Why is Man at Arms so underplayed ?

• After few hours of gameplay I noticed there’s a lack of MAAs and battlefield is dominated by vanguard of knight. Why ?

• Give it a few (or maybe 1) months…

Man at Arms has more of a learning curve, so players find it easier to get kills with vanguard and knight. Many of the experienced players play MAA, and I suspect we’ll see more MAA’s than anything else with due time.

Provided there are no huge game-changing updates.

• There is no room for an mistake with MaA.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

There is no room for an mistake with MaA.

There is room for mistakes if you know how to correct them very quickly.

• @wombir:

Why is Man at Arms so underplayed ?

@wombir:

underplayed ?

@wombir:

Man at Arms underplayed

underplayed
    underplayed
    underplayed
    r u srs

What game mode do you play? :|

• All the modes. All of them.

But them there’s always that one MMA carrying the team with a 30-8 or something.

• One of the reasons are because MAA are a skirmisher and duelist class.

They are the best 1vs1 class and skirmisher in the game.
    But in big games with heavy melees, they don’t last very long.

Like push the cart, you want heavy classes, such as the Knight and Vanguard to push/hold the line.

Vanguards are also very affected by lag and buggy animations, because they cannot afford taking damage, which makes them ‘less safe’ to play.

MAAs are also susceptible to sharp eyed archers. The more skilled archers out there have a tendancy to target MAAs and Archers first, and use one-hit kill crossbows or broadheaded arrows, which makes you run the risk of sudden death while playing MAA.

• MaA takes more team coordination and gamesense to employ effectively, and also work better in small teams in general. Clutch MaA play is flanking the enemy, isolating one guy and forcing him to fight you solo where you have the edge, and then joining the fight with a player advantage and attacking the other team from behind, forcing them to divide their attention. If more than one of them goes after you, you can just use your mobility and dodge to peel them away from the fight.

Generally you don’t want tons of MaA on your team because a core of knights/VGs is a more solid pushing and holding force when you stack up on the objective. MaA is pretty much melee support the way archer is ranged support.

Edit: MaA also works very well WITH an archer for taking out enemy archers. If you’re sprinting and strafing with a shield you can be very difficult to hit, and you force the archers to divide their attention between you and your friendly archer who’s shooting at them. And of course you and your archer can also team up on melee; you can easily strafe around to force a shield user to divide their attention and expose their back to arrows.

• Sloppy and Clunky Dodge. Norse sword nerf. Knight with 1h is better in every way outside of long 1vs1 duels that almost never happen with more players around

• Personally, I don’t play much MAA because they don’t get mauls.

I have been playing a lot more vanguard lately for falcon punches.

• MAA die in one jav, arrow, vansword, or maul swing.

Two hits from all decent secondaries

knights don’t

I’d rather live while fighting 2 guys and an archer and taking a single hit from one of them

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

MAA die in one jav, arrow, vansword, or maul swing.

Two hits from all decent secondaries

knights don’t

I’d rather live while fighting 2 guys and an archer and taking a single hit from one of them

that

@x123:

Sloppy and Clunky Dodge. Norse sword nerf. Knight with 1h is better in every way outside of long 1vs1 duels that almost never happen with more players around

amd that.

Man at arm isn’t even the best class in 1vs1. 1 handed knight his better. He will just win at trading hits. He can tank your 4 attacks while you will die in 1-2 of his attacks. Since flinching doesn’t work properly, you won’t be able to prevent him from attacking and this will become a hit trading game (in which he wins).

MMA is just good at seizing oportunities to finish off oponent that are in the middle of a fight with an ally = stealing the kill.

That’s right = MMA is the best kill stealing class in the whole game. Lamest class.

• MAA is a good dueling class if you are good, but I find the class a poor choice in a typical team game, especially on the bigger servers.

The issue is that you are really squishy and the weapons available to you force to get in close to your opponent to do damage. This makes you very vulnerable to hits trading, archers and friendly fire. All it takes is one stray hit from a friendly and you’ll either die from it or most of your health will be gone. This makes for a very frustrating class to play, especially when you are new to the game.

• Man at arm isn’t even the best class in 1vs1. 1 handed knight his better

I think this is hardly true. I find most 1hander knights to be fodder. Getting around their shield extends the fight for a while, but you can abuse their very slow speed and low reach with a 2hander of your own so effectively that they become rather trivial to fight. MAA has some serious speed and maneuverability that they become extremely dangerous 1v1. I think since this game is brand new, we haven’t seen a lot of good MAAs yet. But once people learn to use their footwork and speed effectively this will change drastically.

• As it has been said, I also think it is due to the learning curve of the class - compared to the others which will seem more appealing for new or just generally most players because they are “safer” and easy to go to. No doubt that the MaA (stats wise) is the weaker class compared to Vanguard or Knight, but with a skilled player who masters his speed and dodge ability, and being able to read opponents and think up tactics, he can easily dominate among Vanguards and Knights.

The class is definitely the most challenging one, but that’s why I love playing it. It takes a lot of practice, thought and skill to master, but eventually you will be able to do 1v1’s with Knights and Vanguards and win without taking a scratch.

• In small games where isolated fights or good coordination happen, MAA are wonderful. In large 16 vs 16 pub games, a MAA in a large cluster battle is really squishy. With swords flying around from every angle, you need a front line composed of people who can take punch to the mouth. MAA’s still exist in larger games, but the normal 2 per team seems to fit with their play style.

PLUS! When you think of medieval heroes you think of :k1: :arm: :cheers:

not :pick: :stab:

• Underplayed? Did I hear you correctly?

Anyway, if not many people are going MaA in the servers you’re on it’s because they favour the helicopter vanguard/knight spam swings. Ergo, you are among a large demographic of twelve-year-olds.

• It’s my favorite class and most played by far.

• I often play MAA, but if there is alot of knights its pointless.
    U cant make 1 single mistake with maa, cus if you fo the knight will one hit you with a 2h -.-

• @SlyGoat:

Edit: MaA also works very well WITH an archer for taking out enemy archers. If you’re sprinting and strafing with a shield you can be very difficult to hit, and you force the archers to divide their attention between you and your friendly archer who’s shooting at them. And of course you and your archer can also team up on melee; you can easily strafe around to force a shield user to divide their attention and expose their back to arrows.

I confirm this, an archer has to pay full attention to both, but he can’t fight them at once. The maa will eventually force him into melee where he can do nothing but watch out for deadly broadheads while he watches the maa’s legs, trying to judge when he will dodge in for a real attack. They also have the potential to kill several unaware archers very quickly.
    This is basically a high pressure and very deadly team. Most people won’t even know how to handle it.