Chivalry Clan League (Coming soon: In discussion)

• Hello all!

As far as I know of, Chivalry already has a league/table like tournament. My intention with the league which I hope to get off the ground is to open up more competition in the clan scene and really make the competitive scene thrive, but I also wish to keep the sense of enjoyment of playing the game.

I certainly hope we can get the league up and running for late winter/early spring 2013.

I’ll explain the structure of the league and it’s basic rules. I hope you guys are willing to discuss this too.

League Rules (Those with * I believe to be those which will need to be discussed carefully)

• There will be 2 Tiers to the league. Division A consisting of 6 Clans, Division B consisting of 8.

• The clan that finishes 1st of Division A will be crowned champions of the league.

• The clan that finishes 5th of Division A will have to compete in Division B play-offs (those who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Division B).

• The clan that finishes 6th is automatically relegated to Division B.

• The clan that finishes 1st of Division B will gain automatic promotion to Division A.

• Clans that finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th will compete with the clan that finished 5th in Division A in a play-off single elimination knock-out.

• *A Clans final position in a league is firstly determined by Points, followed by round difference, followed by rounds-for (won).

Match Rules (Those with * I believe to be those which will need to be discussed carefully)

• *The game type will be Last Team Standing, I.e: Battle.

• *Matches will be played over 1 map, both clans will play both Agatha and Mason Order.

• Scores are taken from the rounds won in the match. Clan with the highest score wins.

• The winning clan of a match will receive 3 points, the losing team 0.

• In the unlikely event of a draw, both clans will be rewarded with 1 point.

• *Team size is 7v7.

• *Class restrictions (for a 7v7); 2 Knights, 2 Vanguards, 4 MaA, 3 Archers.

• Matches must be played on a server which suits BOTH teams!

• Screenshots are required at the end of each half to prove scores.

• I was once considering creating a league type thing. Since I’m not going to, here is how I would have coded it (I’m a developer so I prefer automation). And hopefully some of these ideas might help!

Use the steamcommunity xml data to your benefit.

Registering a clan:

You generate a one time password (nonce) for the end user. You tell him to put this code in his group’s profile.
    Example: [12GK477SD]

User types in their group id (found by the following)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GROUP NAME

You then confirm the one time password by viewing their team profile from this link
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GROUP NAME/memberslistxml/?xml=1

You can also get the team name, picture, and member list from there.

The user is free to remove the one time password as their ownership of the team has now been confirmed.

Loop through the member list of the group and query the team’s members to automatically populate their roster:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/STEAM ID/?xml=1

• They select from that group a limited number of people. Up to the organizer if they want to limit the roster size of teams. I’ve seen it vary from league to league and game to game.

This provides a decent enough confirmation of actual teams/clans while maintaining automation.* wait for the developers to code up the functionality in game to “status” the current server in console (this means to show the current playerlist along with steam id’s). This is used to verify roster of opposing team.

• Instead of starting another league why not volunteer to help the one that’s already formed.

• @gB:

Instead of starting another league why not volunteer to help the one that’s already formed.

Indeed. It would be fun to do a gamemode other than LTS as well.

• http://www.esl.eu/eu/chivalry/

ull get that here in a few days

• This game desperately needs continuous league play, not intermittent tournaments.

@cptdno:

http://www.esl.eu/eu/chivalry/

It’s a shame this is only EU.

• @cptdno:

That’s just a simple single elimination.

I was going more along the lines of having cycles of round robin leagues. For example, Perhaps 3 cycles a year? Spring Cycle, Summer Cycle and Winter Cycle?

Having tonnes of knock outs can be fun… but gets boring, not very fun for those knocked out with in the first 2 rounds!

• @Stuboi:

I was going more along the lines of having cycles of round robin leagues.

…what are you waiting around for? Do it. Do it now. I think that would be amazing.

• Will probably edit the OP and make a interest+sign up page just to see the numbers. But I hope it is a fill out.

There are no continental restrictions, US and EU clans may join, so long as both sides can agree to play on appropriate servers at appropriate times.

• @Stuboi:

Will probably edit the OP and make a interest+sign up page just to see the numbers. But I hope it is a fill out.

There are no continental restrictions, US and EU clans may join, so long as both sides can agree to play on appropriate servers at appropriate times.

Need to disagree. You can’t match a EU team against a US-West team and expect them to agree on servers. Just make conferences.

Also, some copying from CAL rules wouldn’t be so bad. The opponents must agree on what server they will play. If they cannot agree, it defaults to the “home” team to provide the server.

• I do believe the Dark Age Gaming League, will actually be both league matches and tournaments. Unless I’m mistaken the first tournament was a test to see how the competition would go. So far it has been a success.

We don’t need six or seven half ass leagues. What we need is one unified league that we all participate in. We don’t need to fragment the community further.

www.darkagegaming.com

• @gB:

I do believe the Dark Age Gaming League, will actually be both league matches and tournaments. Unless I’m mistaken the first tournament was a test to see how the competition would go. So far it has been a success.

