Considering quitting because of Archer Class

• For me at least, I am starting to hate even the archers on my own team. They constantly insist on blocking doorways, exits in buildings where you spawn, and just generally take up space. I am sick of being taken out by a ranged class while I am bossing nearly the entire enemy team.

This game is about melee, and I HATE the Archer Class. I think it is highly unfair, cheap, and that they are there as a sort of…what is the word…check to make sure that players WILL die to an arrow at some point. I can’t let my skills and my playtime show through because guess what, an archer just shot me from across the map while I was being a hero.

I can’t stand it anymore. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game, but the Archer Class has ruined it for me. Thank you so much Torn Banner, you have created a truly amazing and FUN game.

• If you really LOVE LOVE LOVE the game deal with it, archers are there and they won’t be removed. All you can do is wait until they add some sort of feature that allows custom servers to choose a maximum per class.

• The game is called >medieval warfare< not >melee warfare< and poor behaviour is not limited to archers. Still if you can’t deal with it: good bye ^^

• @Escadin:

The game is called >medieval warfare< not >melee warfare<. Good bye ^^

Lol yeah no kidding. Have fun :D

• @Escadin:

The game is called >medieval warfare< not >melee warfare< and poor behaviour is not limited to archers. Still if you can’t deal with it: good bye ^^

I do think you completely missed the point of my thread but yes you are right, it is not called Chivalry: Melee Warfare.

• For me at least, I am starting to hate even the archers on my own team. They constantly insist on blocking doorways, exits in buildings where you spawn, and just generally take up space.

If someone is really hopeless you can kick him away, unblocking the way.

This game is about melee, and I HATE the Archer Class. I think it is highly unfair, cheap, and that they are there as a sort of…what is the word…check to make sure that players WILL die to an arrow at some point. I can’t let my skills and my playtime show through because guess what, an archer just shot me from across the map while I was being a hero.

The game isn’t all about melee. Archers are important part of the game and they play vital role in killing foes at range, helping their team that way. I play as three classes; knight, vanguard and archer and I don’t have problem with archers. Or I simply don’t feel as you do, even when they do kill me. Being an archer isn’t as easy as it sounds, actually I think it’s way harder to hit a moving target in this game than it is to win a melee combat.

• @Aisar:

For me at least, I am starting to hate even the archers on my own team. They constantly insist on blocking doorways, exits in buildings where you spawn, and just generally take up space. I am sick of being taken out by a ranged class while I am bossing nearly the entire enemy team.

I can’t stand it anymore. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game, but the Archer Class has ruined it for me. Thank you so much Torn Banner, you have created a truly amazing and FUN game.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Trust me, I know your pain. Archers are my nemesis… But I would never leave this game just because of that. And this game is not just about melee, although it IS a huge part of it. Being able to sneak up on an archer and kill them or being able to dodge their arrows is part of the “fun” and learning experience of the game. Don’t give up yet though!

• @Holy.Death:

For me at least, I am starting to hate even the archers on my own team. They constantly insist on blocking doorways, exits in buildings where you spawn, and just generally take up space.

If someone is really hopeless you can kick him away, unblocking the way.

@1dportjt:

The game isn’t all about melee. Archers are important part of the game and they play vital role in killing foes at range, helping their team that way. I play as three classes; knight, vanguard and archer and I don’t have problem with archers. Or I simply don’t feel as you do, even when they do kill me. Being an archer isn’t as easy as it sounds, actually I think it’s way harder to hit a moving target in this game than it is to win a melee combat.

I think I get what you are saying, I just do not agree. We don’t need a group of 4 archers chilling out in their little hole, picking off players while we all try to have a blast swinging melee weapons and flinging our 2 throwing axes. Two throwing axes or a handful of throwing knives, cool, make it interesting. Archers who can’t be touched unless you make the journey over to them and somehow avoid all the projectiles, no thanks. It’s not fair and frankly I don’t think it belongs in this game. That is just my personal opinion.

I guess it is just personal preference.

Archers are important part of the game and they play vital role in killing foes at range, helping their team that way.

Why? Why is this necessary? I don’t see the logic here.

