New Player w/ Mechanics Questions

• Hello folks! I’m new to Chivalry and think the game is a blast to play. However, the longer I play, the more frustrated I become as I have no clear way of understanding what is happening in the game. Hopefully, I can get some answers!

Question 1: I am sometimes unable to take any action after being hit and end up being comboed to death. Is this because this is simply possible with the right weapons and technique, or, is it because the game does not have an input buffer and I am attempting to block too soon, causing the block input to never be recoginized?

Question 2: If I block/parry my opponent’s weapon, how do I know when and if I can counter attack them? Is there some kind of bonus factor for blocking multiple times in a row to my benefit or my opponent’s disadvantage?

Question 3: Are weapon speeds factored into blocking/parrying? If I am using the fastest weapon and my opponent is using the slowest weapon, is my opponent stunned for shorter or is it just incapacitating him at a rate based on his weapon or is it just a flat number regardless of weapons used?

Question 4: What am I expected to do if i’m using a slow weapon (Maul) against an opponent with a faster weapon who’s in my face? My swing is too slow; should I be trying to block? What is the counterplay here?

Question 5: Sometimes an attack pushes me away, sometimes they don’t. Why?

Question 6: I can’t seem to combo a poke. Is it me or is it not supported or is there no animation for certain weapon pokes? Or is there no input buffer, making the window to do it successfully very hard with certain weapons?

Question 7: At the highest skill level, do players use first or third person? I find third person to be incredibly satisfying as I can better gauge the distance of my swings and see enemies at my sides… but i’d rather not practice with a sub-optimal option.

Question 8: When blocking, is there a symetrical element to the block collision OR is it using the shape of my weapon/shield?

Question 9: Does a shield on my back have any beneficial qualities? Will it block arrow hits, reduce damage from behind, weight down or affect my swings, or is it just asthetic?

Question 10: If I knock off an opponent’s helmet, is it asthetic or does the player actually have some kind of penalty?

Question 11: Why does third person so poorly support archery/throwing? >_<

That’s all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading and I hope the answers might help other folks out with the game, too.

• @hyrus:

Hello folks! I’m new to Chivalry and think the game is a blast to play. However, the longer I play, the more frustrated I become as I have no clear way of understanding what is happening in the game. Hopefully, I can get some answers!

Question 1: I am sometimes unable to take any action after being hit and end up being comboed to death. Is this because this is simply possible with the right weapons and technique, or, is it because the game does not have an input buffer and I am attempting to block too soon, causing the block input to never be recoginized?

Question 2: If I block/parry my opponent’s weapon, how do I know when and if I can counter attack them? Is there some kind of bonus factor for blocking multiple times in a row to my benefit or my opponent’s disadvantage?

Question 3: Are weapon speeds factored into blocking/parrying? If I am using the fastest weapon and my opponent is using the slowest weapon, is my opponent stunned for shorter or is it just incapacitating him at a rate based on his weapon or is it just a flat number regardless of weapons used?

Question 4: What am I expected to do if i’m using a slow weapon (Maul) against an opponent with a faster weapon who’s in my face? My swing is too slow; should I be trying to block? What is the counterplay here?

Question 6: I can’t seem to combo a poke. Is it me or is it not supported or is there no animation for certain weapon pokes? Or is there no input buffer, making the window to do it successfully very hard with certain weapons?

Question 7: At the highest skill level, do players use first or third person? I find third person to be incredibly satisfying as I can better gauge the distance of my swings and see enemies at my sides… but i’d rather not practice with a sub-optimal option.

Question 8: When blocking, is there a symetrical element to the block collision OR is it using the shape of my weapon/shield?

Question 9: Does a shield on my back have any beneficial qualities? Will it block arrow hits, reduce damage from behind, weight down or affect my swings, or is it just asthetic?

Question 10: If I knock off an opponent’s helmet, is it asthetic or does the player actually have some kind of penalty?

That’s all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading and I hope the answers might help other folks out with the game, too.

1: There does seem to be a bit of a “stun” I have noticed when being hit with fast weapons especially.

2: Blocking with a shield drains your stamina. Playing overly defensive is a bad way to go because you will end up dead in most cases.

3: From what I have seen it’s a flat rate.

4: Kick (maybe twice) –-> smash OR switch to secondary

5: Sprinting while stabbing seems to have a pushback at least with vanguards

6: I don’t think stabbing has a combo but I think you can use a poke then an overhead or something with some weapons (I usually just run around overhead smashing so i am not too familiar)

7: I think it just depends on what play style you want to have. There are some servers that limit you to first person, so that might be the better one to get practice with.

