I will have to disagree.
    I can’t actually give any supporting evidence other than the fact that I play knight almost exclusively and don’t feel the same way about it as you do.

Knights are only best 1vs1 in newbie enviroments where the general skill level is not that high.

Once you get into a more proffessional, mostly lag-free 1vs1 dueling enviroment, a MAA quickly becomes the best melee duelist class due to its speed, mobility, and extreme damage.
    A knight’s extra toughness cannot compensate entirely for its lack of speed, in a sense that the potential the class loses in its slowness is not weighed all the way back up by its protection.

The fact you play Knight almost exclusively could suggest you have limited experience with other classes, and thus not yet master their optimal playstyles :P