100 hours in feedback and suggestions

• Greetings TB and fellow Chiv, players.

So here it is, so okay, I’m a little more than 100 hours in, but you get the point.
    Here’s what I suggest to improve the game.

1.Bugs

- Collision: Needs fixing, i’m guessing it’s a UE related problem since it happens in other UE3 games as well (Red Orchestra 2), for instance, when you’re too close to the cart your character just jumps up and down like he’s on ecstasy, and also when your back is against a wall or something, often your character doesn’t react anymore, doesn’t parry, doesn’t do anything. Sometimes he’s also levitating forever.

- Catapult: Teleporting when going in and out of the catapult should be fixed, there is
    absolutely no reason someone using the catapult should disappear when you’re
    about to strike him in the face.

- Parrying: Sometimes it just doesn’t work anymore at all, for some odd reason and you at
    least have to die once to get it to work again.

2. Mechanics:

• Combo: You should make it so the backswing only occur if you left clicked after half the
      first slash has been completed, right now all it does is triggering an unwanted
      backslash when you didn’t want to.

• Stamina:

Make block/parry ineffective when out of stamina. EDIT: So you would still take damage when trying to parry without the ammount of stamina required.
    Make missing a strike cost 2 times more stamina than being parried, and being
    parried cost 2 times more stamina than blocking. This would reward smart play
    and penalise spamming.

• Flinch: Make so the the duration of the flinch is proportional to the damage taken.

• Jump: Remove the ability to parry while jumping.

3. Interface

• Voice messages: Add a cooldown to counter the “to me” spamming.

• Autobalance: Make it ineffective when there is less than 5 minutes left to the game.
      Nobody likes to change teams just in time to loose because people ragequit

• The King: Remove the ability for players below rank 10 to be King.

4. Classes

• Archers:

Remove the crosshair for both the bow and the crossbow (EDIT: But increase arrow/bolt speed)
    Make it so they greatly loose accuracy when moving.
    (Both these tweaks would make the archer a class picked by people who
    are really skilled or want to seriously try, instead of noobs who just want
    to snipe, along with decreasing the insane 90% archer teams)

• Vanguard: Reduce the charge slash angle to 45°, there is no reason someone who managed
      to evade the charge should be hit from the back of said Vanguard.

• 100% agree with teleport catapult thing.

Agree with vanguard charge slash nerf, but would rather see it become an overhead chop! (at least with ONE of the swords)

• @Slaughtervomit:

100% agree with teleport catapult thing.

Agree with vanguard charge slash nerf, but would rather see it become an overhead chop! (at least with ONE of the swords)

What they should actually do with that is giving the VG different charge attacks he could chose from: slash, overhead, or stab.

• Combo backswing can be set in the options menu I believe.
    Block and parry are already ineffective when out of stamina, however stamina recharges quickly.
    On the flinching, mixed feelings. Could do well with smaller less damaging weapons(shortsword and dagger), but would be hell against heavy hitting weapons(i.e. the maul)

On the King, what if there are no players above rank 10? I think that, even if a player is below level 10, if he got the highest score he should be allowed to become the king(However, I believe the selection should be based on both rank and score rather than score alone).

On autobalance, agree completely. On the voice messages, general cooldown timer would be nice, but sometimes you really have to spam for your teammates to hear you. What I’d like to see is a small animation whenever you use a voice message(As in Team Fortress) Ofcourse animations wouldn’t play whenever you were in combat.

On the archers, no, no, no. Very much so against that idea. Yes, alot of new players try to snipe with the bow and arrow, and yes, it is frustrating to have a buttload of archers on your team not contributing. But removing the crosshair penalises not only new players, also players who are moderately skilled.

• @The:

I don’t understand this one. You have to be at the top of the scoreboard to become king. If someone new to the game is beating everyone else, they deserve to be king.

• @Able:

@The:

I don’t understand this one. You have to be at the top of the scoreboard to become king. If someone new to the game is beating everyone else, they deserve to be king.

Just because they are at the top, doesn’t mean they are the best player to be king. You can go vanguard and be a helicopter and be at the top of the scoreboard, but that doesn’t mean you are good.

• @Metrocop:

@Able:

@The:

Just because they are at the top, doesn’t mean they are the best player to be king. You can go vanguard and be a helicopter and be at the top of the scoreboard, but that doesn’t mean you are good.

