Overrated and underrated weapons

• There are some weapons that get to much love and some that get no love at all. So I want to know the community’s opinion on what’s overrated and not.

My thoughts… I would have to say off the top of my head that the maul is pretty overrated. Don’t bash my skull open, Slaughtervomit. :< It’s not a bad weapon and it’s kind of easy to counter(I think…), but every time when I’m up against a knight with that weapon I have a feeling I have a death wish. Even when I play knight, I don’t feel safe fighting against the maul. :(

For underrated, I would definitely say the war axe. Sure, it’s no dane axe, but it’s underestimated power and even speed makes this weapon far from useless. It’s basically the Falchion as an axe. I’m pretty sure a pro(or even great) MAA can pick up this weapon and do really good with it. :P Honorable mentions go to light cross bow and maybe the cudgel.

• Maul is indeed very slow, but thats part of the fun of it. Using it is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Im undecided on the holy-water sprinkler. No one uses it. But I think it has potential in the right hands because of the speed.

• Archers. I hate archers :) Not sure what, but something has to change. Force them to use melee more. It’s nice to have them in the game as they add a sense of realism and variety, but they’re just so damn annoying, and really piss me off sometimes.

Other than that, the second class often is a bit too fast. The dodge just looks unnatural, and people who master it are invincible. Other classes are just too slow to properly deal with it.

I’ve got no problems with the rest. I can handle them easily enough in a duel.

• @dem0n:

Archers. I hate archers :) Not sure what, but something has to change. Force them to use melee more. It’s nice to have them in the game as they add a sense of realism and variety, but they’re just so damn annoying, and really piss me off sometimes.

Other than that, the second class often is a bit too fast. The dodge just looks unnatural, and people who master it are invincible. Other classes are just too slow to properly deal with it.

I’ve got no problems with the rest. I can handle them easily enough in a duel.

wow random archer rant :D + it’s totally legit to rant about a class which name you don’t even know….

Most overrated weapon for me is halberd. At least, 50% off all pub vanguards use it and they do well with it nomatter how bad they actually are.

Most underated “weapon” is pavise shield. Even tho they nerfed it last patch, and even tho it’s still buggy and often breaks for no reason, I believe using it with fantasy can achieve suprising results.

• @Escadin:

Most overrated weapon for me is halberd. At least, 50% off all pub vanguards use it and they do well with it nomatter how bad they actually are.

If I had to guess what weapon a high ranking player was using I think I’d have the best chance of being correct by guessing halberd. So I don’t really feel its just the noobs doing it because its an overrated weapon.

• @BGrey:

@Escadin:

If I had to guess what weapon a high ranking player was using I think I’d have the best chance of being correct by guessing halberd. So I don’t really feel its just the noobs doing it because its an overrated weapon.

The high ranked vanguards I know use zweihander ^^

• i prefer the claymore, lvl 35 van/jav

• @lileasy1515:

i prefer the claymore, lvl 35 van/jav

Either way the sword types don’t have that lame aura and seem to be overall the more skill requiring weapons (although I know it’s not fully that way). This is propably because spears are all about stabbing (mindlessly reaping the same move makes you feel like a slash spammer) and bardiche types overall seem to be too rewarding for even low efforts.

Just my opinion.

• The Grand Mace is definitely an underrated skull-cracking machine. Only have run into a few who know how to use it well.

• The warhammer is definitely the most overrated weapon in my mind. It’s a fantastic Knight counter, but I find it to be the worst onehander against non-Knight classes. Of course, you can run Warhammer + Falchion and have basically the perfect setup against any class, but that’s more an issue of Knights having access to MaA primaries as their secondaries.

The most underrated I would say is the Poleaxe. I hardly see anyone using it, likely because it’s in the same category as the double and bearded axe which are phenomenally bad weapons. It has decent range and exceptional speed and damage, and perhaps most importantly it has three very strong attacks - you have a quick, decent range poke for getting that extra bit of reach against vanguards or keeping opposing knights with shorter weapons at bay, the devastating overhead that takes out enemy knights in 2 shots to the body, and a relatively quick and powerful slash to hit evasive MaAs or get around the side of a shield.

• Most underrated I’d probably go with fists. I’ve gotten loads of kills with fists so they are good.

On a less serious note, I really think that the jav is underrated. Its melee stab is ridiculously fast with good range, it does massive damage if thrown (and if you’re by an ammo box you can spam them like they were arrows), you get a shield which GREATLY improves your ability to last if someone breaks through your front line until you can get help (or you can just melee the attacker like a savage too…), and last but not least: It is the only weapon that can dunk individuals. Get Dunk’d.

As for overrated: uhh… I’m not sure. Maybe the Zwei. Yes, it is slow as hell, but there are tricks to it that allow you to mix up your timing a crap ton. Great range. Great damage on all of its swings. A Double kill with one is referred to as a Blue Steel. A triple or above is a Magnum. Zoolander #1 weapon.

• I could easily come into this thread and rip the OP’s head off about calling the BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME overrated, but instead, I will contribute my thoughts…

Most underrated weapon imo is smoke pots. Just because they don’t damage doesn’t mean they can’t win games. Besides, they disrupt archers, and who doesn’t want to disrupt those jerks?

Most overrated weapon: Halberd. Why helicopter with anything else? It’s good, but not so good that I should go into a game and see every vanguard using it… (This happened before)

• I agree halberd is overrated, but I think it’s misunderstood. With most other weapons, you get strong relative speed, damage, reach, or flexibility with attack types - pick 3 (or 2, and one is extra good). The halberd seems to have all 4 to an extent, so it’s attractive to newer players and pretty easy to use. But I think an advanced VG can leverage more specialized weapons to greater effect (swords especially) which means the halberd isn’t all that great. Plus the animations can throw newer people off (e.g., combo overhead coming from below), which is a big advantage for the halberd versus others in the family like the bill that give time to read and parry.

Underrated? I’d say the fork - some people hate it, but for me the extra speed versus the spear makes all the difference. It might take an extra hit to bring down an enemy, but I contact more often than the spear - playing more defensively is key.

• I’ve seen some people do insane things with halberds. They seem to have so much damage and speed when in good hands.