• A lot of people hate archers, but just as many love archers too. Those being the ones who play them, of course lol. Have you tried playing as an archer?

Anyways, they won’t be leaving any time soon, so you’ll have to make a choice :<

But perhaps they will offer that option to make it where server admins can set their servers to be “melee only”, like for duel servers and the like. I know many have expressed interest for this.

• I really have to question the honesty of people who make posts like this. I have 35 hours in and I’ve never had a single moment where an archer frustrated me…I’m almost never killed by one when I’m playing a melee character. I think their little stabby daggers are more threatening than their bows.

The ONLY time I even notice them is if I’m having a rare go with an archer myself and they counter snipe me…and then I’m just admiring their aim compared to mine, realizing I suck at archery and switch back to melee.

• @callahan9119:

I really have to question the honesty of people who make posts like this. I have 35 hours in and I’ve never had a single moment where an archer frustrated me…I’m almost never killed by one when I’m playing a melee character. I think their little stabby daggers are more threatening than their bows.

The ONLY time I even notice them is if I’m having a rare go with an archer myself and they counter snipe me…and then I’m just admiring their aim compared to mine, realizing I suck at archery and switch back to melee.

What a pleasent reply! ^^

Well it depends on playerskill and type of ranged weapon. Playing with crossbow, I usually score a majority of kills with the short sword :P

I suggest OP to use a shield. It might not make you 100% immune to ranged damage, but it’s enough for you to hit the bottom of any archers “hot target”-list. It makes you immune to headshots, at least and even helps alot when you just carry it on your back.

• Like any first person shooter, a good sniper/archer/whathaveyou can force a team to play in an entirely different manner. Good snipers are emerging and causing this sort of change in gameplay, but really that sort of effect has always been present in any game with ranged combat.

The effectiveness of an archer is directly proportionate with his ability to aim well, and well… most archers are not effective enough at aiming to make up for the gimped damage and reload times that they face with their ranged weaponry and lack of armor.

But again, it’s a careful issue to approach. Sniping in any game is always hard to address due to how wide of a skill ceiling it has (directly proportionate to their aiming.)

Frustrating as it may be, that archer that killed you or is plicking away at you is in all likelihood not helping his team out too much. And in the rare case where the archer is infact having a significant impact on gameplay, there’s a good chance you too have an archer on your team that can take him out.

Remember, it’s a team-based game. The next time you’re having issues with archers, ask a teammate if he can switch to archer to countersnipe, perhaps with the standard crossbow, which one-shots archers with bodyshots. I’ve found that often, someone will actually listen :P.

There were times where I switched over to archer myself to counter-archer and things went a lot more swimmingly after. This is almost mandatory when attempting to break into the castle if the enemy has archers on the battlements.

And has been already said, try zig zagging or using a shield when pursuing an archer yourself.

• The amount of archers I’ve killed is FAR GREATER than the number of times I’ve been killed by them.

Sure, they can be annoying. And it sometimes just doesn’t seem fair that they can just pick you off from the back lines. I’m very archer-concious. If I rush into a battle with archers, I’m going to constantly put my melee foe between me and the archer aim as much as possible, or use the environment to block, or act sporadic to throw off their aim. Of course, If archers are your bane… don’t forget the use of a common shield! MaA and Knight are your friends! If you play Vanguard… switch to MaA or Knight! lol

I will sometimes just wait back until I see a weakness in the enemy defenses and make a beeline for those archers! Tasty!

• @callahan9119:

I really have to question the honesty of people who make posts like this. I have 35 hours in and I’ve never had a single moment where an archer frustrated me…I’m almost never killed by one when I’m playing a melee character. I think their little stabby daggers are more threatening than their bows.

Come to my servers and meet Russian Mafia and Legolas. They may change your mind ;)

Lol

• I don’t even understand WHY they added the archer class in the first place… Weren’t archers generally found in a group to perform volley shots and defend castles under siege and whatnot? Chivalry completely smashes that idea and splatters its brains on the pavement.