Vanguard “helicopter” is a terrible tactic and would not work against any decent opponent. If that is working in a server, I don’t think rank is the problem…

• @Able:

Vanguard “helicopter” is a terrible tactic and would not work against any decent opponent. If that is working in a server, I don’t think rank is the problem…

Yeah, it wouldn’t work against a decent player, but that doesn’t apply to most public servers where there is a lot of people just smashing LMB. If we say that new players are those who smash LMB, we can make it so they can’t be king until they know better the different attacks and the other mechanics of the game. (Rank 10 for example)

• @The:

• Stamina: > Make block/parry ineffective when out of stamina.

Make missing a strike cost 2 times more stamina than being parried, and being
    parried cost 2 times more stamina than blocking. This would reward smart play
    and penalise spamming.

-Making block ineffective when out of stamina would reward spamming. There are many ways to bypass parry, which will get rather pointless when you just get to spam your target to out-of-stamina-> out-of-hp.
    I think stamina cost on block / parry / miss / combo / feint should depend on your weapon. It is lots of work to give each weapon it’s own stamina cost stats, but I think it would enrich the game.

-Also the king thing seems a bit weird like some already pointed out.

-I’m a fan of removing crosshair (it would simulate inaccuracy, every shot is a pinpoint shot atm, however there should be some sort of exchange buff for it). However, making all archers fully stationary while shooting is bs. It would totally screw up archer vs archer combat and greatly increase an archers effective mininum range (within which he has to swap to melee weapon or take a high risk to die).

-I support all other suggestions, especially the catapult thing. People can actually use it to dodge projectiles, and it’s already easy enough to miss someone while handling the catapult since each of the small animations is fast and wide enough to dodge incoming fire without even trying. Totally frustration when you try to snipe the catapult with your crossbow.

• @Metrocop:

@Able:

Yeah, it wouldn’t work against a decent player, but that doesn’t apply to most public servers where there is a lot of people just smashing LMB. If we say that new players are those who smash LMB, we can make it so they can’t be king until they know better the different attacks and the other mechanics of the game. (Rank 10 for example)

Problem is I see people of all ranks doing this. If someone is able to quickly gain rank by just slash spamming, why are they going to change that once they hit rank 10? I think more times than not the deserving player becomes king.

As to crosshairs, I never wanted them in the first place. But just removing them wouldn’t be the answer since there is no natural aim indicator like in aoc (tip of the arrow, point of the finger, etc). I would love chiv to go back to that kind of aiming system.

• @Able:

@Metrocop:

@Able:

Problem is I see people of all ranks doing this. If someone is able to quickly gain rank by just slash spamming, why are they going to change that once they hit rank 10? I think more times than not the deserving player becomes king.

Yeah I see your point, we both agree that the rank is not the issue, but atleast making new players (lower than rank 10) unable to be king we can solve part of the issue about the kings.

• @SharpshotSid:

1. Combo backswing can be set in the options menu I believe.
    2. Block and parry are already ineffective when out of stamina, however stamina recharges quickly.
    3. On the flinching, mixed feelings. Could do well with smaller less damaging weapons(shortsword and dagger), but would be hell against heavy hitting weapons(i.e. the maul)

1. I tried the options menu for the backswing problem, it doesn’t really solves anything when it comes to preventing accidental backswinging when you click too much.
    2. Parry isn’t really ineffective when out of stamina, you get pushed back but that’s pretty much it, what I meant was it should be completely ineffective, you would still take the damage.
    3. Yes, it should still have a duration limit, so you couldn’t just spam someone with a heavy weapon.

@Escadin:

-Making block ineffective when out of stamina would reward spamming. There are many ways to bypass parry, which will get rather pointless when you just get to spam your target to out-of-stamina-> out-of-hp.

• I think stamina cost on block / parry / miss / combo / feint should depend on your weapon. It is lots of work to give each weapon it’s own stamina cost stats, but I think it would enrich the game.

If you combine the two suggestions, it doesn’t reward spamming at all, it’s even the opposite, since being parried would cost more stamina than parrying itself.
    But yes, it should still depend on the weapons weight.

@Able:

@Metrocop:

@Able:

@Metrocop:

Yeah I see your point, we both agree that the rank is not the issue, but atleast making new players (lower than rank 10) unable to be king we can solve part of the issue about the kings.

