Frostbite2 engine?

• First off I don’t know all the in’s and out’s of engine usage and what not. Second, I Had this idea a few weeks after BF3 launched So this game makes it more feasible now that I’ve played it.

Basically it’s using the frostbite 2 engine to make a game like this but more siege oriented and bigger battles. I mean with destruction you could have epic castle sieges. Instead of tanks, and jeeps have catapults, trebuchet, siege towers and horses. with all that could be converted from modern to medieval I’m sure you could fit an extra 64 players or more into a server. 128 players? awesome!!
    Just an idea to make a tremendously great game.

From what I’ve read though the frostbite 2 engine is kinda a mass project and probably be impossible to make open source. Anyhow just thought I’d throw it out there long shot or not.

• @Cooterjenkins:

First off I don’t know all the in’s and out’s of engine usage and what not. Second, I Had this idea a few weeks after BF3 launched So this game makes it more feasible now that I’ve played it.

Basically it’s using the frostbite 2 engine to make a game like this but more siege oriented and bigger battles. I mean with destruction you could have epic castle sieges. Instead of tanks, and jeeps have catapults, trebuchet, siege towers and horses. with all that could be converted from modern to medieval I’m sure you could fit an extra 64 players or more into a server. 128 players? awesome!!
    Just an idea to make a tremendously great game.

From what I’ve read though the frostbite 2 engine is kinda a mass project and probably be impossible to make open source. Anyhow just thought I’d throw it out there long shot or not.

Why the Frostbite 2 engine? Disclaimer: I am biased against it because it is impossible to extract the vehicle models and textures from Need For Speed The Run which uses it.

There are a lot of quality AAA game engines out there. The best part? Chiv doesn’t even take advantage of all of the UE3 features.

Tibbs already expressed interest in doing a siege-like mode in the future in the last Dev Q&A (that doesn’t mean that it will happen for sure).

What do you mean by open source? UE3 isn’t open source. Chivalry isn’t open source.

• Like i said I don’t know all in’s and out’s of it. but as far as environment destruction I’ve never seen anything close to what it’s like in bf3.

never played a NFS game just talking FPS types.

Granted they have a huge dev team. I’m sure they have a team just for texture making. I’m just saying applying that kind of detail and scope into chivalry. Don’t get me wrong though this game is great.

But having armor upgrades and classes built around game play the way BF3 does it would be epic. leather,Chain mail, plate mail, full on knight. customize your fighter the way you want. speed, strength, so on and so on. I know nothing of AAA engines but playing BF3 with a nice sound system you feel like you’re almost there. It’s just that type of game for this type of environment or time period.

Open source I mean like the way HL2 did things. The code was open to all. download the source code and have fun. Change the original concept of the game into whatever you wanted. This game was a mod at one time if I’m correct. Like how counter-strike was a mod then became it’s own game.

Again, I’m ignorant in the way’s of game making source coding and building. The Idea was taking a game like BF3 and doing this type of game with it.

• They need to optimize the game better or siege won’t be possible. Battlegrounds already makes 40 fps loss.

• I think there is one reason we can already exclude it, Frostbyte is EA only, the Horrifying situation this game will be in if they get in bed with EA is really not something I would want to see.

If anything Cryengine 3 offers a lot, actually may be a better engine than frostbyte even but yea this game doesn’t even fully utilize Unreal Engine 3

• The frostbite 2 engine is not cheap to buy (Hell i don’t know if EA is selling the license at all), yes you must buy the rights to legally use their engine, which might be over 250-350 thousand dollars if we’re taking it to an EA perspective. Also we have no clue if the frostbite engine could even support gameplay like Chivalry has now. Its mainly for guns and such. The only special thing about the FB2 engine is that it has destructible environments, which can be partially duplicated on a siege map in the unreal engine, if the mappers really wanted to put that much effort into it.

• We have destructable environments in Chiv… the wooden ramparts at the end of Dark Forest can be destroyed by catapults.

• Destructible meshes have been part of udk for ages.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FractureTool.html

As for DICE and Frostbite, don’t even bother. DICE used to support the community back in the day. Now they have sold their soul to the devil (EA). The writing was on the wall with the release of BFBC2. Authorized server hosters only, no mod tools. The reasons given were laughable. Oh its too complicated for modders, our production pipeline doesn’t support modding blah blah blah, authorized server hosts means guaranteed performance. Needless to say the balls up that was even trying to connect to EA online at BFBC2 release makes the current chiv server issues seem tiny.

Of course they looked like idiots when the plasma backend was emulated and pirate servers started popping up. Exposing them as the money grabbing activision clones they had become.

You cant have mod tools, but but well feed you a regular steady stream of paid for BF3 dlc (from our ridiculously complicated pipeline that modders couldn’t handle).

/rant

I’m just grateful there are still people like Torn Banner who know where it’s really at and continue to support the community. Also for Epic allowing low cost entry into the AAA arena via the UDK.