Morale system

• A morale system would be amazing for this game. I do not think that it should be implemented fully into every game mode or server that you play, just an option for servers to turn on/off OR even a mod. It’s especially great for this game as it is based on team play and there can be huge battles with players shoulder to shoulder in melee combat and the effect would be on a massive scale.

It could be stylised like the stamina and health bars. So there would be 3 bars at the bottom of the screen. And I don’t know about you, but 3 bars looks much better than 2 (I think).

What happens if your morale is lower or depleted?
    Just like stamina, there is no effect if your morale bar is low. The effects only come in when the bar is completely depleted. You can freeze in shock, stop sprinting or stop moving suddenly. Your attacks are slightly weaker and sometimes your attacks will not carry through.

What affects morale?
    •Witnessing/situated in close proximity of an ally death (e.g. you’re charging at enemies with multiple team mates and one of them gets shot in the head right in front of you)
    •Projectile suppression (e.g. a barrage of arrows are flying over you or just missing your shoulders)
    •Personal activity (e.g. Campers and people that fall back will be punished)
    •Team movement (e.g. If you’re grouped together or just moving forward with team mates, you get a huge morale boost)
    •Kill combo (e.g. If you kill multiple enemies in one life, your morale is significantly boosted in upcoming rounds and there is less chance to lose morale in those upcoming rounds)
    •Team killing* (e.g. The game recognises that you have killed a team mate and punishes you by severely decreasing your morale permanently)

I do not think that it should be implemented fully into every game mode or server that you play, just an option for servers to turn on/off OR even a mod.

*A solution to the teamkilling dilemma perhaps?

• Yes, quite an… cough interesting cough idea, Matti… I’m sure Torn Banner would love to implement a morale system into their game…

• this is a very good idea tbh. well done Matti sire.
    Its this kind of attitude that has become second nature tbh.

Other players simply destroying ideas that should really be looked at by developers and they should actually answer some on the boards. This chap has taken the time and effort to post this idea simply to have another member respond in such a crass fashion.
    Also its a person from the same country ?

I have seen 100’s of ideas and the Developers responses number how many? less then 5?
    These idea suggesters are people that brought your game don’t you think you at least should respond
    to at least 5 ideas out of 25?. Well done Matti for having suggested this. Morale system. Which this community lacks imo.
    imo its time the developers stepped up on the boards and showed some interest in ideas posted from the community/players who purchased this game. suffer not the ridicule of members of equality. ;)

• @loin:

this is a very good idea tbh. well done Matti sire.
    Its this kind of attitude that has become second nature tbh.

Other players simply destroying ideas that should really be looked at by developers and they should actually answer some on the boards. This chap has taken the time and effort to post this idea simply to have another member respond in such a crass fashion.
    Also its a person from the same country ?

I have seen 100’s of ideas and the Developers responses number how many? less then 5?
    These idea suggesters are people that brought your game don’t you think you at least should respond
    to at least 5 ideas out of 25?. Well done Matti for having suggested this. Morale system. Which this community lacks imo.
    imo its time the developers stepped up on the boards and showed some interest in ideas posted from the community/players who purchased this game. suffer not the ridicule of members of equality. ;)

Thank you loin. All game developers should interact and spend time with their community way more than they think they should. There are major benefits with this that can lead you to create better games in the future. Receiving ideas and feedback from the community can open areas of innovation to the developer. Something that they had never thought of would come to light. They can take an idea and place it directly into the game, merge it with another idea or add on a few more features.

A better community means a better game. Would you play a game where everyone swears at you when you kill them or a game where the victim actually compliments you with “Good fight” or “Nice kill”? It’s always fun to take the head off of an obnoxious player. The Chivalry developers have done a great job with the game and they do take community suggestions into consideration. Well done. :jlaff:

• The only morale that should be affected is yours in REAL LIFE not the game.

• Might be fun, if it wasnt imposed on a current game type, and limited to a new game type, if properly implemented.

• I would certainly not want this on any server I play on. Your real-life morale is affected yet affects people differently. Making a standardize affect on morale ingame only makes th realitive affect of morale standardize around a negative feeling as your character is always adversely affect. As if the winning side needs more perks other than winning.

Talk about making a new way to troll games… (tk and suicide messing up other players beyond the current brand).

• Feel free to make it as a mod, but you should probably not expect it to make it to Official Servers. Those will probably stay vanilla everything.

• @Ving:

Might be fun, if it wasnt imposed on a current game type, and limited to a new game type, if properly implemented.

Yes. I prefer this idea over adding it to the WHOLE game like I said in the post.

• Good post. However i would not support this. Why? Because currently REAL morale works, and it’s awesomely (totally a real word) better than a synthetic one. Starting a charge to break enemy lines by charging and yelling is inspiring. Yelling at foes while charging and posturing makes some of them panic and act hastily (Have actually caused a group of three or four to turn tail and run). It is in these cases that individual player quirks and characters come out. Some stand their ground. Others charge you, still others turn and run. You learn to recognise players by playstyle. I think that’s great. You make nemeses and allies. I’ve had players charge me then stop when they realise I’m currently topping the killboard. I learn to be more careful around those I reognise as good players, too. It’s a good dynamic.

Tl;dr - I think that an artificial morale system belongs in a strategy game or rpg at best, not a simulation-type game like chivalry.

• I’d say simulating “morale” is one of those things that works well in some games (e.g., the Total War series) but not in games like Chivalry. In a game like this, you have an expectation of immersion and control of your avatar; artificial restraints on your actions can be jarring and will frustrate players rather than enhance the experience.

The dev for a game called Starfarer often says in his blog posts that game systems/features are killed early on often because they feel arbitrary to the player and conflict with their expectations. Without really substantial benefits (like, say, a “Sanity Meter” in an H.P. Lovecraft-themed game) it will REALLY REALLY suck in practice.

tl;dr The game makes medieval Rambo poop himself and go fetal because it decides YOU ARE SAD NOW. Rambo does not agree with this, nor does he enjoy the game more for it.

• No please. The last thing I want is to lose control of my character or whatever because my teammates happen to be terrible. Not to mention that it would be some sort of snow ball system that only benefits the team that is already winning.

• @RicHSAD:

sort of snow ball system

This is my main issue with this idea. If a game is balanced, morale will have no effect. If a team is crushing another team, it will take away what little opportunities of a comeback the bad team had.

Also, some matches that would be even and challenging can also snowball for one of the sides. For example, if one of the teams has better luck in the first engagement and defeats the enemy team, they will have a bigger chance to win the second, and in turn, the thrid, fourth, etc engagements. The other team will have a lower chance to come back into the game, just because the first engagement didnt go well.