Can't see servers on browser + UDK.exe won't close on exit

• Been lurking the forums hoping to find a solution on other people’s threads but it appears that my problem is a bit different from the others.

For the past 3 weeks (a bit before the patch), I have not been able to see servers listed on the browser. It did not disturb me as much in the meantime I had been playing by joining my friends through steam “Join game” and by connecting manually through the “open” command to the vanquish servers graciously posted.

What I’ve done so far:
    I’ve tried all the previously given solutions such as a) deleting/replacing MasterServer2 file b) validating install / reinstalling the game c) opting into both the chivalry and steam betas d) changing server filters and ensuring game speed is at 100% e) stopping firewalls and exiting peerblock.

The only thing that I thought it could have been was networking issues, as I was able to see servers on another computer I installed the game on which had the same programs as the one I’m currently using.

Notes:
    -Curiously enough though, I am not able to join any of the servers through the ips listed on the game-monitors website.

-May be a coincidence, but I noticed my game started to never quit correctly around the same time I haven’t been able to see servers in the browser. I would have to force close UDK.exe through the task manager no matter if I click the “exit” icon or by using the quit command in console.

+I’ve also noticed that the game usually exits correctly after I play a game through joining another friend’s through steam.

-My laptop has a Nvidia 670M but has optimus and had to set it to use my 670M manually through the nvidia console due to chivalry opening with the Integrated card.

Also attached is my launch.log. Looking through it seems to me like it succeeds in finding a few servers, but suddenly stops. Hoping it would still help even though i had to force quit.

Oh! I’ve also noticed a lot of backup logs and dmp files in the log folder as well. Most of them start with unreal-v10246-date-numbers.

Hoping to get to the bottom of this as I really love this game,
    -Burnit

• Hi Burnit,

Thanks for posting, let’s see if we can help. A lot of people are having a similar issue and we haven’t quite narrowed it down. We would appreciate it greatly if you don’t mind trying out a few different suggestions as we research into it.

@Burnit:

The only thing that I thought it could have been was networking issues, as I was able to see servers on another computer I installed the game on which had the same programs as the one I’m currently using.

If another computer on the network can see the servers, that definitely means that it is confined to your one computer (checking off problems with router/modem).

Here’s some things to investigate:

1. Are your network drivers up to date?
    2. Can you try running the UDK.exe as admin? Check Chivalry.
    3. Can you try running Steam as admin? Check Chivalry.

If those don’t work, what software firewall are you using (Peerblock?)?

Are you connected to a “home”, “work”, or “public” network according to Windows?

Would you please attach a screenshot of your Windows Advanced Firewall showing Chivalry as so:

[attachment=1:1exfl17f]Windows Firewall.jpg[/attachment:1exfl17f]

Would you also please attach a screenshot of your Windows Firewall allowed programs showing Chivalry as so:

[attachment=0:1exfl17f]networking.jpg[/attachment:1exfl17f]

Also, try deleting Chivalry from that list and re-running the game (it should popup the dialog asking you to allow Chivalry through public and/or private networks). Please choose both. If this dialog does not pop back up, please manually add it back to the list and make sure both boxes are checked.

@Burnit:

-Curiously enough though, I am not able to join any of the servers through the ips listed on the game-monitors website.

Those IPs won’t work at all because they are displaying the wrong port number on that website. They are displaying the port number that you would use to query the server to get its information which is different from the game port which you would use to actually connect to play on. In the meantime, try the links on the Official Server list: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7082. The links work with Chrome and IE, but not Firefox (yet).

@Burnit:

-May be a coincidence, but I noticed my game started to never quit correctly around the same time I haven’t been able to see servers in the browser. I would have to force close UDK.exe through the task manager no matter if I click the “exit” icon or by using the quit command in console.

+I’ve also noticed that the game usually exits correctly after I play a game through joining another friend’s through steam.

Not sure what to say here. Never heard of that one.

@Burnit:

Oh! I’ve also noticed a lot of backup logs and dmp files in the log folder as well. Most of them start with unreal-v10246-date-numbers.

The current log is saved as a backup log whenever you start the game and is rewritten with all new information. The crash .dmp files are from every time you get an UDK.exe has stopped working crash.

