Kicking with a Bow or Crossbow (why not?)

• Well, hello everyone.

I’m a great fan of this game, actually I play it every day, unlooked all weapons and now I’m at lvl 37.
    I already played other melee fight games and to be honest this kind of game is my favorite

Getting to the topic… I was playing with the archer and I noticed that is very problematic to change to the melee weapon when an enemy approaches. When the strike comes you try to change to the melee weapon as fast as you can but the defence ‘‘bugs’’ and you take the hit. On this time I thought… Why can’t I kick my opponent with the bow in hand and just after this change my weapon?

Well this is my ideia: Allow the kick to be used with the bow or crossbow in hand.

thanks for reading guys.

(sorry for my bad english. I’m from Brazil)

• I guess to prevent exploits like, kick-> shoot arrow-> kick-> shoot arrow…
    Maybe I am completely wrong and it was just not implemented yet.

• @Metrocop:

I guess to prevent exploits like, kick-> shoot arrow-> kick-> shoot arrow…

the recharging time of a bow or crossbow is really slow to do that. you would had time only to change weapon and defend the next move or run.

So far, I don’t see why a healthy and normal human wouldn’t have the ability to kick with a 1kg bow in hand.

• @Metrocop:

This wouldn’t be possible; even with the shortbow the draw time is too long to get a shot off before the enemy can get back in range.

As for why not? Because it would give the archer too much close-range safety. You would need to nerf the archer to compensate or it would become Too Good.

Vulnerability in melee is one thing that balances the class. Firing when being charged his a high risk high reward maneuver. Taking away the risk wouldn’t do anything positive for the game.

I don’t want bows to do less damage, or arrows to fly slower just so I can kick with it out.

It’s not about realism. The game isn’t designed for that anyways. There are balance implications that need to be considered. Of course a real person can kick with a bow out; that doesn’t mean it’s healthy for the game to enable that.

• Even if what I said is not viable, if you kick the enemy and he fails the next strike you have a little chance to shoot an arrow, which is not fair.

• By doing this you’re giving an archer the ability to shoot an arrow point-blank. And it’s a free hit, even if you are using a shield you cannot raise it because you’re suffering from the brief post-kick stun. That’d just be way overpowered, especially for the heavier ranged weapons (Warbow, Heavy crossbow)

EDIT: Unless you mean you cannot kick when you have loaded an arrow on your bow, but you can when there’s no arrow loaded. In that case it’d be only OP for crossbows.

• but the kick don’t make you invulnerable to melee attacks… even if you kick an incoming opponent if he is already swinging his weapon you take the damage.

Why say it’s not about realism? Chivalry is very realistic and don’t be able to kick with a bow is a very negative point to this topic.

• There has been a previous post relating to this topic of kicking with projectiles/bows.
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5879

@Metrocop:

That’s exactly why kicking with throwables and bows is not allowed.

• @BerserkerSan:

but the kick don’t make you invulnerable to melee attacks… even if you kick an incoming opponent if he is already swinging his weapon you take the damage.

Why say it’s not about realism? Chivalry is very realistic and don’t be able to kick with a bow is a very negative point to this topic.

It doesn’t make you invulnerable, it just adds unnecessary power to the archer. It’s not even about being able to shoot in melee range, it just makes the archer too safe in melee combat, which should be his prime weakness.

Because realism isn’t the focus of Chivalry. Yes, it’s mostly a realistic game, but realism doesn’t govern design decisions in the game. Of course it’s a negative point to the topic; I’m against it, again, because it has balance implications that would harm the game.

Unless you can convince me 1) Kick won’t add unnecessary power or 2) There’s a good reason to give the archer a kick and nerf them somewhere else, then I can’t be convinced this is a good idea.

I believe the archer is well balanced right now. I haven’t seen a good counterpoint to that.

• @NikolaiLev:

@BerserkerSan:

but the kick don’t make you invulnerable to melee attacks… even if you kick an incoming opponent if he is already swinging his weapon you take the damage.