We don’t need six or seven half ass leagues. What we need is one unified league that we all participate in. We don’t need to fragment the community further.

http://www.darkagegaming.com

http://www.darkagegaming.com/forums/gen … -thread30/

Killakan : “When tournaments come up, you will be prompted to sign your team up on the forum. You must do this. Once you win points you will be put on the list.”

The tournament is entry to the league. I once believed they were two separate things as well. Apparently I was wrong.

If there is a league of continuous play that is open for anyone to join, my clan will be there. With so many people starting things up, there is no need for us to wait around to play a tournament in order to gain entry to a league.
    _
    edit: Killakan clarified everything for me. They are indeed two separate entities._

• Was thinking of those who can play on the east coast. Lets say I won’t restrict it to just EU, but majority of matches would be played EU time, 5-8 hours ahead of the US.

@gB:

I do believe the Dark Age Gaming League, will actually be both league matches and tournaments. Unless I’m mistaken the first tournament was a test to see how the competition would go. So far it has been a success.

http://www.darkagegaming.com

I strongly disagree with you needing a unified league. Having actually tried this in Mount and Blade Warband with 20+ teams, the amount of drop outs was huge, but many joined half way through and can really mess up the table and fixtures. 20+ teams, 20 weeks plus any postponements, the chances are you are fighting in what would seem a long endless league.

Of course, it works with 10 teams, it doesn’t drag out so much, but having a single unified league almost creates the division it’s self! You have those who do well, and those who don’t and will never stand a chance. If you have slightly smaller leagues with relegation drops, promotion games and survival in the league allows teams to set their own target. A single ladder only allows the mindset of one thing, to win.

Yes, of course that should be the mindset of competitive clans but you need to bare in mind that other clans are not as serious as some come across.

This is why spreading teams out across 2-3 leagues will be far more successful. Teams will eventually be playing those around them and having shorter term goals, whether it be claiming the championship or promotion will keep teams interested and eager to get the cycle under way.

It wouldn’t be splitting the community at all, it is simply competition and those who will do well will end up being at the top.

• @Stuboi:

@cptdno:

I was going more along the lines of having cycles of round robin leagues. For example, Perhaps 3 cycles a year? Spring Cycle, Summer Cycle and Winter Cycle?

Having tonnes of knock outs can be fun… but gets boring, not very fun for those knocked out with in the first 2 rounds!

http://www.esl.eu/eu/chivalry/5on5/opening/
    This is double elimination.

And seriously, these tons of leagues are just splitting the community.

@gB:

Instead of starting another league why not volunteer to help the one that’s already formed.

• It’s not splitting the community. Eu’s have their eu esl and north americans have www.darkagegaming.com

• @gB:

It’s not splitting the community. Eu’s have their eu esl and north americans have http://www.darkagegaming.com

Yep, if we keep it as simple as that you’re right. I just fear that we will have like 5 different leagues at one point.

• It’s all under the same “League” lets get that straight.

The reason for splitting it into 2 TABLES/DIVISIONS is so there are more shorter term goals, i.e: Promotion, avoiding relegation, etc…

It allows more games with teams around you, it doesn’t divide the community but instead orders it, it will increase competition.

Looked at the EU esl and there’s a single team who has signed up. Problem is this, you haven’t provided sufficient time for teams to apply, its elimination so it doesn’t really appeal to clans who know they aren’t in there to win it, (Yes you do get them!), and there is even a call out for a proper managed league system, JUST like the ENL and WNL from Mount and Blade: Warband which encouraged so many clans to get up and running and wanting to do well.

It’s not a bad thing having multiple tournaments as long as they are different.

• For starters you are really close in your original post to the right Idea. I would add that much like every sport league on the planet they have it set up with 3 basic league levels; Beginner - Intermediate - Professional. The winners of the beginner and intermediate automatically get moved up and the losers of Professional and intermediate get moved down for the next season.

Now Seasons for a league usually run 3 months in most sports. If you are only playing one night a week that is only 12 matches. That means that there can only be a max of 12 teams per league set up. Now here is where it gets interesting as far as setting up 3 levels of play per night along with the different types of play.

The upcoming darkages tournament league rules and the whole way the leagues are being run are just not the way to run a league. By making most of the scheduling to be set up by the clans and the whole challenging idea is sadly the worst way to run a league with no way of really knowing who is the best or anyway of ranking clans effectively and allowing only 3 days to respond is just silly and could be impossible to set up on the fly and the league could take forever, let alone how are you going to have referees available on the fly for matches?

The leagues should run like they run dart or pool leagues in a bar. Each league is played on a specific night for up too 3 months where the clans agree to sign up for the size type of play for that night. All the clans are then bracketed to play every clan at least once. This is done for points where you get 1 points for each round you win and an additional 3 points for winning the match if the style of game is LTS. A match is the best of 3 maps, the points are added up at the end of the league. The top 4-6 point winners are entered into the playoffs then you run that like a single day tournament.

