Heavy Javelin Disarm Shield????

• I am curious if the dev’s would consider giving Javelins the ability to render a shield useless? Can you imagine trying to lift and use your Shield with a 3 foot long, 12lbs roman pilum sticking out of it? Maybe new shield could be aquired at ammo boxes? I would love to take away a knights tower shield with a heavy javelin.

• I’d love to see SOMETHING be a shield killer besides oil pots. Maybe a certain 2 handed hammer could disarm/bend/break shields? ;)

• A anti-shield weapon does sound appealing. But you would have to nerf the weapon sufficiently in normal combat in order to be balanced. But, for the Heavy Javelin, that might not have to be the case :jlaff:

• Assign Javelins weight when lodged into a shield? If the person wants to continue using it, they’ll be slowed down. For a knight holding a shield that’s really bad, lol with how slow they are already. Man at arms would dance around him like crazy.

I mean we have a “Drop” key. I think it’s assigned to G by default.
    Give us the option to, when holding it up in defense, to press G and just drop it.

As for the Maul or other really heavy weapons? Archers and man at arms little wooden shield shouldn’t be able to last THAT long against them. It’s wood…if the Maul can crack through a vangaurd/knights helmet and completely obliterate their skull as well and leave nothing but a wet stump, I think it should be able to break a little wooden shield with a few swings

• Maybe they could make it so that when you throw the pilum in the shield it doesn’t become usless, but it wears you down a whole lot more and it uses a lot of stamina to raise the shield.

Because of this you will most likely unequip your shield, but you can still get it out to block an arrow or something, it’s just not very practical in melee anymore.

• The Roman’s purposely designed their javelins to bend upon impact so they’d get lodged in shields/couldn’t be thrown back. I like the idea of implementing this in game.

• While the idea sounds nice there are two problems:

• Everyone would be exposed to archer fire and I don’t think many people would like that with no way to counteract/balance it. It also somewhat beats the purpose of the shields as you can be dishielded, making people go for two handed weapons, ignoring shields altogether.

• If you don’t drop the shield at the moment the heavy javelin hits the shield you will need a way to discard your shield at whim. I am also not sure if the weight of things (like weapons and shields) is accounted for. You need a way to implement how the weight of heavy javelin adds up to the overall weight of a shield and affect your melee capabilities.

As for the Maul or other really heavy weapons? Archers and man at arms little wooden shield shouldn’t be able to last THAT long against them. It’s wood…if the Maul can crack through a vangaurd/knights helmet and completely obliterate their skull as well and leave nothing but a wet stump, I think it should be able to break a little wooden shield with a few swings

While I agree with you observations I think it’d cause balance problems.

• @Holy.Death:

While the idea sounds nice there are two problems:

• Everyone would be exposed to archer fire and I don’t think many people would like that with no way to counteract/balance it. It also somewhat beats the purpose of the shields as you can be dishielded, making people go for two handed weapons, ignoring shields altogether.

• If you don’t drop the shield at the moment the heavy javelin hits the shield you will need a way to discard your shield at whim. I am also not sure if the weight of things (like weapons and shields) is accounted for. You need a way to implement how the weight of heavy javelin adds up to the overall weight of a shield and affect your melee capabilities.

Make it so shields can be resupplied at the ammo stations? (Always felt this would be useful for crossbowman)
    As for people exposed to archers? Well…the archers would be using javelins in the first place to get rid of said shield. And people wouldn’t ignore the shields, I’d still take one occasionally if there’s heavy archer fire. Plus if someone has good aim with a javelin you NEED one anyway. There’s no way you’d get close to them without a shield to take the hit.