***NEED HELP FOR AN ASSIGNMENT REGARDING KNIGHTS***

• Hello everyone.

I come to you asking for help, because i have been asked to write an assignment regarding medieval knights and their armour.
    I do know quite a lot myself, but i would like you guys to comment on what you think are vital to describe when speaking about the orignings of the plate wearing medieval knight.
    I need answers on the following questions bellow. Thanks for your help in advance! :)

What factors could have lead to the invention of the plate wearing knight if you think within the politics aspect, could fx. be (The way recourses are being managed and trade)?

What factors could have lead to the invention of the plate wearing knight if you think within the politics aspect, could fx. be (How the society is ruled, how the power is distributed) ?

What factors could have lead to the invention of the plate wearing knight if you think within the cultural aspect, could fx. be (Cultural values like religion and the undertanding of the world)?

What factors could have lead to the invention of the plate wearing knight if you think within the surroundings aspect, could fx. be (Geographical and climate conditions)?

I am to turn in this assignment on Wednessday 25th of April, so quick and detailed answers would be much appreciated!!!

• The evolution of plate mail began like all arms races do "How do I keep myself from getting killed?"Plate armor had been around centuries before, but the best armor available at the time was chainmail. Eventually, people started to put pauldrons on their hauberks, then some chest pieces, and eventually that simply evolved into the full plate we know.

1 It wasn’t so much how resources were being managed and traded, it was simply that they had little interest in strapping chunks of metal over their flexible rings. Eventually, they realized that plates would help in places. They had the resources for years, it takes very little more metal to make a plate curiass than it does to make the chest segment for a chain shirt.

2. Knights had been growing in more importance. When they started, knights were nothing more than elite warriors mounted on horseback. By the time plate armor came around, knights were the elite gentlemen of society, with their own honor code and hereditary titles. Being a knight was more important, and fewer people were allowed in, so each knight was more valuable than their predecessors.

3. With the importance of a knight growing, so to did the desire to keep him safe. The more knights lived to fight another day, the more powerful men you had in your next battle. With the shift of importance from being just a warrior to being quite simply a lesser noble at the very least, their pride gave them the chance to experiment. So they straps plates to their shoulders and discovered they warded off blows very easily, and it evolved from there.

3. From the cultural aspect, the knights had been fighting the Saracens for a large number of years off-and-on, and became exposed to a lot of different fighting techniques that they had never seen before. The Saracen armies had already begun to develop something similar to plate armor, and, just like the use of silks, surcoats, and the evolution of medicine, Europeans who returned from crusade carried with them stories of men who could ward off a dozen blows.

4. The climate actually would be detrimental to plate, in any form. Strapping yourself into plate armor is like putting yourself in an oven. Even the lightest, most breathable full plate armors will roast you if you’re not careful. If anything, other than maneuverability, the simple fact that plate got really hot was a main reason that plate was so segmented. Plate flexed easily, and breathed easier, but you can’t stay in it for long, and battles shortened after the beginning of plate armors.

I am not the foremost authority, I would check and recheck the info given here. I spouted these from the top of my head, but it’s been a few years since I looked into the evolution of plate armors. Don’t take everything I said as fact, double check it. I don’t want to be wrong and have you get a bad grade because of me.

• Very interesting and solid reading. I will surely be able to use some of this along with some historical sources. Thanks a lot Ajax, keep it comming people, the more thoughts the better!