Votekick and the Modern Troll… A Temporary Ban, Perhaps?

• Developers, after trying to enjoy multiple games of Chivalry, and being repeatedly teamkilled by trolls who would leave the game seconds before they were votekicked, I’d like to make the following suggestion.

Please create a server option such that if a player is votekicked, they are temporarily banned from the server for a number of minutes that can be determined by the server admin. It is extremely important, however, that this ban should be implemented whether or not the player leaves the game before the vote timer is finished.

I imagine 30-60 minutes would be sufficient to dissuade all but the most inexhaustible troublemakers.

Please, don’t just post and say ‘you should go to another server,’ because that’s simply giving up and allowing the trolls to have their way. Why should legitimate players succumb to such disruptive behavior?

If anyone has a better or alternate suggestion, please chime in.

If you support the idea of a tempban for votekicked players, please post a small show of support on this thread. This idiocy ruins games.

• Votekick is already a 5 minute ban, which is enough to discourage all but the most dedicated trolls from waiting around to rejoin the server. I don’t think extending it to 30-60 minutes is necessary.

But yes, the temp ban should apply even if the player leaves the server before the vote is finished, definitely.

• @SlyGoat:

But yes, the temp ban should apply even if the player leaves the server before the vote is finished, definitely.

I’ll add that to my internal baby bug list.

• Okay, I didn’t realize there was a timer already in place. But yeah, hoping this bug is resolved soon! :)

• Nice to know about the 5 minutes ban. I’ve already wondered why kicking is so useful in this game.
    Besides that, totally agree with OP about banning the early leavers.

• There are griefers that will avoid the temporary votekick bans by always quitting the server just before the vote succeeds. They return until people become tired of voting and just quit. I’d suggest that if a player is on a succeeding votekick when he quits the effect should be the same as a succeeded votekick.

• The duration of the ban can already be changed in the server configuration. Most server owners don’t change it.

(DefaultGame.ini)

• @SlyGoat:

Votekicking is abused. I’ve been vote kicked many times, for no reason other than a player and some of his friends thought it would be funny to kick the same person over and over again. (If you have enough people on the one server voting yes constantly there’s nothing you can do). I’ve seen it happen to other people as well.

• Along the same lines of Votekicking and its abusive nature,
    I am tired of being kicked for No reason.
    The current % needed is too low. Griefers revel in the ability to team up and turn a good player away from the game for simply winning/trash talking/boasting Or just being better than them. Its ruining the game. Also, Limit the number of vote kicks that can be cast by one person per session. Repeat kicks until you get your way are also very annoying and very unfair. People simply get tired of voting, and generally succumb to the YES vote rather than the Nay vote Just to get the whiner to stop voting. Ill tell you this, Its turning me away from the game. The game is great, it needs its polish but its a great base for something bigger. Dont let trolls/griefers and exploiters ruin it.

If this is also something that can be changed via the admin… well thats great. Now where are the active admins?

• @R_0_A_R:

If this is also something that can be changed via the admin… well thats great. Now where are the active admins?

As a matter of fact, yes there is something that can be changed. For any other server admins here, it can be found on lines 75-78 of DefaultGame.ini

So really, the problem is not the devs, its the server admins who don’t bother to change these values.

• By the way… ALREADY SUGGESTED MANY TIMES.