Where is the map editor?

• Let me first start by saying this game rules, it is a breath of fresh air in a genre overrun by CoD and Battlefield clones.

However, there are currently too few maps available for play. I can understand not releasing modding tools until the game is polished and such, but people are going to start quitting soon due to boredom induced by limited maps.

Don’t let this game suffer the same fate as Left 4 Dead (another awesome game, but ultimately puttered out due to too few map options.

Please take my suggestion to heart, as I really enjoy this game and want it to succeed to its fullest potential!

• a solid +1 (again lol )

once again : not only the players would be happy with new maps but TBS would be able to breath a little and concentrate on bugs and fixes , its a win win situation in my book ….

i personaly dont care about balance or new weapons or new class , what i realy want the most is new maps ! … the game is awesome! one of the best in years! ( chivalry and ns2 are the best games in a loong time! ) but not enough maps , it gets " boring" playing over and over in the same 4 TO maps …

really , the map editor should be in their top10 priority imo , i bet theres tons of good programers who would love to make maps! ( and if sir loin could lend his awesome voice for the objectives “voice command” it would be beyond awesome! … for the best maps that is )

well …“WHAT DO WE WANT?!” monastery and helms deep!! “WHEN DO WE WANT IT?!” as soon as possible!!!

( ps , i know it must not be that simple as just releasing a map editor ,but please TBS!! make it in your top 10 priority! )

• L4D had a map editor…

They already said that the Chiv mod tools will be out in a few months time.

I’m guessing that:

1. They want to polish it up to look professional as it is probably contains a few bad words here and there in comments/variable names ;)
    2. Push out more official content first
    3. Figure out how to make it so that someone can’t just take their game mechanics and release a version of Chiv for free as a “standalone mod”

• Post by hyperfriend » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm
    Let me first start by saying this game rules, it is a breath of fresh air in a genre overrun by CoD and Battlefield clones.

However, there are currently too few maps available for play. I can understand not releasing modding tools until the game is polished and such, but people are going to start quitting soon due to boredom induced by limited maps.

Don’t let this game suffer the same fate as Left 4 Dead (another awesome game, but ultimately puttered out due to too few map options.

alright totally agree to you but a map editor for everyone? i sense VERY BAD maps on tons of random servers which will really suck. cause the first thing ppl dont like to try when they make maps is balance. they have a smart lil idea in their heads and they try to do it. And it ends with a rq party on one side because the spawns are directly above the damn objective.

• @Thorendir:

alright totally agree to you but a map editor for everyone? i sense VERY BAD maps on tons of random servers which will really suck. cause the first thing ppl dont like to try when they make maps is balance. they have a smart lil idea in their heads and they try to do it. And it ends with a rq party on one side because the spawns are directly above the damn objective.

Spawns are below the King in Stoneshill. Just pointing that out ;)

• Yes, I feel it would enhance gameplay and bring about greater longevity for the game

No, I prefer to play only official maps that are already becoming stale after a couple weeks of play

very unbiased here ;)

• I do agree. Although they are bogged down with a lot of stuff right now; releasing an SDK would be fantastic. They could capitalize on the community and it’s creativity.It would allow them to temporarily focus all resources on polishing things up. Maybe add CTF game-mode so mappers get the idea/models and such. There are plenty of fantastic mappers who have great skill. Torn Banner could even have it “closed” at first. By that i mean people vote for the most popular projects. The best one of the month will then be taken by torn banner and worked on. Both the creator and TB will add voice support and polish it up. That is one map a month(Depending on whats being made at the time).

By doing this, they avoid having to worry about an overflow of LQ content.(Only releasing HQ stuff that is primed and ready for play). After all the hotfixes and addition of game-modes, they could make the game completely moddable to anyone/allowing servers to actually host any custom map they want.

• @Phlint95:

. There are plenty of fantastic mappers who have great skill. Torn Banner could even have it “closed” at first. By that i mean people vote for the most popular projects. The best one of the month will then be taken by torn banner and worked on.

+1 !!!

• @ReMixx:

L4D had a map editor…

They already said that the Chiv mod tools will be out in a few months time.

I’m guessing that:

1. They want to polish it up to look professional as it is probably contains a few bad words here and there in comments/variable names ;)
    2. Push out more official content first
    3. Figure out how to make it so that someone can’t just take their game mechanics and release a version of Chiv for free as a “standalone mod”

L4D didn’t have map editor (SDK release) until like a year after it was released. By then, most people had gotten sick of the same 4 maps and had moved on. There were custom maps but they were a real bitch to install and no one ever played them.

