War Hammer Damage

• Is it intentional for thing to be able to 2hit kill knights? I’m not sure what’s up but just in the last day or two I’ve run into a huge wave of knights running around with this thing and it seems like a guaranteed 2 hit kill. Are these guys just exceptionally good and always getting headshots or is it really that powerful for a 1 hander? And if it’s intentional… any tips on how to deal with it? It seems exceptionally fast for the damage and sometimes I just get steam rolled by it because people love to face hug and spam with it.

• It is intentional, the warhammer was made for penetrating armor in real life as well. What I’d like is to see it use three hits on the vanguard and MaA though so you’d actually have a reason to use a secondary with that thing.

Remember the range of the warhammer is really short, so try to keep it at range while you cut the wielder apart. The knight who’s wielding it is sluggish and slow, won’t be too hard to keep a distance unless you’re a knight yourself, if you are, well you’re looking at someone with an anti armor weapon.

• I primarily play knight/archer so when I come across it in melee I’m almost always playing knight (recently, anyway). Sometimes I can outmaneuver someone running this thing and light them up with a combo but more often then not they just walk right through my initial attack (usually a stab) and start going at me full speed.

I seem to have a really hard time staggering people out of the wind up on it and more often then not just end up trading hits, which isn’t going to cut it against the War Hammer. I’ve tried a more defensive tactic but people just seem so damn reckless with the thing and I’ve found no good way to impede that recklessness. Maybe I’m just bad but at least in other matchups I almost always feel like I have a chance of winning with solid footwork and use of mechanics like feint/parry/combos.

Also, nice signature. :P

• I’d suggest the kite shield and broadsword or some fast mace - it’s faster and you don’t have limited field of view when blocking. The point is not to trade hits. It’s too dangerous.

You can kick him or use overhead or push attacks while attacking from the left (not right as the swingers do) to surprise him. They still have to block the tip of your blade with their shield and using different attacks will make them less counterable, opening the enemy up for you.

If you use two handed weapons you should use reach of your gear to your advantage and don’t allow your enemy come too close by kicking them off. They’ll often try to hug you to death with their hammer, but it’s really short so good footing (movement) can be crucial in killing them.

• Yes they will try to hug your face so footwork, parries and punishing them if they get close is crucial.

As Holy.Death said the broadsword is a good weapon, it’s fast and it got the longest range of the one handed weapons. It will take you 3 to 4 hits depending on where you hit him, but you can combo and overhead into something else and then you’re halfway there.

“Nyarlathotep…the crawling chaos…I am the last…I will tell the audient void…”

• @Ulven:

It is intentional, the warhammer was made for penetrating armor in real life as well. What I’d like is to see it use three hits on the vanguard and MaA though so you’d actually have a reason to use a secondary with that thing.

Remember the range of the warhammer is really short, so try to keep it at range while you cut the wielder apart. The knight who’s wielding it is sluggish and slow, won’t be too hard to keep a distance unless you’re a knight yourself, if you are, well you’re looking at someone with an anti armor weapon.

Making a weapon kill a VG or MaA in more hits than it takes to kill a Knight isn’t possible with Chivalry’s armor system. It also doesn’t make sense, really, that bashing a guy’s skull with a hammer is more effective when he’s wearing armor than when he isn’t :P

The downside of the Warhammer compared to other onehanders is speed and reach. All of the Knight’s swords when used onehanded kill a Vanguard in 2 hits just as the Warhammer does, but do it from further away. All of the Man-at-Arms’ primary weapons are capable of twoshotting Vanguards as well, and are faster than the Warhammer; a few also outrange the Warhammer. I find every other onehander in the game to be more effective against non-Knight classes for these reasons - the Warhammer is very much a counter to Knights.

That said I think the Warhammer could do with an increase to its combo attack windup. It has a relatively long windup for a onehander, and a long release and recovery, but its combo windup is actually very average, which makes it very spam-happy as its biggest downside is largely negated by just constantly comboing.

• Hmm, true. I take it back then.

• I feel like the war hammer might be a little too effective as a newbie-killer, but things should change the longer the game has been out and the more the player-base becomes experienced as a whole.

• @Ulven:

It is intentional, the warhammer was made for penetrating armor in real life as well. quote]

Wasn’t the maul intended to kill someone in a single blow? Knights can take a hit even in the head. :(

• It’s very powerful, yes, but only if it’s user is actually skilled. It’s power is balanced by it’s range.

In recent memory, I haven’t once been killed by a warhammer user in a fair battle, simply due to their short range.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Ulven:

It is intentional, the warhammer was made for penetrating armor in real life as well. quote]

Wasn’t the maul intended to kill someone in a single blow? Knights can take a hit even in the head. :(

The maul at least 1hits archers and MAA to the head/body, an vanguards to the head. I don’t think the warhammer 1hits anything.

• @Nerfed:

@Slaughtervomit:

@Ulven:

The maul at least 1hits archers and MAA to the head/body, an vanguards to the head. I don’t think the warhammer 1hits anything.

The warhammer shouldn’t 1 hit anything… It’s 1h ffs. The fact that so many 1h weapons do so much damage compared to 2h weapons makes me gag. I understand the short range thing but seriously…

2 knights walk into a bar. One has a warhammer, the other has a maul. The guy with the maul stays quiet because his weapon is inferior in most ways? Bullcrap.

