ELO Ranking system/Matchmaking

• So a slight background on myself. Played since late beta and lurked on the forums (I never really get into contributing unless it’s on a subject such as this). I’m currently level 26, maxed out the classes I enjoy, and the only downfall that’s making me lose interest in this game is that aside from the gameplay their is no endgame so to speak. There’s a seemingly endless ranking system that shows nothing but playtime and aside from the helmet rewards there’s no real atonement to skill (shows kills achieved with a class, still not really a skilled reward just to clarify).

I have not fully picked the forums on this topic so I apologize if this has been posted previously or suggested but I feel that a ranking system as well as matchmaking would give people such as myself something to work towards other than just mindless limb removal (which by itself is still very satisfying :p). If something like this is possible I would love to hear from a dev, this is really the only game atm that has my full attention.

• Support this very much. Currently the recipe for winning pub games (which is all I play, being a slightly above average player) is getting placed in the team with the least newcomers (with all others equal), or with one or two people that are so good they can carry a team.

The sheer difference in kill ratio mean the winning team effectively fields a lot more people. Which is how it should be, however it is for these wrong reasons. Which is bad for newcomers, and people more experienced. The first for being owned and not getting to like the game unless they really stick with it, the others for not having a challenge, or not learning much more due to the disparity in player skill.

• I suggested a ELO system some weeks ago for the upcoming duel mode…nobody liked it.

• I would approve of a ELO/Ranking system for this game. Pretty much like League of Legends does it, if any of you have played that game. Have a ranked queue and a normal queue. You can queue with friends for ranked 5v5s or 3v3s or what have you.

The only problem I can foresee with this is perhaps a low playerbase, but it should automatically relax the strictness of matchmaking until a suitable match is found. I am not sure if the engine can handle such a system, but hell, I’d write the code myself - devs willing :D

• I have been wondering why there isn’t a more steam-based ranking and matchmaking logic across the board for the whole digital delivery system.

In a lot of games there’s nothing worse than either being new or pro and being matched with the opposite so as to just face frustration.

Here, too, my solution for chivalry was simply building a friendlist. To be honest, most people went and added me, because I proved to not suck as much as the rest.

• Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Steve say in one of the Q&A videos that they intended to add a ladder system or some such, and make the game more competitive among other things?

• Or…

You can think of a game with a strong community, leagues organizing competitions and tournaments, join a clan, perfect your skills and enjoy challenging opponents of your level on the battlefield.

Competitive play will meet your desires. Pubfarming will not.

I can not think of a game where ELO has been a good estimation of skill. But I can think of many games where it has been used by abusing people with a big ego.

• You can think of a game with a strong community, leagues organizing competitions and tournaments, join a clan

Dream on about leagues organizing competitions and tournaments, this is far too niche a game for that. Same with clans, there’s only a handful, and they’re pretty much filled up.

perfect your skills and enjoy challenging opponents of your level on the battlefield.

Thats the problem: You won’t find people of your level, since it’s all randomly thrown together. Exactly the reason why I want a skill based ranking/matchmaking system.

Being matched with/against people of your own skill level breeds a much better sense of community. You’re matched up much more often, and learn to know eachother and the game better.

I can not think of a game where ELO has been a good estimation of skill. But I can think of many games where it has been used by abusing people with a big ego.

It seems to have worked out for Chess. And even if people would use it as Epeen to fondle, what would I care about that. It still is superior to the current rank (= time played) system and random matchmaking.

With high skill levels grouped together, they won’t be intimidating people of lesser skill gamewise and verbally in public games. Equally skilled players won’t be that impressed.

I’'m not asking at all because I think of myself as a highly skilled player. If anything I have no idea how I am anything near most rank 39 players. It’s because I think the current skill distribution of players over servers is detrimental to the game.

People should have the option to be matched with others of equal skill. How many people of the last sale will stick around after having NO idea why they were owned so much, and pretty much the team with the least newbies won ? They have no comparison of what they did wrong, unlike most shooters.