How to parry effectively?

• Not advice I’m afraid, rather a request for tips.

I’m neither awful at the game nor very good. One of my primary weaknesses is parrying certain types of attack. Generally I play as Knight/Vanguard and often find myself unable to fend off close range axe/mace attacks. Sure I can kick them away but against a good player this seems to be a weak defense. The main issue is one of three things

a) A hit lands and the attacker seems to be able to land another hit before I can even parry. Recently I’ve even had this happen with opponents using two-handed swords. Surely the combos shouldn’t be that fast, especially for heavy weapons. (I’m guessing with the 2H something else is going on?)

b) I’m parrying his hits but he keeps attacking before I can counterattack. I manage to kick him but get a mace in the face. Is it just my timing? Perhaps a kick should be able to interrupt all attacks following a parry but I’m finding it very hard to do so against fast weapons.

c) Archers getting inside my reach and going psycho-killer with their daggers. Basically both of the above with the added annoyance that my Knights plate armor is suddenly made of paper.

A couple of additional issues:

d) I’m seeing people do swings that turn nearly 360 degrees (I’m assuming an oversensitive mouse allows it). I don’t know if swings do their full damage through the whole arc of their path (really it should be far less damage for the 1st and last third of the swing). Am I just imagining this or are crazy spinning top attacks that damage everything in their path possible?

e) I’m capable of blocking and know to look at the tip but occassionaly shots just go straight through what seems to be a solid block. Should I put this down to lag? Or, is it likely due to mouse-dragging? If the latter, is there any visual cues that I should be able to catch to catch or is it impossible to tell the difference betwen a regular swing and one thats been delayed?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

(Adding my voice to those requesting a change to the Vanguard Suicide Lunge)

• To be honest, I think some people are simply hacking the game files in a way that VAC isn’t detecting. I’ve seen knights using the slowest sword which can instantly attack after being flinched, interrupted, parried, or blocked. And there are clearly hackers using some kind of auto-block cheat which will parry ten attacks in a row from a group of people hitting them from all directions without even turning to face anyone. The auto-blockers upset me the most, those with augmented run, swing and attack speeds can still be killed, but there’s something nightmarish about chasing someone and repeatedly stabbing them in the back, only to have them parry your attacks without turning around, slowing down, or anything, they just keep running in the same direction having magically parried you from the rear over and over.

• Yeah, it’s your timing. You need to predict what opponents will want to do next, usually you start strafing and push each other back and forth. If you’re both just trading hits, you need to learn how to feint and effectively counter-attack.

FYI you need to aim your parries to the direction of the enemies swing.

• Lag and buggy animations.

You need to know your own connection.
    You need to know your opponents ping.
    You need to know the actual Area of Effects of the weapons(models aren’t always correct)

And then you need to compensate after seeing where your opponent’s swing is coming from.

It’s a good simulator, but it is not a perfect one. It’s a lot of predicting and guesswork, and occassional bugs here and there like people swinging even though they are hit etc.

• @SinerAthin:

Lag and buggy animations.

You need to know your own connection.
    You need to know your opponents ping.
    You need to know the actual Area of Effects of the weapons(models aren’t always correct)

And then you need to compensate after seeing where your opponent’s swing is coming from.

It’s a good simulator, but it is not a perfect one. It’s a lot of predicting and guesswork, and occassional bugs here and there like people swinging even though they are hit etc.

This is in no ways a simulator.

• @SinerAthin:

Thats one of the things I really don’t like. Not being able to judge effectively based on what I can see, moves it from being a game of reflexes, quick thinking and reading your opponent, to one where knowledge of exploits (glitches, hitboxes, lag effects, etc.) becomes arguably more valuable than any of the other skills.

I know these things are unavoidable in online games but at present Chiv seems to have an overabundance of them. Hopefully it will be brought down to a reasonable level in continuing patches.

As it is, I’m now finding that when in a server with a high scoring player, often when I go up against them they’ll hit me (and doubtless everyone else they kill) with a particular attack that bypasses parries. There are of course plenty who are just plain ‘good’ and beat me the regular way.

Today it was an overhand attack from a studded club that went straight throught my perfectly positioned shield. Yesterday, 2H sword attacks that went straight past any parry. I love a a challenge and playing against better players is the only way to improve (as I said above I’m not especially good) but getting beaten this way is frustrating as I don’t want to learn/use similar tactics. I do, however, want to know what they are and how to defend against them.

@Staypuff:

To be honest, I think some people are simply hacking the game files in a way that VAC isn’t detecting.

Today I hit a knight twice in the front chest with Vanguard throwing axes. He had a shield on his back and his weapon didnt move when I hit him. Both times though there was a weird impact noise (not the one for hitting a shield, or for anything else I’d heard before) and he took no damage. I had put it down to a bug but maybe the hacks are starting to diversify.

• The incidence of models not matching up with their hitboxes is a little exaggerated. There are only a couple misleading hitboxes that I’m aware of, and for said weapons, it is not a global problem, but usually one specific attack that is mildly off.

I’d like to try and help out with your parrying troubles, and I sent you a PM. :)