No 1h weapon should 2 shot a knight. Period. If you want the power to 2 shot a knight, use a 2h. That’s how it should be.

• No 1h weapon should 2 shot a knight. Period. If you want the power to 2 shot a knight, use a 2h. That’s how it should be.

Your actual argument is…? I see nothing else besides your opinion. How about some statistics so we can compare these weapons for what they really are?

• Warhammer is the ultimate anti-knight weapon. If you are a knight and want to get an edge on an enemy warhammer knight, you can do one of two things

1. Switch classes
    2. Get a warhammer yourself

It’s similar to archers and warbow-broadhead; if you want to out-archer it, you have to pick it up yourself, otherwise switch classes.

• I am having ridiculous amounts of k:d fun on LTS maps with the warhammer, but then I am playing this game every friggin’ evening. On the other hand, its range is a limiting factor on TO maps where I cannot use the environment to my advantage as well due to their linearity.

• @Holy.Death:

No 1h weapon should 2 shot a knight. Period. If you want the power to 2 shot a knight, use a 2h. That’s how it should be.

Your actual argument is…? I see nothing else besides your opinion. How about some statistics so we can compare these weapons for what they really are?

Don’t question me. I am all-knowing. (That’s my argument)

• @Holy.Death:

I’m tired of this as a catchall response in balance discussions. Numbers are great but they aren’t everything, at some point you have to simply ask if a one handed weapon killing a knight with two hits is something that should be in the game or not.

To make you happy however, the warhammer can 2 shot a knight with slashes which only four other weapons are capable of doing however only the warhammer and grandmace can do so with only one of those slashes being a headshot (bardiche and double axe would both require two headshots, maul does not require a hit to the head). Clearly the warhammer is one of the most powerful weapons in the game being able to do something that only two of the many two handed weapons can replicate while at the same time being faster than any of them (the one downside being the recovery time which isn’t really relevant with how quickly it kills with combos in most cases).

So you have to ask does the main disadvantage of the warhammer, its low reach, warrant the ability to kill knights more quickly than any two handed weapon. This is the question that lies at the heart of the issue and is one that I do not believe can be answered by throwing down a few numbers.

• @BGrey:

@Holy.Death:

I’m tired of this as a catchall response in balance discussions. Numbers are great but they aren’t everything, at some point you have to simply ask if a one handed weapon killing a knight with two hits is something that should be in the game or not.

To make you happy however, the warhammer can 2 shot a knight with slashes which only three other weapons are capable of doing however only the warhammer can do so with only one of those slashes being a headshot (bardiche and double axe would both require two headshots, maul does not require a hit to the head). Clearly the warhammer is one of the most powerful weapons in the game being able to do something that only one of the many two handed weapons can replicate while at the same time being faster than any of them (the one downside being the recovery time which isn’t really relevant with how quickly it kills with combos in most cases).

So you have to ask does the main disadvantage of the warhammer, its low reach, warrant the ability to kill knights more quickly than any two handed weapon. This is the question that lies at the heart of the issue and is one that I do not believe can be answered by throwing down a few numbers.

There’s a little more to examine here than simply saying “It can kill knights in two hits, so it’s bad.” You have to look at weapon speed and most importantly range. The war hammer has the 2nd worst range in the game besides the daggers/shortsword. Honestly kills against me from war hammers are pretty hard to come by, even in a 2 v 1 situation. Not to mention it is also one of the slowest one-handers.

But therein lies the problem I suppose. This weapon is good at killing noobs. There is no escaping that. And because the game has only been out for a short period of time… Most people are noobs. The war hammer is probably the best weapon in the game for dispatching your every day joe on the battlefield, but to say it’s flat out overpowered is another thing entirely.

Just try and bring that stubby slow-ass weapon to an experienced player…

Edit The war axe, which has the shortest range of any one-hander, can 2shot vanguards with 2 overheads… Why is noone concerned about that issue in the same way? Because MAA is harder to use effectively than knight. The issue at stake here is the ease of use of these classes/weapons for and against new players, and teaching people how to avoid getting within range of these two weapon’s devastating stopping power.

Perhaps more accurate in-game weapon data, or a tutorial that focuses more on proper footwork would help.

• @Derpasaur:

There’s a little more to examine here than simply saying “It can kill knights in two hits, so it’s bad.” You have to look at weapon speed and most importantly range. The war hammer has the 2nd worst range in the game besides the daggers/shortsword. Honestly kills against me from war hammers are pretty hard to come by, even in a 2 v 1 situation. Not to mention it is also one of the slowest one-handers.

I never said it was bad nor did I really make a case that it is overpowered. I’m not sure you read the whole thing either if you think I was even talking about its balance compared to other one handed weapons.

• @BGrey:

@Derpasaur:

I never said it was bad nor did I really make a case that it is overpowered. I’m not sure you read the whole thing either if you think I was even talking about its balance compared to other one handed weapons.

I did read your entire post but I felt like you were implying it was overpowered in your opening statement, and I only used one handers in comparison because by default, two handers are going to have more range.

Forgive me, then :).