• Thanks for the detailed response ReMixx!

@ReMixx:

If another computer on the network can see the servers, that definitely means that it is confined to your one computer (checking off problems with router/modem).

Here’s some things to investigate:

1. Are your network drivers up to date? Doubled checked and yes
    2. Can you try running the UDK.exe as admin? Check Chivalry. Attempted and no change
    3. Can you try running Steam as admin? Check Chivalry. Attempted and no change.

Relying on Windows Firewall and Peerblock atm. Disabling it and exiting it did not work.
    Are you connected to a “home”, “work”, or “public” network according to Windows?
    Home

Would you please attach a screenshot of your Windows Advanced Firewall showing Chivalry as so:
    Done!

Would you also please attach a screenshot of your Windows Firewall allowed programs showing Chivalry as so:
    Done!

Also, try deleting Chivalry from that list and re-running the game (it should popup the dialog asking you to allow Chivalry through public and/or private networks). Please choose both. If this dialog does not pop back up, please manually add it back to the list and make sure both boxes are checked.
    Tried this with the “Chivalry Medieval Warfare” one. Have not tried messing with the UDK and UDKgame ones.

In the meantime, try the links on the Official Server list: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7082. The links work with Chrome and IE, but not Firefox (yet).
    Thanks for the list! They work like a charm!

Not sure what to say here. Never heard of that one.
    Unfortunate, but I suppose short of a complete windows wipe, I’ll just be on the lookout for more information in the meantime. Not sure if paranoid, but I had to “end process” steam as well last time I tried exiting steam which is the same issue I’ve faced with the chivalry itself

I noticed that I had some extra exceptions for multiple “chivalry medieval warfare” in addition to ones for UDK and UDKgame. Would these just be redundant? Or could they actively cause an issue with the servers going missing?

• I, too am having this problem regarding not being able to see servers and UDK.exe not shutting down short of logging off or rebooting. I can resolve the server issues by disabling ESET Smart Security 5’s personal firewall (I have UDK.exe whitelisted in the firewall, I don’t know why it doesn’t work, it worked fine until a couple days ago) but I emailed ESET about that just now and hopefully they will get ahold of y’all as I asked them to to iron out the problem their software has with yours. I’m merely posting in this thread because I’m having identical issues and as such the OP isn’t the only one suffering from this issue. I love your game, and I hope you come out with many more with which to take my money!

Oof, I forgot this part:

I flat out can’t close UDK.exe. I can exit out of it from within the game, I can right click and close it, but it’ll still be there taking up ~500MB (inconsequential compared to 24GB available) of RAM and no amount of ending it’s process in Task Manager is getting the job done. It’s still there.

• Thanks for answering and your cooperation :)

@Burnit:

Thanks for the detailed response ReMixx!

Relying on Windows Firewall and Peerblock atm. Disabling it and exiting it did not work.

Do you mind trying to completely uninstall Peerblock and see if that has any change on it? I don’t know how difficult that it is to uninstall/reinstall it. It’s just best to work with the least amount of variables as possible!

@Burnit:

Tried this with the “Chivalry Medieval Warfare” one. Have not tried messing with the UDK and UDKgame ones.

I noticed that I had some extra exceptions for multiple “chivalry medieval warfare” in addition to ones for UDK and UDKgame. Would these just be redundant? Or could they actively cause an issue with the servers going missing?

I see that you have Chivalry dedicated server installed? Is that true?

Hmmm it would be worthwhile to try deleting everything related to Chivalry/UDK/UDKGame from both places (Windows Advanced Firewall and the Firewall -> Allowed Programs windows) and re-run chivalry. If they don’t reappear in either location, add them back manually. Don’t forget both TCP and UDP on all ports! :)

Once we get to this part and it still doesn’t work, let’s turn on Windows Firewall Logging and see if it is responsible for dropped packets (you can do this step before the previous I suppose :) ).

