Jump Kicking

• Hi guys,

I’m personally a big fan of jump kicks, as I feel it adds a lot more movement and flexibility to an otherwise stiff and laggy kick attack. However, I’ve noticed that if an opponent is advancing on you and you do a jump kick in their direction, your character’s collision becomes stuck on top of the enemy. You lose the ability to move, and the enemy can pelt you with an unblockable attack before you can get free. I never noticed this happening until recently, but I was told by someone that the latest patch ‘fixed’ the jump kick so that it could no longer use headshot damage modifiers; I’m not sure if this is true and if this is a potential cause.

Now, while this is an obvious bug, I was curious as to whether people thought jump kicks were intentional and/or made to be viable. Furthermore, if they are unintentional, are they nevetheless desired? I would personally love to keep them around, with less buggy clipping but no damage modifiers.

• Getting stuck in mid-air if someone runs into you while you’re airborne definitely needs sorting; it screams ‘beta product’.

• I’ve spent a lot of time floating on top of people’s heads after landing on them. It’s funny but pretty buggy.

• Yeah, getting stuck on someone’s head is not limited to jump kicks. Often when I do a jump stab, I get stuck on people. Against a maul, I have a tendecny to lose my head. And Fun fact, you can jump kick over someone’s head. Its pretty funny to see a knight kick over someone’s head lol.

• What are you people complaining about? I find it humorous and quite enjoyable ;)

• This happens to me often when I think I am being a badass and are about to do an assassin’s creed drop down and oops, I am riding on your shoulders!

It has never actually bothered me, just one of those things like…ok…that happened :D

• @Kimiko:

What are you people complaining about? I find it humorous and quite enjoyable ;)

humorous and enjoyable? getting stuck in midair? in a game that hopes to be competitive?

• @boomandvibe:

@Kimiko:

What are you people complaining about? I find it humorous and quite enjoyable ;)

humorous and enjoyable? getting stuck in midair? in a game that hopes to be competitive?

I was being sarcastic xP

(I know it’s hard to understand such things on the internet :<)

• Morgan Page did a song in the air. If you listen to that while you play chivalry, this would no longer be a problem for you.

• It seems like players are within invisible cubes, and when they land on top of each other, it’s like tetris, but where blocks can be moved side to side after they land, but there’s no tipping over after passing a center of gravity of course. The edge of the bottom of the cube on top has to go to the edge of the top of the cube on bottom before the guy on top falls down.

• I like this “people in cubes” theory and will test it by jumping on someone’s head.

One thing I’ve yet to see in a video game is the ability to invert and walk on one’s hands. We can float on each other’s heads, but it’s nearly impossible to do an inversion.

• The game uses a cylinder for the player’s bounds.

• crouching doesn’t alter your bounds.

• you can get on top of other players, but you cannot come to rest there. You will repeatedly bounce. It’s tricky, but done right this can be used for jump exploiting.

• You can view the collision bounds using console commands ‘show collision’, and ‘nxvis collision’. The former shows just mesh bounds, but is cheat protected. The latter shows the bounds of every entity, but will drop you down to below 1 fps.

• Jump kicking? I’ve never seen such a thing being done in Chivalry. While this does not seem viable when looking from a realistic perspective - given that most of the classes are heavily armoured and would not be able to perform this with ease - I do fully support the notion of this game leaning more towards the unrealistic, because let’s face it; “Red Orchestra 2 has a much larger playerbase than Quake Live” said no one EVER. So if jump kicking is a useful mechanic then by all means, it should be kept in the game! Perhaps, though, it should drain all of your stamina as a penalty.