Chivalry is not an FPS

• FPS = First person SHOOTER

Huge pet peeve of mine. I don’t get why people say chivalry is an FPS. I’ve actually had one guy argue to me that its an FPS because there are archers in the game. It usually comes up if I mention I dont like FPS games, then someone jumps in “CHIVALRY IS AN FPS Y U PLAYIN CHIVALRY NUB LUL”. I believe the devs have referred to the game as a “First person slicer” or something like that, but 95% of the time when people read or say FPS they are referring to the normal “First person shooter” abbreviation. Please, stop calling chivalry an FPS. It doesn’t deserve to be in the same category as generic FPS games.

• First Person Swordfighting.

Your argument is invalid.

• I like the term First Person Slasher

• Ok I got a better one for ya! FPGTIASBINASBIAFPSWPA

First Person Game That Is A Slasher But Is Not A Shooter But Is A First Person Shooter When Playing Archer

• @ChuckingIt:

Ok I got a better one for ya! FPGTIASBINASBIAFPSWPA

First Person Game That Is A Slasher But Is Not A Shooter But Is A First Person Shooter When Playing Archer

Bless you.

• I call this a pointless topic, and this reply as well.

• Apparently the devs think it is a FPS.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it

• @Malekous:

Apparently the devs think it is a FPS.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it

Whoa Cid, I’d never know it was you…

That is all.

• It’s not even exclusively first person.

• FPM - First Person Melee® is what I’ve used to describe it.

While third person is an option, the overwhelming number of pre-existing third person melee titles makes me reluctant to focus on it, or hype it as a revolutionary selling point of the game.

On the other hand, the fact that you can play with either perspective and that both seem to be well implemented may be appealing to some.

I know that other games have tried it before (i.e. Thief series (single player), and many other more forgettable titles), but Chivalry is the first one to get the first person melee formula closest to correct.

Previous attempts always felt floaty and light on impact to me. I feel that since this is the first game to truly “get it,” it’s deserving of a genre acronym all its own; since it will likely spawn many imitators.

• @Siegbert:

It’s not even exclusively first person.

No, it’s not exclusively first person, but the original Age of Chivalry was, thus it was kind of surprising to see the third person option. But as it’s part of the engine, is why they added it in. Plus gives more options for those who prefer it, or like both.

Regardless if someone feels that Chiv is an FPS or not, it’s more about what the devs think, so I’ll go with that lol

"- First Person Slasher

• With a Multiplayer focus

(A competitive multiplayer FPS)."

• i just tell people its a game you get to lop limbs off of in first person.

its an fps game though, although it may not have guns, the mechanics are exactly the same, aim in first person, clicm mouse, and area with crosshair receives damage. splitting hairs over the semantics seems silly.

• All I have to say is:

WHO CARES!

This game is awesome and I will enjoy myself playing it til’ I die! ;)

• (F)irst §erson Medieval Archer Punching (S)imulator - FPS

• Chivalry: Yelling Simulator 2012

• @Dr.Nick:

Chivalry: Yelling Simulator 2012

And soon to be helmet simulator too :D

• They just need to get rid of all weapons and have us man it up with fists…

FistiFUN!!!

• @Kimiko:

They just need to get rid of all weapons and have us man it up with fists…

FistiFUN!!!

Got me thinking of those ol chaps in the 1800’s with curly moustaches, slicked back hair, no shirt and strolling around each other with fists up like angry leprechauns.

Reference:
    http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/images/s … -l-337.jpg

There’s a mod for ya ;)

–-----------

It doesn’t really matter what you call the game, but in regards to the standard Game Genres, it falls under First Person Shooter.

It’s certainly not a Side Scroller.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Got me thinking of those ol chaps in the 1800’s with curly moustaches, slicked back hair, no shirt and strolling around each other with fists up like angry leprechauns.

Reference:
    http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/images/s … -l-337.jpg

There’s a mod for ya ;)

You nailed it! ;)

• To call it an FPS would make the average player think you have a gun and shooting is all you do. So I would never tell a friend to “check out this new FPS game Chivalry”… It’s first and foremost a multiplayer melee fighting game.
    There is 1st person but that’s not the selling point. No one calls Skyrim a FPS.
    The melee mechanics is what makes the game.