I hate playing Man at Arms.

• I like the class in theory. Sounds good with light armor, more movement, flurry of hits. But they seem to be a one trick pony. They’re alright at 1vs1 duels, but the buck stops right there. I’m a veteran with Vanguard, Knight, and Man at Arms (with great patience), but I can’t stand playing something that gets man handled every time the fight thickens to 2 or more. Not only are you in GREAT GREAT danger because of your opponent, but because your team mate will more than likely smack you for a good chunk of damage.

Why play Man at Arms at all?

• I mostly play Man-at-Arms and find their team contribution pretty much on par with the other classes in TO.

• As you say, man at arms excel at 1v1 (two high level equally skilled players, maa will usually win) so the trick is not to play them as you would a knight or vanguard. When things start to get hairy, run. Dodge out of the way. No one can catch you if you’re good, you control who you fight. Use that to your advantage and you’ll seldom ever die.

Always be mindful of your surroundings. I also recommend cranking up your FOV if you haven’t already. I play at 110 and I can’t imagine playing in a team fight with any less. Situational awareness is critical.

• I still hate when people say MaA only excels at 1v1. To me it is the best class in the game to win a 5+v1. The ability to quickly dance between players causing them to tk. Ability to ping pong quickly between multiple enemies is fantastic.

• @sharkh20:

I still hate when people say MaA only excels at 1v1. To me it is the best class in the game to win a 5+v1. The ability to quickly dance between players causing them to tk. Ability to ping pong quickly between multiple enemies is fantastic.

That’s if you have enough space to work with, otherwise, you’ll get surrounded and boxed in. This is where knowledge of the map architecture comes into play, but I generally agree with you. MAA and Vanguards are the best at dealing with multiple enemies at a single time.

The hardest part about playing MAA, especially if you’re coming from playing any of the other classes, is that you have to switch your mentality around. Enemies have to be engaged differently and you have to get good with that dodge. The dodge provides a second chance when you screw up and it’s invaluable if you know when to use it.

MAA takes the most time to master as an overall class, whereas the others are more weapon dependant. Once you start getting good with the speed and mobility, you can pretty much clean up with any weapon in his arsenal.

• @sharkh20:

I still hate when people say MaA only excels at 1v1. To me it is the best class in the game to win a 5+v1. The ability to quickly dance between players causing them to tk. Ability to ping pong quickly between multiple enemies is fantastic.

On paper you’d think so, but not really, because of the high stamina cost to constantly dodging and missing more often due to less reach.

A knight has longer reaching weapons and more resistance.

Although I am biased as I play knight almost always, I’m not quite as good with Maa. I think someone skilled with any class can take on multiple people, and Maa might be okay for it too but in a different way than I am used to.

• The key to MAA is pick your battles wisely. If you’re running into the fray with your sword held high and the C button pressed you’re doing it wrong. It can be very frustrating because there’s little room for error but it’s also very rewarding when you do well.

I try to be more of a supportive character by helping out my team mates with well timed overheads and stabs. If I see some stragglers off to the side then I’ll go after them if it will result in a 1v1 or even a 2v1 battle. Something I find that works well against multiple opponents is to dance around them causing them to hit each other, then take out the weakened ones first. Most people just LMB spam so it works well. Finally the MAA isn’t about a high K:D, but the quality of the kills, especially in objective games.

• All is about location. Learn that and the battlefild becomes a amusement park

• MAA is pretty fun, this one time I was squashed between 4 enemies and kept dodging in and out of them for a straight minute making them hit eachother. Still died though, but me and the lot had a good laugh about how long it took.

• @omg87:

but the buck stops right there.

You’re using that incorrectly, much like MAA.

• @T_Roy:

The key to MAA is pick your battles wisely. If you’re running into the fray with your sword held high and the C button pressed you’re doing it wrong. It can be very frustrating because there’s little room for error but it’s also very rewarding when you do well.

I try to be more of a supportive character by helping out my team mates with well timed overheads and stabs. If I see some stragglers off to the side then I’ll go after them if it will result in a 1v1 or even a 2v1 battle. Something I find that works well against multiple opponents is to dance around them causing them to hit each other, then take out the weakened ones first. Most people just LMB spam so it works well. Finally the MAA isn’t about a high K:D, but the quality of the kills, especially in objective games.

+1 … spot on!

• @T_Roy:

The key to MAA is pick your battles wisely. If you’re running into the fray with your sword held high and the C button pressed you’re doing it wrong. It can be very frustrating because there’s little room for error but it’s also very rewarding when you do well.

This doesn’t change the fact you will be incredibly niche and probably have a much larger affect on the battle as any other class in un-organized play. You will be killed by your allies as much as your enemies.

• I’m inclined to agree with the above.

Vanguards and Knights have significant advantages in reach (arguably the most important aspect) and durability, being able to go toe-to-toe and have a direct influence on the course of a battle. MAA has to be picky. With a smaller margin for error, MAAs require more finesse to play, which isn’t always conducive to a situation that requires more steel bodies. This isn’t to say that MAA is weak, but the player who plays MAA well can have a bigger impact with a sturdier class.

I’d only pick MAA if other classes were sufficiently covered. You need something to support before you pick a support class.

• I choose the MAA over vanguard and Knight anyday. In most games i always have been more of a agressive player and since MAA is fast and flexible it’s really my kind of class. Most of the time i am more of a sneaky bugger xD flanking alot and try to attack archers and others in the back :3. Not that it works all the time :(. To me the MAA is more of a smart and sneaky class. when i face Vanguards with polearms i let them stab or swing a few times then dodge into there face slash them 2 times then wait for his counter attack mostly after 2 hits i give them they do a counter attack i block it and kill him :P. for the knight it’s different, if using a shield i try to move alot to the back or dodge arround him and do overheads, if it’s using a 2 handed weapon then i slash a few times or use stabs and finish off with fist or overhead. I do think MAA is underrated xD.

• I think of the MAA like the bucanneer in PVK2. You have the ability to control who you fight since you are the fastest one around. Get out when things get to tense and swoop back in when you see opportunity.

• MAA is my favourite class by far. The dodge is awesome when you get good at it and suddenly the low reach, high speed MAA weapons start to become an advantage.