It doesn’t make you invulnerable, it just adds unnecessary power to the archer. It’s not even about being able to shoot in melee range, it just makes the archer too safe in melee combat, which should be his prime weakness.

Because realism isn’t the focus of Chivalry. Yes, it’s mostly a realistic game, but realism doesn’t govern design decisions in the game. Of course it’s a negative point to the topic; I’m against it, again, because it has balance implications that would harm the game.

Unless you can convince me 1) Kick won’t add unnecessary power or 2) There’s a good reason to give the archer a kick and nerf them somewhere else, then I can’t be convinced this is a good idea.

I believe the archer is well balanced right now. I haven’t seen a good counterpoint to that.

1. No, the kick won’t add unnecessary power. Why? Cuz the kick don’t make you invulnerable. I don’t know if you noticed it yet but the game has the mechanics of simultaneous blows. 2 Peoples can hit each other at same time if the timing is perfect. So far, if your opponent have good timing, kicking is useless.

2. YES, There is a good reason: To differentiate between good and bad players. Why? Cuz don’t matter how good you are, any noob can kill an archer with one or two blows if they hit you from behind OR if changing weapons BUGS your defence and you can do nothing. BUT good players can easily note an enemy coming from behind but can do nothing about your defence isn’t able to be used in time even your weapon being already in your hand.

claim that this would make the archer OP just seems to me a lack of skill, no offence.

• @BerserkerSan:

1. No, the kick won’t add unnecessary power. Why? Cuz the kick don’t make you invulnerable. I don’t know if you noticed it yet but the game has the mechanics of simultaneous blows. 2 Peoples can hit each other at same time if the timing is perfect. So far, if your opponent have good timing, kicking is useless.

2. YES, There is a good reason: To differentiate between good and bad players. Why? Cuz don’t matter how good you are, any noob can kill an archer with one or two blows if they hit you from behind OR if changing weapons BUGS your defence and you can do nothing. BUT good players can easily note an enemy coming from behind but can do nothing about your defence isn’t able to be used in time even your weapon being already in your hand.

claim that this would make the archer OP just seems to me a lack of skill, no offence.

The mere fact kicking doesn’t make you invulnerable doesn’t change the fact that it does give the archer a little more power. What if the vanguard wasn’t able to kick with his two-handed weapons? Surely you could agree that would be a removal of power, and knights with 2hs would have a clear advantage for it. And if kicking is useless, then why bother adding it?

Arguably, you’re a bad player if you don’t have the situational awareness to see an enemy coming anyway. Good players can do something about defense, because they can just switch to their secondary weapon, which really doesn’t take terribly long. If they can’t because of a bug, then that’s a problem with a bug, and needs to be fixed.

You should realize that there are degrees of overpoweredness. Giving the archer kicking with a ranged weapon wouldn’t make him terribly broken, but as I believe the archer is balanced now, it would make him slightly out of place. No offense, but I’m not convinced.

• this annoys me also

• @NikolaiLev:

The mere fact kicking doesn’t make you invulnerable doesn’t change the fact that it does give the archer a little more power. What if the vanguard wasn’t able to kick with his two-handed weapons? Surely you could agree that would be a removal of power, and knights with 2hs would have a clear advantage for it. ¹And if kicking is useless, then why bother adding it?

Arguably, you’re a bad player if you don’t have the situational awareness to see an enemy coming anyway. Good players can do something about defense, because they ²can just switch to their secondary weapon, which really doesn’t take terribly long. If they can’t because of a bug, then that’s a problem with a bug, and needs to be fixed.

You should realize that there are degrees of overpoweredness. Giving the archer kicking with a ranged weapon wouldn’t make him terribly broken, but as ³I believe the archer is balanced now, it would make him slightly out of place. No offense, but I’m not convinced.

1- I don’t said is useless. It is if your opponent have good timing.
    2- You can’t just switch when you are being attacked.
    3- I don’t belive the archer is balanced. A noob with a vanguard can easily do a best score than a veteran archer, and it can be proven just watching any random match.