I dont see any reason why not–breaking shields

• I know this has been brought up, and I know some people have been for it, but also alot against it.

However, i must say, truly, this game needs breakable shields….

I mean, constantly talking about nerfing shields “shields are op” ect, is getting boring…

shields need to be a part of the game. It’s medieval times.

However, THEY ARE DEFINITELY OP.

I am a shield supporter, but there is no doubt they are OP.

They make you invincible to archers, able to hold a block, and be near invincible. If you have a shield, YOU CAN CONTROL the battle.

And yes, there are ways around them, if your fast enough to get beside ur opponent, or stab then where the shield doesnt cover, or get overtop the shield with a jump, cool, u got around it. u can spam the shield till the stamina is low too. but dude, really, the shield still has the advantage.

now throw in the fact shield users have 1H weapons which are already OP, this just needs a fix.

I dont think the fix is to add more stamina debuffs or making raising shield slower or any of that crap. I think we should go the M&B route and make them breakable.

Instead of making the game more balanced by making shields less fun to use.

We should make the game more balanced, by making it more fun, and in some ways realistic.

Shields should be able to:

take an infinite amount of arrows. Shields were very often used to stop arrows. In real life you’d have shields completely covered with arrows sticking out of them. Shields should be Rock paper scissors vs Archers.

Also, they should play there role and be able to block enemy attacks effectively, even a bit more so then your average block.

However, they should not be invincible.

It just peeves me off when im running at some dude with a bardiche or pole axe or massively heavy weapon and he throws up a little heater shield and “blocks” all of my attacks, with not even a scratch on his shield appearing. Then he just stabs me with his 1 hander and im dead.

Fix this, weapons should slowly tear apart shields. maybe it can take 3-5 hits, and then its falling apart and you start to take damage “through the shield” for another 2-3 hits then the shield falls apart entirely and there is no more shield.

Dont say “oh this game isnt M&B” or “oh this wouldnt work for chivalry its to fast paced”

stfu, ive played enough now to see, this game NEEDS this. would fix alot of issues and even make the game more fun to play while balancing it.

serious, the shields need a counter. a counter that doesnt take away fun from the game but makes it more fun is best

• I dont think shields are such a massive advantage. In melee, the only important difference is that you can actually hold the shield up, wich prevents you from taking any other action, and your opponent can free kick you.

I dont see any logic reason to make shields breakable, you cant really turtle, it doesnt cover 100% of your body from arrows, and it blocks your view when raised as a drawback. Also, have in mind the shield takes the support item slot, so when taking a shield you arent taking throwing axes, knives or fire pots, it has to offer something in exchange. Ranged damage protection and slightly increased block radius seems fair to me.

• They make you invincible to archers, able to hold a block, and be near invincible. If you have a shield, YOU CAN CONTROL the battle.

Untrue. It’s more the question where you aim. Only shield that might be “invincible to archers” is the tower shield and this one is the worst when it comes to melee due to its stats and how it affects melee combat. The biggest downside is you can’t see through it and you do need to know where to center your aim to effectively block. Archers needs a way to be counteracted and there are two - be an archer yourself to pick them off or take a class with a shield and go for them. I think it balances everything out. Archers don’t need help in this department as they have already a plenty of two handers (both vanguards and knights) to choose their targets from.

And yes, there are ways around them, if your fast enough to get beside ur opponent, or stab then where the shield doesnt cover, or get overtop the shield with a jump, cool, u got around it. u can spam the shield till the stamina is low too. but dude, really, the shield still has the advantage.

So what? Two handers have their own advantages as well, making them still a viable choice in comparison. Shield users need to get closer in order to hit and they still have to block properly which isn’t all that easy as it seems.

Fix this, weapons should slowly tear apart shields. maybe it can take 3-5 hits, and then its falling apart and you start to take damage “through the shield” for another 2-3 hits then the shield falls apart entirely and there is no more shield.

Do that and you’ll simply make shields unusable. It’s ridiculous to “take damage through the shield” when you do not take damage while blocking with your weapon. Shield doesn’t make you any more unbeatable.

• Shields don’t need to be breakable. They block your vision and are easy to get around with arrows, and even easier in melee. They’re also much slower.

Breakable shields are just a lazy way to balance them.

• If breakable shields become an option than so does broken wooden weapons. The poles of spears, poleaxes, bearded axe, etc. Nobody wants that, the only reason it works in mount and blade is because you can always find another one on the ground in a battle. It is not something chivalry needs.

• While I agree that shields are overpowered (well, more that they’re a crutch - they take away all of the timing elements of blocking and have almost no downside), breakable shields wouldn’t be a solution. If you make shields so fragile that they can break over the course of a single fight, the shield playstyle is pretty much gone forever. If you make shields sturdy enough to survive several fights in a row, nothing has really changed. There’s no middle ground here.

• "Solutions for slightly overpowerd shields"

Solution 1: More Stamina drain if continously kept up.

Solution 2: Works exactly like the parying, only that with the shield you dont really need to target
    your block!

• Well I figured i’d come here to share the idea of javelins rendering shields useless. Or having a chance too at least. Figured it was an interesting idea but not all ideas are good ideas. Heh heh.

• this is an awesome idea!

• I can’t say I agree with most of the sentiments here. The notion shields are OP is questionable at best (it’s already been said they’re more of a crutch), and one-handers are certainly not out of place.

I think the problem isn’t with shields as much as it is with shoves. They’re not effective enough. I feel it would be appropriate to make shoves a little harder to pull off, but stun for a lot longer, so as to allow at least one hit. However, make it so that if you’re shoved while not parrying or blocking, you’re not stunned for very long at all. This would introduce counterplay to the counter, so shoving doesn’t become OP, and all will be right with the world.

Of course, there’s the exploit with shields that allow you to bypass shield’s lowering time by attacking with the shield up. That’s a bug. Once that’s fixed and something’s done with shove, I feel shields will fall into place.

• @SlyGoat:

While I agree that shields are overpowered (well, more that they’re a crutch - they take away all of the timing elements of blocking and have almost no downside), breakable shields wouldn’t be a solution. If you make shields so fragile that they can break over the course of a single fight, the shield playstyle is pretty much gone forever. If you make shields sturdy enough to survive several fights in a row, nothing has really changed. There’s no middle ground here.

this^

• While I support the idea of javelins having a chance to render shields useless, shields should breaking in a fight. I idea was to let his guard down or tire him out and then strike. Most stamina drain per swing? You are holding two heavy things after all. As for MMAs, the buckler should be left as is but the other shield should make you lose more stamina per action.