War of the Roses

• to be released soon :D. anyone already heard of it? it looks really interesting!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AWarofRoses
    http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/war-of-the-roses

• Bah! Third person.

• Yea I heard of it, indeed it looks interesting.

The guy from Pax said that he played that too but he prefered Chivalry, hoozah ! :P

• @-Slash-:

Yea I heard of it, indeed it looks interesting.

The guy from Pax said that he played that too but he prefered Chivalry, hoozah ! :P

lets see :)

• I hope it’s going to be great, but I don’t really know what to think of it yet. All that I’ve seen from the combat system is that it’s pretty much Mount&Blade’s, but slower. If that’s all there is to it, then I don’t think it’s going to work for me. Of course, they’re in alpha and they may not have shown everything yet, so I won’t judge it at this point. But I think Chivalry looks more promising.

• Developer

I had a chance to play this at PAX East actually, and had a brief conversation with Gordon Van Dyke (Their video guy and Senior Producer at Paradox on the project).

• @Tibberius:

I had a chance to play this at PAX East actually, and had a brief conversation with Gordon Van Dyke (Their video guy and Senior Producer at Paradox on the project).

what are your thoughts of it? :x :?

• Developer

Seemed cool, some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn’t. It’s clear that the two games are made for different audiences and play very differently, even in the visuals and pace of things. It was early on so don’t want to jump to any conclusions but from my brief time playing it didn’t seem to capture the same level of immersion, but they seem to have a very deep customization system. I loved Mount and Blade so looking forward to seeing if they can pull this one off as an improvement.

• @Tibberius:

Seemed cool, some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn’t. It’s clear that the two games are made for different audiences and play very differently, even in the visuals and pace of things. It was early on so don’t want to jump to any conclusions but from my brief time playing it didn’t seem to capture the same level of immersion, but they seem to have a very deep customization system. I loved Mount and Blade so looking forward to seeing if they can pull this one off as an improvement.

the only thing i hated about mount and blade was the poor quality that was their melee combat mechanics

• I’m not sure what to think of it atm. Combat does look very similar to Mount&Blade from what I’ve seen, and while I loved that game, I’m only interested if War of the Roses manages to improve on it. I’m not quite convinced they’ve managed that yet. The combat seems way slower than Warband’s (absolutely unnecessary, Warband definitely wasn’t too fast), and while finishing moves probably look awesome the first few times you do them, I’m fairly sure they’ll quickly become a nuisance. I do hope they succeed in improving on Warband. Shouldn’t be too hard, Warband has a truckload of flaws, so the only thing they need to do is not fuck up something essential such as combat pacing. Fingers crossed :).

• Also, finishing moves… meh…

• Looks a little cartoony, actions and graphics.

• @Tibberius:

I know for a fact that I will be playing both Chivalry and The War of the Roses. One for my FPS itch, and the other for my third person addiction. (And it’s an addiction. 1000+ hours in Mount and Blade. Do I have a problem with it? No. :) )

• ive heard the closed beta is about to start… i guess i will apply for it :-). its gonna be fun :D

• @NORDAViND:

ive heard the closed beta is about to start… i guess i will apply for it :-). its gonna be fun :D

….“WotR” Beta, release plans detailed by Paradox Interactive:…
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news … ctive.html

ciauz^^,
    Jab

• Pretty amusing that they didn’t just make M&B 2.

afaik WOTR isn’t getting a single player campaign like M&B

• @Dussan:

Pretty amusing that they didn’t just make M&B 2.

afaik WOTR isn’t getting a single player campaign like M&B

Paradox is just the publisher, they aren’t making any multiplayer medieval combat games themselves. FatShark is making WotR and TaleWorlds is currently making M&B2 though they have leaked almost nothing about it (apparently, somewhere on the web there’s an interview with the lead dev, in Turkish, with some footage of M&B2 in the background).

• I have been following Paradox on Youtube for quite some time and when the news on their channel appeared for the game-I was really happy about the game.Just yesterday saw the final of the first war of the roses tournament and am really hoping that they have an open beta or something so we can try the game out.

• there is a beta actually http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com/?ref=0df81d7a7e6 , but from my perspective Chivalry looks to have much better melee combat than Mnb and the war of roses is made by different developers than original mount and blade looks worse than the original to me except graphics… :P