I understand the polish thing, but they need to realize that people (myself included) are already getting bored of the same maps over and over again.

• @Thorendir:

Post by hyperfriend » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm
    Let me first start by saying this game rules, it is a breath of fresh air in a genre overrun by CoD and Battlefield clones.

Well, a server operator would have the option to only install the maps he/she wishes to add on the server. You will certainly have some bad maps, but the good servers won’t have them on rotation.

• @Phlint95:

I do agree. Although they are bogged down with a lot of stuff right now; releasing an SDK would be fantastic. They could capitalize on the community and it’s creativity.It would allow them to temporarily focus all resources on polishing things up. Maybe add CTF game-mode so mappers get the idea/models and such. There are plenty of fantastic mappers who have great skill. Torn Banner could even have it “closed” at first. By that i mean people vote for the most popular projects. The best one of the month will then be taken by torn banner and worked on. Both the creator and TB will add voice support and polish it up. That is one map a month(Depending on whats being made at the time).

By doing this, they avoid having to worry about an overflow of LQ content.(Only releasing HQ stuff that is primed and ready for play). After all the hotfixes and addition of game-modes, they could make the game completely moddable to anyone/allowing servers to actually host any custom map they want.

This is an excellent idea. While I’m all for open source/modding/mapping/skinning etc (old tribes player) I think that this would be an adequate solution to our problem.

• Steve (Tibberius) on map editor/modding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … _A4#t=261s

• If people are bored by the existing maps after just a month or two, then they should just stop being bored by things so quickly and learn that everything doesn’t happen NOW.

I’m all for community-made maps, in fact it’s what kept Day of Defeat going for so long (a game I loved playing for years). But if the existing maps and game modes are already getting stale for you in this short a time, then a few good community maps are not going to fix that and you just need to relax and exercise some patience. Go smoke a j if you need to lol.

Give the devs some breathing room guys. If you listen to that interview above, the head guy stated that the dev team is spread out geographically through the world, and that before the Kickstarter funding they financed out of their own pockets. Even now with game sales they don’t have unlimited money, and there’s still only 24 hours in a day. Considering all the things going on with the game, from hotfixes to patches to dueling mode to everything else they have in the works, remember that certain items take priority over others.

I COMPLETELY AGREE that the mapping tools need to be released at some point within the next 6 months or so because that will be what ultimately breathes long-life into the game, and as I mentioned in a previous post it’s free labor to the dev team. But understand that they obviously have a vision for their game and they need to be given time to fix existing bugs while also working toward their own goals for the game. Imagine that you were them, and every time you came to these forums you had people making demands and/or being hypercritical of everything?

blah blah, i’ll get off my soapbox now but try and be a little more positive on the forums guys, the game we have now is awesome and can only get better if you just give the devs some space

• My post and suggestion is in a very positive manner.

Love the game just don’t want to see it make familiar mistakes :D

• The poll is kind of needless, there are very few people who would say I don’t want them. Its more a matter of priorities Imo and for me its still pretty high on the list but still below the core issues that need to be fixed first.

• If you read my post on the first page, you would see that the devs could still take things in the direction they want. By not having the SDK completly open(Not able to just add anything into the game.) then they could focus on all the game bugs and mechanics /new modes. While this is going on the best mapmakers in the community will be showcasing their work. The devs pick their favorite map and work on it from there. Creator gets credit, Devs get breathing room and life added to the game and the community get a polished, fresh map to enjoy. Later on (like 5 months or so) they can completely unlock /release the SDK so we can all just add a map right to our servers.

• I want the mod tools as much as the next guy, but please keep in mind that when they release the mod tools, they will have to support them in addition to the game.

The programmers are bogged down as it is already trying iron out existing bugs and adding new features (you still want the flail, right?).

• @ReMixx:

I want the mod tools as much as the next guy, but please keep in mind that when they release the mod tools, they will have to support them in addition to the game.

The programmers are bogged down as it is already trying iron out existing bugs and adding new features (you still want the flail, right?).

^ This. Everyone complains SO much about every little detail about the game. Just wait til’ the mod tools come out… Holy!!! So let them worry about fixing the lil’ things in the game first and THEN…
    hopefully we’ll get them lovely tools around… Feb? That’s about 3 months, right? Maybe March? Something to look forward to! ^_^