8: Supposed to be the shape of your shield.

9: It blocks projectiles, does not reduce melee damage.

10: I don’t think it has any penalty, but i’ve never looked into it.

11: 3rd person isn’t the default gamestyle? :lol: Idk…

Hope this helps.

• @hyrus:

Hello folks! I’m new to Chivalry and think the game is a blast to play. However, the longer I play, the more frustrated I become as I have no clear way of understanding what is happening in the game. Hopefully, I can get some answers!

First read this: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6347

1. If you get hit, you HAVE to block the next incoming combo. But good players can attack, pause, attack. Or attack-combo-feint out-attack. To block, you HAVE to look at the tip of the weapon. Read the above thread link about blocking.

2. If you attack right after you parry and before the hand is lowered, you get a slightly faster attack speed bonus. However, most good players will see this and block easily. You can’t feint out of this bonus speed attack.

3. Every weapon has the same parry timings.

4. Slower weapons have much higher damage than faster weapons. Exchange hits, you will come out on top. Or learn the distance of all the weapons. Or do an intentional miss swing, then combo. Most players will jump in as soon as you miss the first swing, then get hit by the combo. Good players won’t fall for this.

5. Sprinting and attacking pushes people away. Doesn’t matter how much you’ve been sprinting.

6. You can’t combo a poke, but you can combo any other swing after your poke. WTH is this input buffer you keep talking about.

7. A few very good players use third person with Tower shield. It’s somewhat easier to gauge weapon distances in 1st person but it is preferrence.

8. Block element is shaped like your shield. You can hit around the shields. Read my thread for this trick.

9. Shield on back only blocks arrows and projectiles.

10. Just asthetic.

11. Use 1st person then?

• All pretty good questions. I’ll leave some of them to others more closely involved with development, like Martin.

@hyrus:

There is a flinch mechanic in which you cannot perform an action during what I believe is a .2 second window. So yes, perhaps you are blocking too early :P. Ideally, you want to wait till the last moment to block anyway, to avoid being faked out by a feint or mouse drag maneuver.

This is a question I’ll leave to others, or will come back to later tonight after experimenting with a friend.

However, if it is possible to make an unblockable hit after a parry or block, it will only be possible with certain weapons, and certain attacks. For instance it MIGHT be possible for all dagger hits, all water sprinkler hits, the shortsword stab, the hatchet stab, and the flanged mace stab if you’re able to initiate your attack almost immediately after parrying, but I need to test this data. Information on weapon speed can be found at Martin’s damage value chart here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

As shown in the previous link, parrying leaves you vulnerable for .8 seconds. As far as I know, the only difference will be that blocking a two hander will take twice as much stamina away from you.

It entirely depends on their playstyle and weapon setup. Many MAA’s will stay out of range and wait for you to initiate an attack, then will dodge forward and overhead you. For these people you will need to use an attack -> feint -> attack string. If they’re not playing defensively and just swinging at you like a madman, parry their attack while backpedaling, then attack right after you parry. Be wary of them parrying in return after that.

If you’re being rushed by more than one person, make use of jumping while backpedaling. Attacking while holding any direction will cause your character to do a short hop forward, which can be dangerous when you’re trying to get away from pursuers. Crouching, staying still, or jumping will negate this little hop.

If you run out of stamina, every block will knock you back and daze you briefly. And as was stated previously, stabs seem to push people further back. I’ve noticed that getting hit while jumping, or parrying while midair can launch you quite far (This can be useful in getting away).

You indeed can not combo multiple stabs, but you can combo into them, such as overhead into stab. (Which is often quite a fast combo for many weapons)

This is a bit of a heated topic. The situational awareness offered by the third person perspective is often seen as a flat upgrade to playing in first person, However playing in first person can offer an advantage at close range, allowing you to more easily aim around shields or for head strikes.

In short, optimal would be likely third person, however you might encounter third person bans at a competitive level.

It uses the shape of your weapon/shield, to a mostly-accurate degree. Lag especially, and somewhat faulty hitboxes can lead to a lot of issues with projectiles being blocked when they simply shouldn’t have visually.

It does indeed block arrow hits, but other than that, there is no added benefit.

I’ve heard it confirmed that it is completely aesthetic. Knocking their hat off means you have scored a headshot. Further headshots will do the same amount of damage.

Try playing with the behind-the-head perspective (as opposed to over the shoulder). You’ll need to aim slightly higher than you would normally, but it’s easier to get used to than having to aim significantly to the left or right for the other perspectives :P.

• I really appreciate the answers guys, thank you!