Shield Hit Boxes

• Are you able to hit around shields or is there a mechanic in place that disallows other plays to hit around it? Unless I’m suffering from poor net-code, then I am being blocked by shields when I am facing the player from the side, where no shield is available to block me.

My suggestion is to have shield hit boxes match the shields more accurately, so that agile players can hit around them from the side. I believe this will increase the skill required and allow players to prove themselves as more efficient fighters as a result.

• Try kicking him.

• Are you able to hit around shields or is there a mechanic in place that disallows other plays to hit around it? Unless I’m suffering from poor net-code, then I am being blocked by shields when I am facing the player from the side, where no shield is available to block me.

Blocking with a shield works the same way as a regular parry. You just gain a couple of abilities: you can block for a very long time (although there is some period of how long can you hold your shield up, depending on the size of it), projectiles hitting area of the shield won’t hit you and you use shield bash instead of a kick. Shields also add some reaction time between your defense and attack time (depends on the shield) and blocking with a shield cost less stamina (depending on a shield type).

So, yes - it’s possible to hit “around shields” and kill a person if they don’t have their view centered on the tip of your weapon. I guess it’s done that way to prevent shields from being overpowered.

• In Age of Chivalry, shields were much more of a “guaranteed defense.” If you had it up, you pretty much had a close to 180 degree sector of invulnerability, barring some edge cases. However, both raising and holding up your shield costed stamina.

I like Chivalry:MW’s approach more, though the hitboxes could use an increase simply because they don’t feel very reliable. But the core mechanic is sound. It’s just a shame the low block area of the shield sometimes rewards LMB spammers.

• @zaript:

Try kicking him.

Kicking doesn’t seem to be useful for killing shield-users, since the opponent can just easily put his shield back up.

I would like to see the kick get some kind of buff.