Hackers becoming a serious problem?

• So I checked the forums before I logged in today, the first two things I read are about hackers (legit ones, that is). Then the VERY FIRST GAME I JOIN there’s this guy letting loose a volley of like 30 arrows each shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZslF9fSd8

He was using the name “They call me tater salad” and playing in an official server.

Can we try and curb this before it becomes a serious issue? (it could be already.)

• 70 hours and I’ve never seen a hacker. Perhaps I’m lucky.

• That particular hack has been brought up, but no video of it. I am waiting anxiously to see this. And the mods/devs are trying our best to sniff out new hacks, while banning the offenders.

• @ChuckingIt:

That particular hack has been brought up, but no video of it. I am waiting anxiously to see this. And the mods/devs are trying our best to sniff out new hacks, while banning the offenders.

Check back in a little under an hour :P. And yeah, I’m sure it’s on the top of their list. I’ve just seen a lot of good games ruined by an influx of hackers, so it was a bit concerning.

• @ChuckingIt:

That particular hack has been brought up, but no video of it. I am waiting anxiously to see this. And the mods/devs are trying our best to sniff out new hacks, while banning the offenders.

There’s video of it in the other thread. I’d grab a Linky but I’m on my phone. ;)

• Hope this game will not be ruined by cheaters like many other games I left just for this reason.
    Hopefully the devs do everything what is possible to block the offenders from the game.

• @ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

There’s video of it in the other thread. I’d grab a Linky but I’m on my phone. ;)

Way to steal this guy’s thunder! I for one will wait for his video! :berz:

• I’ve seen the arrow hack. Saw it on the second day I was playing this game, earlier this week. It looks like the arrow volley from Guild Wars 2. At first I thought it was just a siege weapon I wasn’t familiar with, but I’ve seen it happen in maps without siege.

That’s the only “legit” hack I’ve seen.

That said, I believe there’s a lot of false pretense when it comes to hacking. I’ve been accused of using an “unlimited stamina” hack and kicked from a couple games. It’s rather common in online games to be accused of hacking when you’re winning, which I think is likely where the majority of hacking accusations come from.

Protip: You can keep swinging when you run out of stamina. You just can’t combo.

• @Ragnar:

I’ve seen the arrow hack. Saw it on the second day I was playing this game, earlier this week. It looks like the arrow volley from Guild Wars 2. At first I thought it was just a siege weapon I wasn’t familiar with, but I’ve seen it happen in maps without siege.

That said, I believe there’s a lot of false pretense when it comes to hacking. I’ve been accused of using an “unlimited stamina” hack and kicked from a couple games. It’s rather common in online games to be accused of hacking when you’re winning, which I think is likely where the majority of hacking accusations come from.

Protip: You can keep swinging when you run out of stamina. You just can’t combo.

Yes, I’ve been accused of speed hacking many times for doing counterattacks with the sword of war stab.

• Nice vid, and that is pretty cheap. Good heads up on recording it.

• @ChuckingIt:

Nice vid, and that is pretty cheap. Good heads up on recording it.

Agreed.

Rank 35 huh? The guy from early this morning was 35 too, but he couldn’t do the arrow hack. Is 35 just the rank where people give up and start hacking? Because… I’m 34… :|

• @ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

Nice vid, and that is pretty cheap. Good heads up on recording it.

Agreed.

Rank 35 huh? The guy from early this morning was 35 too, but he couldn’t do the arrow hack. Is 35 just the rank where people give up and start hacking? Because… I’m 34… :|

RESIST THE DARKNESS IN YOUR HEART…

• @Ragnar:

I’ve seen the arrow hack. Saw it on the second day I was playing this game, earlier this week. It looks like the arrow volley from Guild Wars 2. At first I thought it was just a siege weapon I wasn’t familiar with, but I’ve seen it happen in maps without siege.

Protip: You shoudln’t be swinging especially not until you run out of stamina.

fixed it for you^^
    but yea the casual cheater blames on pubs don’t mean anything unlike the ones on this forum. I’m happy to look back on 200h without any cheater

• I would have thought the use of projectiles is completely serverside, guess it’s just a case of tightening things up.

