Customization and unlocks

• In games like Battlefield 3 this is one of my favorite features. It’s also something that keeps my interest and makes leveling so much more of a goal and challenge. Asside from having fun actually playing.

I think it would be so much more fun if there were many more different types of weapons to choose from. I don’t really care thát much about the weapon stats, but creating you own, unique medieval knight would be something I’d get alot of satisfaction from. Not only weaponry, but also armor.
    I’ve noticed there’s something where you can unlock helmets, although I’m not sure if it actually works yet because I’ve never been able to change anything, but it would be fun to tweak every detail of my armor. Colors, horns, visor design, banner, coat of arms etc…

Perhaps also - like Battlefield 3 - some upgrades to weapons and shields that fit your specific playing style? For example in BF3 you can unlock scopes, magazine upgrades, barrel upgrades etc… perhaps in Chivalry you could upgrade handles, balance, weight, metal alloys, designs, speed, range etc. To your own liking.

• The only unlockable helmets right now are Veteran Helmets - you earn these by unlocking all of a class’ primary weapons. There will be more customization options in the future because it’s such a requested feature and TBS wants to deliver on things the community wants the most.

• Custom clan / cloak and flags would be cool:

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sotcloak01.png

Lots of MMO’s are doing this.

• I agree, I love the idea of cosmetic customization. As long as it’s not wonky like TF2 or something along those lines, I’m all for it.

The problem isn’t that the developers don’t want to do this, it’s that designing new armor and weapons requires a lot of effort, artwork, 3d modelers, and tons of stuff I’m not even aware of I’m sure. It takes time, but they do want to add a lot more so just have patience and you’ll get most of what you want.

• @dem0n:

In games like Battlefield 3 this is one of my favorite features. It’s also something that keeps my interest and makes leveling so much more of a goal and challenge. Asside from having fun actually playing.

I think it would be so much more fun if there were many more different types of weapons to choose from. I don’t really care thát much about the weapon stats, but creating you own, unique medieval knight would be something I’d get alot of satisfaction from. Not only weaponry, but also armor.
    I’ve noticed there’s something where you can unlock helmets, although I’m not sure if it actually works yet because I’ve never been able to change anything, but it would be fun to tweak every detail of my armor. Colors, horns, visor design, banner, coat of arms etc…

Perhaps also - like Battlefield 3 - some upgrades to weapons and shields that fit your specific playing style? For example in BF3 you can unlock scopes, magazine upgrades, barrel upgrades etc… perhaps in Chivalry you could upgrade handles, balance, weight, metal alloys, designs, speed, range etc. To your own liking.

Carrot on a stick items…Cosmetic customization yes but only for looks. This game is skill based only. I don’t want it ruined because of “perks”

• @UnknownXV:

I agree, I love the idea of cosmetic customization. As long as it’s not wonky like TF2 or something along those lines, I’m all for it.

The problem isn’t that the developers don’t want to do this, it’s that designing new armor and weapons requires a lot of effort, artwork, 3d modelers, and tons of stuff I’m not even aware of I’m sure. It takes time, but they do want to add a lot more so just have patience and you’ll get most of what you want.

Yeah a thing to consider is that the team is small and has few artists. There are several environment artists, but as far as I’m aware there’s only one 3d modeler and one animator.

So if they wanted to pump out as much customization content as a game like TF2 for example, they would need to hire more artists, and you’d probably end up paying for a lot of the customization options in order to financially justify hiring more artists just to make cosmetics.

• Yesh, and here I thought they had at least two or three modelers. Knowing that, must be a pain if your suddenly asked to do a whole new nation. Not sure about maps though.

Makes me wonder if we will get “Make a Map” contests. Winner gets a free helm. Slap a little star on his helmet.

• @SlyGoat:

@UnknownXV:

I agree, I love the idea of cosmetic customization. As long as it’s not wonky like TF2 or something along those lines, I’m all for it.

Yeah a thing to consider is that the team is small and has few artists. There are several environment artists, but as far as I’m aware there’s only one 3d modeler and one animator.

So if they wanted to pump out as much customization content as a game like TF2 for example, they would need to hire more artists, and you’d probably end up paying for a lot of the customization options in order to financially justify hiring more artists just to make cosmetics.