@SharpshotSid:

On the King, what if there are no players above rank 10? I think that, even if a player is below level 10, if he got the highest score he should be allowed to become the king(However, I believe the selection should be based on both rank and score rather than score alone).

Not really, I’ve played defense quite often on this map. The problem is I see many players who get high scores by fighting far from where the objective is, even just going around and steal kills whenever they see an enemy all bloody, already involved in a 3 vs 1 fight, while real good player stand guard and kill only people who reach the Ram for instance.
    So ok, maybe just removing >10 ranks the ability to be King wouldn’t solve the problem, but at least it needs tweaking, like maybe only counting objective score and asking whoever is the fittest if he wants to be King before making him so. Sometimes the guy doesn’t even want to be King because he likes being in the frontline better.

@Escadin:

I’m a fan of removing crosshair (it would simulate inaccuracy, every shot is a pinpoint shot atm, however there should be some sort of exchange buff for it). However, making all archers fully stationary while shooting is bs. It would totally screw up archer vs archer combat and greatly increase an archers effective mininum range (within which he has to swap to melee weapon or take a high risk to die).

Yes, I did think of combining this with a buff like increasing arrow speed even further.

@Able:

As to crosshairs, I never wanted them in the first place. But just removing them wouldn’t be the answer since there is no natural aim indicator like in aoc (tip of the arrow, point of the finger, etc). I would love chiv to go back to that kind of aiming system.

@SharpshotSid:

On the archers, no, no, no. Very much so against that idea. Yes, alot of new players try to snipe with the bow and arrow, and yes, it is frustrating to have a buttload of archers on your team not contributing. But removing the crosshair penalises not only new players, also players who are moderately skilled.

You guys should at least try playing without the crosshair, I think it’s “U” by default to desactivate it. I always do it when I’m archer, it’s tougher but it’s both more rewarding and much more intuitive even if the tip of the arrow doesn’t exactly point to the target.

• Removing cross-hair wont work due to keen players using custom software or simply placing blutack in the middle of their screen.

Being able to parry while jumping adds flavour to the game and adds some variety to the slash feint slash combo.

• @CSui:

Removing cross-hair wont work due to keen players using custom software or simply placing blutack in the middle of their screen.
    Being able to parry while jumping adds flavour to the game and adds some variety to the slash feint slash combo.

You should buy another dictionnary if in the one who currently own “keen” means “cheap”, and “software” means "hack"
    And also “flavour” and “variety” both seems to mean “complete BS” and “having their cake and it eat too”.

• @The:

@CSui:

Removing cross-hair wont work due to keen players using custom software or simply placing blutack in the middle of their screen.

You should buy another dictionnary if in the one who currently own “keen” means “cheap”, and “software” means "hack"
    And also “flavour” and “variety” both seems to mean “complete BS” and “having their cake and it eat too”.

Cheap or not, it is still impossible to implement without players abusing it.

Nothing is more satisfying than 180 spin-jump parrying players who think they have the jump on you.

• I don’t think that parrying while jumping should be taken away. I’ve never actually done it, but it sounds awesome!

• @Metrocop:

@Able:

@The:

That said, you can play until rank 10 and still play like an idiot.

• @CSui:

@The:

@CSui:

Cheap or not, it is still impossible to implement without players abusing it.

Mkay, so we should remove any kind of movement, because people abuse it with speedhack.

@CSui:

Nothing is more satisfying than 180 spin-jump parrying players who think they have the jump on you.

Yeah, when you’re 12, impressed by any kind of spin and you think CoD 360 noscope is the most skilled move in videogame history.
    Otherwise not really.

• @The:

4. Classes

• Archers:

Remove the crosshair for both the bow and the crossbow (EDIT: But increase arrow/bolt speed)
    Make it so they greatly loose accuracy when moving.
    (Both these tweaks would make the archer a class picked by people who
    are really skilled or want to seriously try, instead of noobs who just want
    to snipe, along with decreasing the insane 90% archer teams)

Still nothing being done to make archers a skill-based class.
    People are taking drastic measures:

@JHoersten2:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8296

(Yeah I did, get over it)

• well the “lose accuracy when moving” thing was appearantly in last beta

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.