• @MoshiMarlo:

I don’t even understand WHY they added the archer class in the first place… Weren’t archers generally found in a group to perform volley shots and defend castles under siege and whatnot? Chivalry completely smashes that idea and splatters its brains on the pavement.

they wre in the orginal game? they were an absolutly MASSIVE portion of medevil combat irl? archers will never leave, theres no reason to, and im not even sure waht the hate is about. even when im playing melee i am never inconvenced by them, sure i get killed every so often, but its no worse then when im triple teamed, or get ran up on, or when im stam locked. i mean honestly, melee classes are just annoying.

im chalking this up to the same problem anyone has, they need a blame. if archers were removed it would be one of the melee classes being to cheap and continue until we have one class and one weapon, then theyd bitch theres no varity. best advice? learn to play it, learn to beat it.

not trying to be an ass, this is just the same topic games hae had for decades./

• @MoshiMarlo:

I don’t even understand WHY they added the archer class in the first place… Weren’t archers generally found in a group to perform volley shots and defend castles under siege and whatnot? Chivalry completely smashes that idea and splatters its brains on the pavement.

Chivalry isn’t real-world authentic, it’s Hollywood realistic. Our Men-at-Arms are the kind of badasses who can dodge so dexterously they appear to teleport. Our Vanguards are the kind of badasses who can do leaping 180 degree slashes with a giant sword and not fall on their faces. Our Knights are the kind of badasses who can swing an enormous maul that could never have been used as an effective weapon by any real Knight, and do it while jumping several feet in the air wearing plate armor (again without falling on their faces). And of course, our Archers are the kind of badasses who wade into the thick of a melee and spray a dozen arrows per minute.

• I love having archers in the game. One of the funnest things to do is to flank past enemy lines to their archers’ nests and go to town. I killed four archers in a row today this way and it was awesome.

• The purpose of an archer is to be a magnet/distraction. All I need to do is stand behind a gauntlet of teammates, not even firing a shot, and enemies will gladly charge straight at me, at which point I parry their blow and a teammate lops their head off from behind. No arrows required!

• Kimiko-A lot of people hate archers, but just as many love archers too. Those being the ones who play them, of course lol. Have you tried playing as an archer?

No, and I likely never will. I do not want to be that player.

callahan9119-I really have to question the honesty of people who make posts like this. I have 35 hours in and I’ve never had a single moment where an archer frustrated me…I’m almost never killed by one when I’m playing a melee character. I think their little stabby daggers are more threatening than their bows.

Not only is that incredibly insulting, but I would question your honesty as well. I have been playing a ton since I bought the game (I said I loved the game, and I meant it) and I have had more frustrating moments with archers than I can count. I would not be making this post and making my name known like this if I was not serious about this. I don’t believe anything you said there, sorry, I don’t.

Escadin-I suggest OP to use a shield. It might not make you 100% immune to ranged damage, but it’s enough for you to hit the bottom of any archers “hot target”-list. It makes you immune to headshots, at least and even helps alot when you just carry it on your back.

I play Vanguard exclusively. I have gotten very good with the class, and it just clicked with me perfectly. I won’t be using a shield, and I don’t believe I should have to. Perhaps that is my problem, and if so, then maybe this game is not for me.

Derpasaur-Remember, it’s a team-based game. The next time you’re having issues with archers, ask a teammate if he can switch to archer to countersnipe, perhaps with the standard crossbow, which one-shots archers with bodyshots. I’ve found that often, someone will actually listen

I can see this being realistic with a pre-made or if you just happen to be with a good team but other than that I can’t see this being valid. No offense intended :D

opticalshadow-im chalking this up to the same problem anyone has, they need a blame.

Just letting you know, you are very wrong.

opticalshadow-not trying to be an ass, this is just the same topic games hae had for decades./

It never occured to you that there might be a reason for so many posts about the same thing?

Reaverslug-I love having archers in the game. One of the funnest things to do is to flank past enemy lines to their archers’ nests and go to town. I killed four archers in a row today this way and it was awesome.

This is actually my favorite as well. Recently I took down 3 in a row, the other day I managed four (they were within 5 feet, never saw me). Felt SO good…

I probably missed something but those were the big ones I saw.