Each game type would have a different night and slightly different scoring. Another example is for Team Objective nights, where the same map is played twice and teams switch sides. The team that get the furthest or the objectives done in the shortest time wins the map and gets 5 points for the win. In the case of a tie with a map win each then a tie breaker of LTS is played and you get 1 point for each round won and 3 if you win that map as well as the win for the night.

The advantages of this is that it is scheduled ahead of time and once it is laid out, that is how it is played. There are no make up matches because the teams signed up for that night. The teams can play even if they don’t have all their players or if they cannot make it that night, they forfeit. The nice thing about the point system is that a team can miss a night or two and still be in the running if they continue to win.

Examples:
    Mon nights 5v5 Last Team Standing League - 12 clan slots available, run for 12 weeks. League starts at 8pm CST. All Teams must be signed up for this night, are bracketed and scheduled to play the same maps that night. Points are awarded… The next week a different set of maps. At the end of 12 weeks there is a single day play off tournament against the top 4 teams. (rules and points awarded for this type of game play)

Tues night 5v5 Team Objective League - 12 clan slots available, run for 12 weeks. League starts at 8pm CST. All Teams must be signed up for this night, are bracketed and scheduled to play the same maps that night. Points are awarded… The next week a different set of maps. At the end of 12 weeks there is a single day play off tournament against the top 4 teams. (rules and points awarded for this type of game play)

Wend Night 10v10 Team Objective League - 12 clan slots available, run for 12 weeks. League starts at 8pm CST. All Teams must be signed up for this night, are bracketed and scheduled to play the same maps that night. Points are awarded… The next week a different set of maps. At the end of 12 weeks there is a single day play off tournament against the top 4 teams. (rules and points awarded for this type of game play)

Thur Night nights 10v10 Last Team Standing League - 12 clan slots available, run for 12 weeks. League starts at 8pm CST. All Teams must be signed up for this night, are bracketed and scheduled to play the same maps that night. Points are awarded… The next week a different set of maps. At the end of 12 weeks there is a single day play off tournament against the top 4 teams. (rules and points awarded for this type of game play)

Sunday Night 1v1 league - 50 player slots available, run for 12 weeks. League starts at 8pm CST. All players must be signed up for this night, are bracketed and scheduled to play 3 - 5 players that night, best 2 of 3. Points are awarded 1 point for every round won and 3 points for the over all win. The next week a different set players to fight. At the end of 12 weeks there is a single day play off tournament against the top 10 players. (rules and points awarded for this type of game play)

This is just an example. But this is how it should be set up and ran. This way it is easier to track, have one referee or director deal with each night to set up the brackets, tally scores, set up the finals.

If clans have enough players interested they can sigh up for multi tournaments on different nights so mon they are playing a 5v5 and wend they are playing a 10v10. If this is set up right with 3 levels of play, you could play every night of the week. You can also track if wringers are playing in the lower skill levels or not and have them removed. That is always an issue in the finals when I play in BB volleyball leagues that in the finals certain teams would bring in AA players that didnt play all season to win. So we can avoid this by only allowing a certain number of players and subs and that they cannot play in a class lower than their highest class they sign up for.

In conclusion, I just see no way to be apart of the Dark Ages league as it is just too unorganized, no real way of tracking anything and just makes no sense.

• Some good ideas there, but I’m a little confused. You go on to say to get matches arranged within 3 days will be difficult yet you come out with saying that each day of the week there should be a different tournament?

In order for there to be a good clan community, never mind a competitive one, there has to be some slack, a week is fair indeed and why stop the clans from agreeing to pick a date with in that week? There are weekly deadlines anyway. You could end up with clans who can’t play on weekends, yet matches HAVE to be played on weekends and kind of defeats the point of them even joining, resulting in a reduced number of participants.

I never intend this to be an “E-sport.” Why should it be? I want to create and manage it (with help) for fun, something to enjoy and that I can look forward to. NOT a league dedicated to those who have toilet seats as gaming chairs and unheated ready meals for breakfast.

It is a shame because the public game its self is big! Yet the clan scene is diddy in comparison. Yes, normally the clan scene is smaller that the public scene in any game, but it is a shame that people expect a clan scene to grow by simply going “oh I’ll set up a tournament” and then not care for it.

Yes, it does require long term commitment and the problem is that other people are not willing to input in what they feel a clan scene/tournament should be like.I get the feeling that those who have negatively replied feel that their tournament is “threatened” and are not willing to accept change.

• @Stuboi:

Looked at the EU esl and there’s a single team who has signed up. Problem is this, you haven’t provided sufficient time for teams to apply, its elimination so it doesn’t really appeal to clans who know they aren’t in there to win it, (Yes you do get them!), and there is even a call out for a proper managed league system, JUST like the ENL and WNL from Mount and Blade: Warband which encouraged so many clans to get up and running and wanting to do well.

You can still sign up and one week should be actually enough. If it’s not we will obviously not start the cup with one team. And it’s obviously elimination since it’s a cup, not a league. Every ESL section starts with a cup and later there come the ladders.