Open the Advanced Firewall page, click Properties from the right panel, select the private tab from the new popup (since you are on a “home” network to Windows), click the Customize button in the logging section, then change the two logging options to yes in the third popup (see picture). Then I’d suggest rebooting Windows and going right into Steam/Chivalry and sit on the server browser again for 5ish minutes so that we can get lots of data. Then exit the game and attach the logs here. Then turn off logging after because that’s just a teeny bit of extra overhead on your system that you won’t need ;)

[attachment=0:3pewgyrg]logging.jpg[/attachment:3pewgyrg]

@throwedpeople:

I, too am having this problem regarding not being able to see servers and UDK.exe not shutting down short of logging off or rebooting. I can resolve the server issues by disabling ESET Smart Security 5’s personal firewall (I have UDK.exe whitelisted in the firewall, I don’t know why it doesn’t work, it worked fine until a couple days ago) but I emailed ESET about that just now and hopefully they will get ahold of y’all as I asked them to to iron out the problem their software has with yours. I’m merely posting in this thread because I’m having identical issues and as such the OP isn’t the only one suffering from this issue. I love your game, and I hope you come out with many more with which to take my money!

Oof, I forgot this part:

I flat out can’t close UDK.exe. I can exit out of it from within the game, I can right click and close it, but it’ll still be there taking up ~500MB (inconsequential compared to 24GB available) of RAM and no amount of ending it’s process in Task Manager is getting the job done. It’s still there.

Try whitelisting the UDKGame.exe too. I don’t know why it’s not closing for you :(

Edit:
    Can both of you please try this suggestion?

@Chand:

Alright, I fixed the problem.
    It’s not a game problem, I had the same issue with War of the Roses and some other games. Here’s how you fix it on windows 7.

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a new connection or network -> Connect to the Internet -> Select do it anyway or something like this -> Select Private.

Enjoy, now the game works.
    Apparently the problem is related to your computer LAN card drivers and/or your modem. Opening a new connection to the modem should help. Try it out…

Also, when you set the new connection DON’T have it as a network, have it private.
    Let me know if it fixed the problem for you too-

Edit 2:
    If the suggestion in Edit 1 doesn’t work, try switching your network from home to work (try Chiv), to public (try Chiv), and then back to home (try Chiv). Doesn’t hurt to try…. Gotta try 'em all! :)

• I just wanted to poke my head in as well as I’m having the same problems as the OP and have tried all of the attempted fixes listed here and everywhere else on the forums with no resolution.

I’m not sure if it matters but I also have the Nvidia 670m and had to manually change the settings to only use that card as the game would try to use my integrated graphics by default. I cannot cleanly close the game either and always have to kill it with the task manager as well. I’ve never been able to see the server list and know it cant be network related as I’ve had friends over to play before and they are able to see the server listings at my home just as well as they can at theirs.

I havent got the slightest as to why its not working. I’ve completly disabled any firewalls on my computer for the time being as well. Anyway I hope a fix can be discovered soon. It is pretty frusterating not being able to use the in game browser to find a game and instead being stuck using a web browser in order to join games.

• @bmiller078:

I just wanted to poke my head in as well as I’m having the same problems as the OP and have tried all of the attempted fixes listed here and everywhere else on the forums with no resolution.

I’m not sure if it matters but I also have the Nvidia 670m and had to manually change the settings to only use that card as the game would try to use my integrated graphics by default. I cannot cleanly close the game either and always have to kill it with the task manager as well. I’ve never been able to see the server list and know it cant be network related as I’ve had friends over to play before and they are able to see the server listings at my home just as well as they can at theirs.

I havent got the slightest as to why its not working. I’ve completly disabled any firewalls on my computer for the time being as well. Anyway I hope a fix can be discovered soon. It is pretty frusterating not being able to use the in game browser to find a game and instead being stuck using a web browser in order to join games.

Have you tried turning on your Windows Firewall log? I’m curious to know if it will own up to being naughty… I haven’t seen a firewall log yet from people with this problem :(

• @ReMixx:

Have you tried turning on your Windows Firewall log? I’m curious to know if it will own up to being naughty… I haven’t seen a firewall log yet from people with this problem :(

Well I gave it a shot. This should be the right file. Hope this reveals something.

• @bmiller078:

@ReMixx:

Well I gave it a shot. This should be the right file. Hope this reveals something.

Can you connect manually to servers? I thought this was the OP’s post so I’m all confused. (Darn thread hijackers!)