Which is why I was saying that while I truly admire that they don’t want to release content that you pay for, I’d definitely support it if they ended up doing so for cosmetic stuff (not maps or modes). It takes a lot to make good quality cosmetic items, so I don’t mind paying a few bucks for it. It’s fun.

I really want capes…

• That is great to hear that Torn Banner is working on character customization. I just hope that players aren’t allowed to get too crazy with their color schemes when it comes to team based games. We still need to be able to tell if a player is Agatha or Mason. In Free for All, I wouldn’t mind if people were able to get a little more creative though.

I agree that capes would be awesome!

• I can’t say I’d care much for customization. We’ve already got a helmet system in place, and as long as nothing terribly silly comes about I’m fine with more of those, but I’d rather see modellers spending their time on new weapons and map props than entirely new accessories and armor pieces.

That’s just me, of course.

• They should add temporary hats. Like for a week to a month, people can wear a Santa hat to battle. For a day, a birthday hat. Nothing like singling out the B-day boy. With server permission of course.

• Golden weapons for getting 1000 kills with it or something? I could get a golden maul!!! :D

• How about a cape unlocked when you have all weapons unlocked, primary and secondary, for every class, and hit rank 40?

Something that would genuinely take a while so it would be fairly rare to see.

• @UnknownXV:

How about a cape unlocked when you have all weapons unlocked, primary and secondary, for every class, and hit rank 40?

Something that would genuinely take a while so it would be fairly rare to see.

As of now, I would just need like 10 ranks for that. I don’t really “no life” this game, either. Not that hard imo, but I agree a hard-to-achieve prize would be nice.

• I’ve only seen maybe 3-4 people who are rank 40 currently, and of course this will increase, so maybe make it rank 50 instead, but something that really shows that the player has been at it for a while, that’d be cool.

Maybe after a certain number of kills with a weapon, there could be a slight glow emanating from it? Not sure if that pushes the “wacky” too far but it could be cool.

• Hrm, I did notice the veteran’s helmets are similar, but at the same time completely different. Like the knight veteran helm for knight is a full med helm with the face showing. The Agatha one, is light grey steel with a gold trim around the face opening. The Mason one, on the other hand, is a blackish grey helmet with horns.

• I’m not even going to agree to the idea of temporary hats if you mean where you have to pay for them and they only last a certain time. I will not have this great game be ruined like MicroVolts and so many other games.

• +1

• I absolutely agree with the idea of customization. This is a point that I missed in several MMOs where at a certain point every player looked the same because they all had the same equipment. The question is only how to best implement this feature into the game.
    It wouldn’t make much sense to allow the player to customize (or exchange) every single piece of his armors and weapons (plus it would be way too much work for the team to add this feature). Choosing different colours is totally doable and in my opinion important for customization. Yet the choice of colours should be somewhat limited to avoid exploits (like designing your Mason knight to look like an Agatha knight to confuse the enemy). An additional and great feature would be to allow the player to design his own banners which could be applied to shields and/or the chest piece of the armor. Banners could consist of the following configurable pieces:
    1. Shape (simple ones like a circle, an ellipse etc. or more complex ones like a shield, a torn banner (see what I did there?) etc.)
    **2. Shape colour

3. Logo** (the most important part of the banner, could be almost everything; different animals, weapons, symbols and tribals, armor pieces etc. etc.)
    4. Logo colour
    Shapes of banners, logos and maybe even special colours could be unlockable through special achievements. An even greater variety of banners could be made possible through the option to upload your own designed banner, but I’m afraid that many players would upload images which ruin the authenticity (I wouldn’t really want to fight a vanguard with a smiling rainbow-duck that shoots burning strawberries on his chest). So that seems not to be an option.
    As I mentioned above it wouldn’t make much sense to be able to change every piece of armor and weapon, in the worst case you could have the possibility to customize your character in a way where no-one could tell which class you play. But it would be more than awesome to have a choice between some different parts. There could be some standard parts to choose from in the beginning and more which can be unlocked (also through special achievements). I just like the idea of looking customized enough that other players can recognize you (at least within a match).

Implementing customization is not an easy thing to do but it can add a lot of fun to the game. So… these are my 2 cents. :)