Stereo 3D & Chivalry - how to improve the stereo experience

• Hello devs,

As I am done with outleveling all my classes ;) I finally got some time to take a deeper look into the potential Chivalry has with stereoscopic rendering, hereby 3D Vision on a Geforce GTX 460 in particular. I will report about flaws and problems in this post but also about the immersion it may deliver.

–-

Conclusion beforehand: I won’t play in 3D Vision as long as Chivalry still has the problems I list in the upcoming posts. The bugs are too annoying atm.

1) General Impressionviewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61128

2) Performanceviewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61131

3) The Bad #1 (Shadows)viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61133

4) The Bad #2 (Water)viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61135

5) The Bad #3 (Sunshafts)viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61137

6) The Bad #4 (SFX, Markers, Crosshair, Corners, Decals)viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7217#p61146

• Chivalry’s actually pretty good in 3d - the only problem is that the performance is a little bit bad (because the game runs moderately badly in general) but hopefully in the near future they should fix that

I don’t think there were actually any particular problems i noticed. Being able to turn off the crosshair is very nice

• @20k:

Chivalry’s actually pretty good in 3d - the only problem is that the performance is a little bit bad (because the game runs moderately badly in general) but hopefully in the near future they should fix that

Performance is kind of OK for me so far, the usual stereoscopic “issue” ;)

I don’t think there were actually any particular problems i noticed. Being able to turn off the crosshair is very nice

Oh boy, wait for it …

• In general, Chivalry could be a great 3D Vision experience. It just adds that tiny bit of immersion that I miss most the time – but wow, what could Oculus Rift support add ;)

Conclusion beforehand: I won’t play in 3D Vision as long as Chivalry still has the problems I list in the upcoming posts. The bugs are too annoying atm.

All these screenshots are made in my usual 2D configuration (Detail Level Medium, Motion Blur off, all the rest maxed out) in spite of the Dynamic Shadows which are totally fucked up.
    Either cross your eyes or us stereoscopic viewers.

Nice depth. Usual SSOA shadow problem, but not stereoscopy-specific.

Close combat – awesome!

Feel the maul, MAA!

Naa, don’t defend in front of spikes ;)

Still OK: lowest details … works, but no great fun.

• The performance is OK, no major issues. The usual problem: you found the best settings for your system and want to enjoy them in stereo 3D? – Buy a PC that is twice as fast :D

My specs:
    Core 2 Quad @ 3,5 GHz
    6 Gigs of RAM
    Geforce GTX 460 @ 800/1000 MHz

In the lowest settings running around on an “Arena” FFA server for some minutes in the lowest details delivered

51,2 fps (maximum 59, minimum 44)

Everything maxed out in exept Motion Blur, Detail Level set to Medium and Dynamic Shadows turned off (totally fucked):

32,4 fps (maximum 40, minimum 24)

• The Bad #1 – Shadows

The most annoying thing and the thing I miss the most (on maps wihout water) are the dynamic shadows. They dance around and are obviously cast differently for both eys – ugh!

• The Bad #2 – Water

Easily beating the broken shadows an maps with water is the water shader, especially as it cannot be turned off. Absolutely fucked :D

• The Bad #3 – Sunshafts

Also very annoying and without the possibility to be turned off: the god-rays or sunshafts. They are rendered correctly for every eye seperately, but they don’t match for the stereoscopic whole.

• The Bad #4 – SFX, Markers, Crosshair, Corners, Decals

From slightly annoying to bad: other, minor problems (compared to the rest).

–-

Flames and torches displayed wrong.

–-

Missing polygons in the corner of the view.

Video! Only one eye was recorded but the problem still occurs. (only the first 5 seconds matter)
    [youtubehd:1j531oin]EKIIE_QMbLg[/youtubehd:1j531oin]

–-

The crosshair isn’t displayed in correct depth.

–-

Blood textures are displayed glitchy.

–-

Markers (HUD) ain’t rendered in correct depth.

• Just to clearify this: will any developer give any response to this thread?

• Is there any chance I could at least get a

“Bah, no one cares about this problem in particular, sorry mate. There are more important things.”

by anyone? I’ld hate to see no one care about my reports I frequently post in these forums.

• @MadManniMan:

Is there any chance I could at least get a

“Bah, no one cares about this problem in particular, sorry mate. There are more important things.”

by anyone? I’ld hate to see no one care about my reports I frequently post in these forums.

Aww that made me sad :<

I shall pass this along to a dev and see if they have anything to say about this matter for you.

• @Kimiko:

Aww that made me sad :<

Aww, I must be cute ^^

@Kimiko:

I shall pass this along to a dev and see if they have anything to say about this matter for you.

That would be great! :P A simple “Bah. Humbug!” would be enough.

• There has been no one of the devs reading this, yet, right? ;)

• I have an AMD card and while I can play other Unreal Engine 3 games in 3D (Batman for example) I just get an immediate udk.exe crash when trying to load Chivalry in 3D using the Iz3d solution.

I don’t suppose there’s a solution for AMD users given that other UE3 games work?

• I’ve used 3d Vision a couple of times during the Alpha, the objective markers always broke my eyes. :(

Anyways yes this has been referred to the developers, just be mindful that they are very busy working on new content and supporting the thousands of users we have, as well as having personal lives!

Thankyou for the comprehensive post though, I hope they fix these issues so I can play with it more often too. :)