ITT: Instant Overhead Bug + Poleaxe

• Discuss this, fair or not. Does it stay or go?

• If you mean the crouching while launching an overhead… I don’t think it was intended like that. It literally attacks faster than a dagger attack like that and messes with the hitbox so you can’t parry it right.

• Wind up look directly down.

• I would not be opposed to swing manipulation/dragging only applying to horizontal aim for overheads. I.E. they always start at the same height and travel at the same speed regardless of if you’re looking up or down. It’s the only way I see of cleaning up this odd discrepancy without effecting the entire controllable swings mechanic.

• What exactly is the problem with accelerating or decelerating attacks though? It adds another layer to the combat, and without it, fighting without feints (my hope for the future) would be far less viable.

I don’t know, I never had any real issues defending against people who use this tactic but it certainly spices it up and makes it more intense. The only exception I can note is on some weapons this doesn’t quite look right animation wise, but that’s not an issue with the core mechanic, just that animations need a bit more work in general (especially axes).

Although keep in mind I make sure to always play on servers with good ping… that helps.

• @SlyGoat:

I would not be opposed to swing manipulation/dragging only applying to horizontal aim for overheads. I.E. they always start at the same height and travel at the same speed regardless of if you’re looking up or down. It’s the only way I see of cleaning up this odd discrepancy without effecting the entire controllable swings mechanic.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. It could cause some problems when trying to over hand people beneath you, but I would accept that to fix this exploit.

• fighting this “technique” is very intense, but that doesn’t mean it ain’t fun. I can accept it as an “advanced” combat technique, because as challanging a 3 attacks + parry combat system can be, it definetly needs some more depth. If it weren’t for dragging and fasten / slowed attacks, the combat system were pretty dull.
    It should however be more supported animation wise, like stated before and probably needs some tweaking on certain weapons where the attack connects just too fast

I’m also happy that archer can hardly exploit this, so they basically have another well deserved disadvantage in melee

• @SlyGoat:

I would not be opposed to swing manipulation/dragging only applying to horizontal aim for overheads. I.E. they always start at the same height and travel at the same speed regardless of if you’re looking up or down. It’s the only way I see of cleaning up this odd discrepancy without effecting the entire controllable swings mechanic.

You can basically do the same thing with a slash attack by positioning the opponent right at the start of the swing. Unless you remove the realtime strikes this will be always be exploited. I personally don’t see it as an issue it just adds more depth to the game.

• Just make the combat system like warband please.

• I think its fine. As stated, it would hard to get rid of with the real-time hitting.

• @Knil:

@SlyGoat:

You can basically do the same thing with a slash attack by positioning the opponent right at the start of the swing. Unless you remove the realtime strikes this will be always be exploited. I personally don’t see it as an issue it just adds more depth to the game.

I’m mostly talking about crouching and overheading while looking at the floor. Doing this has a tendency to completely bypass your block.