Funny weapons

• Hi guys, my first post here came to me after a friend’s suggestion, during our fight in the arena.
    So I, as an archer was able to block his two-hander sword using just a dagger, even more the second dagger, that is so small that actually looks like a surgical scalpel. So we started talking about it thinking “well that’s just silly”. But it’s not just with daggers, the whole 1 hander class gameplay is just not right.
    I really don’t know much about medieval battles, but I’d doubt a two hander strike could be blocked by any one hander, even more one as small as the daggers are.

So my suggestions are pretty much these.
    No block can be performed with a dagger at any given time against any weapon (well maybe only against other daggers). Just a passing though, bows could offer some protection though but with durability loss.
    The penalty for blocking a two hander with a one handed sword should be significally greater than the 1 or 2 seconds stun there is now. It should at least damage the defending player and maybe also cause one of these effects depending on the force : Stun for 5 seconds or more (brought to knees), fall over, lose of weapon, cut though block all together causing reduced damage.

I know that this is game changing stuff, and I’m pretty sure people will be furious having been used to the specific spam*ahem… gameplay, but it doesn’t feel real at all taking down a knight using a kitchen knife :D

I hope you guys keep supporting this great game, I personally have enjoyed it and will continue playing it, and I would like to see more content in the near future.

• Congratulations. You would kill off the already died MaA/Archers that decided to defend themselves with their 2ndary repertoire. As ridiculous as it is, it’s the only way an archer can stand a chance at melee range. This would force MaAs to only use their primaries (as if they had any reason to switch).

I originally thought this weapon was promoting the use of brooms, candy canes, and cheese on a stick weapons, which I’m totally for.

• It was not my intention to strike a nerve but I see I most certainly did.
    Tell me, have you watched any medieval battle scenes at all? Any Braveheart, Jan D’ark movies? Archers run away or DIE when knights are close to them, it’s that simple. Fighting off and killing a knight or a MAA for that matter is something belonging in the sphere of fiction, something for example from the Lord of the ring movies. Super elf Legolas stabbing 3 orcs in close quarters with one arrow :| . This game is a realistic FPS and in those games (and in all strategy games also) archers sit behind barricades or just really far away from the front lines and most certainly don’t have a place in the arena.
    The MAA on the other hand is quicker that the knight, it must use that speed to dodge hits, not block them. And if you’re thinking about reach then know that the spear weapon used by the vanguards is actually a front line infantry weapon, aka a MAA weapon. Vanguards have enough long range weapons already anyway!

… and I really don’t get the (which weapon?) reference about canes, and cheese??? what?

• The problem for realistic games is that they need to stabilise the balance and realism. If you had too much realism, one class would be OP and all other classes would be pathetic placeholders that sit on the battlefield pretending that they’re important.

If you block a heavy weapon with a dagger, you lose most of your stamina which makes it difficult for you to continue blocking. So the system is balanced and it shouldn’t be changed (even if blocking a maul with a small butter knife is unrealistic).
    @Joomicrongama3:

… and I really don’t get the (which weapon?) reference about canes, and cheese??? what?

He means the title. He thought the OP was going to suggest funny weapons such as candy canes, cheese on stick etc.

• Sickles for all those scythe lovers.

• Daggers should not be able to block a maul, we all know that.

So whats the solution to keep things balanced yet realistic?

Maybe give archers the option of a small buckler. This would let them block during melee, but also slow down thers incredible flinching daggers. If they dont choose the buckler, they can keep the super-speed dagger, but can’t block 2H weapons.

• Nearly 100% of the vanguard and knight players use a 2hander. This would give the archers (and those using the light 1handers, 0 defense against them.

This is a medievalesque game not a simulator. Once people can get that, we can craft a game to enjoy not a game for History Channel.

• I get you guys, I really do. And as much as it pains me to see archers spam kill knights and vanguards with kitchenware I can see the balancing mechanic behind it.
    But let’s get one thing straight also, I know this isn’t a discovery channel game but it isn’t a COD, MW, BF FPS game either. It is focused in melee combat very much like how M&B Warband and War of the Roses do. That’s why people bought it in the first place, because there are so few of it’s kind when there are tons of FPS titles. And that’s why people abandoned the M&B Fire and Sword game, it tried to make a strange connection to FPS and FP melee, and it failed miserably.
    So yes! Archers should be a super nerfed class. And Yes! Everyone should choose knights and vanguards over the other classes, it just makes sense and they already do. The team with most of those guys is the team that usually wins.
    And if you feel there wouldn’t be much diversity that way there are countless things you can do to offer that too. You could have more cultures each with its different abilities (speed, strength etc) and weapons, a suggestion I read to this very forum.
    And one last thing.
    @Matti:

If you block a heavy weapon with a dagger, you lose most of your stamina which makes it difficult for you to continue blocking.

But it doesn’t matter you don’t have to block, all you have to do is spam attack right after the block and if most of the hits you do land the poor Vanguard/Knight is helpless. All the archers I met use this mechanic, wouldn’t you considered that being OP?