• @Martin:

I would have thought the use of projectiles is completely serverside, guess it’s just a case of tightening things up.

It’s possible that it is still serverside and the hacker is just calling a server function inappropriately as the hacks from earlier today.

• I don’t know whether to laugh at this thread or to just feel bad for you fellers. There’s only been one hacker that, yes, you’ve all run into on different servers coincidentally. The only plural in this context is the occasional dime-a-dozen speedhacker that comes and goes. They’re not capable of anything other than speeding up their game client. Again, you’ve only been seeing one person do whatever he does and he’s been identified. Despite the oxymoron that is identifying someone on the internet.

And now you see the humor of this thread: Is “One hacker” becoming a serious problem? Hah. No.

• @Slight:

I don’t know whether to laugh at this thread or to just feel bad for you fellers. There’s only been one hacker that, yes, you’ve all run into on different servers coincidentally. The only plural in this context is the occasional dime-a-dozen speedhacker that comes and goes. They’re not capable of anything other than speeding up their game client. Again, you’ve only been seeing one person do whatever he does and he’s been identified. Despite the oxymoron that is identifying someone on the internet.

And now you see the humor of this thread: Is “One hacker” becoming a serious problem? Hah. No.

I see humor in that you admittedly can’t identify this person(s), and yet assume it is in fact one person, and that you fail to see at the, at least, marginal significance of the experience I described.

The very fact that you’ve used “dime-a-dozen” to describe the incidence of speedhacking, and yet are somehow insinuating that hacking isn’t globally present, is humorous. Yes.

Really not sure if you’re trolling or if you’re truly that rude and oblivious.

• That same hacker spent 9 minutes demonstrating his hacks to me while I recorded him a few days ago. He seems really eager for an audience; it seems that he really wants everyone to be properly amazed of him. I posted the link to that video in another thread about him (I’m on the bottom of page 2). I’ll link it here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZFs7cBo4c&hd=1

He was rank 34 in that video, but I’ve run into him at least once since then on a different server, and he’s rank 35 or higher now.

This is a video I recorded last night of a peasant that would insta-kill anyone who came too close, and I have reason to believe that it’s the same hacker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBvU5v3Ysg&hd=1

Although the hacker doesn’t show up in the scoreboard in that video, I do mention him at 2:20 (in reference to the 9-minute video I linked above). One minute later, the strange peasant disappears. About ten or fifteen minutes after that was recorded, the hacker logged into the server and thanked me for recording the 9-minute video, calling it “flattering.”

This is his Steam profile (though he probably has more than one account). It looks like he has also messed with Garry’s Mod servers in the past:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1084549
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1089760

I hope Valve/TB can do something about him.

• @MCU:

That same hacker spent 9 minutes demonstrating his hacks to me while I recorded him a few days ago. He seems really eager for an audience; it seems that he really wants everyone to be properly amazed of him. I posted the link to that video in another thread about him (I’m on the bottom of page 2). I’ll link it here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZFs7cBo4c&hd=1

He was rank 34 in that video, but I’ve run into him at least once since then on a different server, and he’s rank 35 or higher now.

This is a video I recorded last night of a peasant that would insta-kill anyone who came too close, and I have reason to believe that it’s the same hacker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBvU5v3Ysg&hd=1

Although the hacker doesn’t show up in the scoreboard in that video, I do mention him at 2:20 (in reference to the 9-minute video I linked above). One minute later, the strange peasant disappears. About ten or fifteen minutes after that was recorded, the hacker logged into the server and thanked me for recording the 9-minute video, calling it “flattering.”

This is his Steam profile (though he probably has more than one account). It looks like he has also messed with Garry’s Mod servers in the past:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1084549
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1089760

I hope Valve/TB can do something about him.

He is (or will be, I haven’t heard the official confirmation yet) banned from all Official Servers and any other servers that keep up with the Official ban list.