• archers with daggers are hardly invincible in 1on1 when you have a 2H, i get those a lot on duel servers. you just need to be really careful about your attacks and to not be thrown off your blocking rhythm. if you manage to block the first flurry of strikes you can usually get some distance between you and the archer and make him run into stabs or dragged overheads when he closes the distance. just yesterday i finished one off without even moving my feet in the whole fight (which admittedly wont work for most opponents). ^^
    i really don’t like archers, but i want them to put up a fight when i get to them. instahitting them no matter what would make my revenge feel cheap. :P

• I don’t know if a game where 3/4 of the classes a intentionally designed to be skipped in favor to the 4rd is really what you call a good game. :?
    Anyhow, this is something most new members experience and you will learn how to deal with it quickly. Half of chivarlies meleesystem is about how to bypass or break someones guard, so there is no need to remove parry or blocks from anyone since it would break the whole meleesystem. You can use the realtime swings, footwork, feints, range advantage, attackspeed advantage, kick(for teamfights), extreme attackancles and probably some more in order to bypass parry and shields. This is infact a huge list of stuff to learn and to have fun with and I don’t really see why you’d want to miss this.
    On the realism part it is as realistic to parry mauls with butterknifes as it is vice versa. If it were realistic you wouldn’t be able to dodge projectiles and 2h weapon hits or crossbow shots will sooner or later break your shield + eventually your arm. There is no way to survive getting hit by an axe to the neck (like knights do) or fight / survive after being hit by a thrusting dagger right into an armorgap.
    This is a medieval battle staging, like we know from the movies for the physical appearance and a competetive rts in terms of balance. Not a mindless hack&slay for the knight class. My suggestion is you try your secondary weapon(oh yes they have a purpose too) if you can’t handle fast weapons with 2handers yet.

And no, I bought it for the archery part, because I knew it is more challenging than melee. 8-)

• I know what you’re saying guys but this post started specifically for one weapon only, in one class that happened to be the archer, not in order to remodel the whole melee system, that wasn’t my intention.
    @Escadin:

I don’t know if a game where 3/4 of the classes a intentionally designed to be skipped in favor to the 4rd is really what you call a good game. :?

Didn’t mean that, but you can see staying back and shooting arrows is a perfectly good strategy for an archer. Being unable to melee (and that’s only when using daggers) doesn’t necessarily exclude the whole class from the game, it actually coordinates the otherwise chaotic behavior of the team. Some fighting in the front lines while others provide cover from the back.
    @Escadin:

This is in fact a huge list of stuff to learn and to have fun with and I don’t really see why you’d want to miss this.

I din’t, I use all the stuff you mention, the ones I want out are just the unnatural stuff, you can also call them OP tactics or even exploits.
    @Escadin:

On the realism part it is as realistic to parry mauls with butter knifes as it is vice versa.

Dude there is no vice versa. A knight doesn’t have to parry a butter knife wielding enemy at all because butter knifes just don’t cut though plated steel. It’s like trying to destroy a tank using a handgun.
    @Escadin:

If it were realistic you wouldn’t be able to dodge projectiles and 2h weapon hits or crossbow shots will sooner or later break your shield + eventually your arm.

I agree, they should implement some if not all of that stuff.
    @Escadin:

There is no way to survive getting hit by an axe to the neck (like knights do) or fight / survive after being hit by a thrusting dagger right into an armor gap.

Again, axes don’t cut though plated steel either. In this case it’s more like trying to destroy a tank using a powder cannon, it’ll make a dent but won’t destroy it. And about the throw-able weapons dude, you’re not an Altair assassin type, you ought to feel ecstatic if you actually hit the enemy.
    @Escadin:

My suggestion is you try your secondary weapon(oh yes they have a purpose too) if you can’t handle fast weapons with 2handers yet.

Yes I know how perfectly spam exploitable those are. It promotes foul play and unsporting behavior and I just don’t like playing in any MP game like that.

• mh anyhow, you might want try and learn maa :D
    Just a thing, none of the methods i mentioned is considered an exploit, but here is one: the current flinchsystem punishes combos even with 1h weapons (or especially) so the spam you’re talking about actually means autolose. If they hit you in recovery you don’t flinch, but the hit ends your recoveryphase, so actually being spammed by knife speeds you up if you catch the right timing. Not to mention your attack will be unblockable because your enemy is still in midswing. You can just trade hits with that archer since you take about 7 and he 1-2.

Oh and sorry I got you wrong. Well the butterknife vs maul is really discussable from a realistic point of view, but this is rather a balancequestion and it would be odd to have one single weapon in the game that can’t parry -> is far worse than anything else (in fact t1 and t2 daggers are most likely already the worst weapons ingame). It sounds crazy tho.
    However I’m not sure if a massive double axe with blades a large as your torso would really be unable to crack a platemail. It’s a massive lever after all.