Computer shuts down completely.

• So I saw another topic on this, but didn’t see a conclusion.

4-5 minutes into Chivalry at any time my computer completely shuts down. Instantly powers down dead. I had just installed a new Geforce 670 and upgraded with Windows 8, so I thought it may be a driver or heat issue. Upon further looking I have no idea what it is. It only happens in Chivalry.

My temperatures are good, I’ve let it loop benchmarks for hours and really try and get those temperatures up. Nothing. Everything is fine. I have an ASUS card with all the newfangled cooling, a ginormous Noctua cooler, and 8+ case fans. If heat is the issue I’ll eat my hat.

I do run Teamspeak 3 while playing Chivalry, but I don’t have the in game overlay enabled. A previous thread said to look in your event view, and the only critical errors I have shown is that my system restarted without properly shutting down. I tried unchecking the “reboot on error” windows option. Still powers off completely. I’m at my wit’s end trying to figure this out because my friends all play constantly, but I have seen a couple other threads with the same problem, so I know I’m not crazy.

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
    Intel i7-2600k with Noctua cooler
    8GB of ram
    4GB ASUS Geforce GTX 670
    Can’t recall my motherboard model, but it’s an ASUS

I’ve also attached my latest Launch.log and .dmp file.

Hope that helps and hope we can get this figure out. Thanks.

• Please attach your DxDiag.txt.

Also, can you go into Windows Event Viewer (Start Menu -> search for event viewer), select Windows Logs and the System subcategory in the left panel, then browse through the events in the top panel until you find the ones with the timestamp of when your computer crashed. The important ones will probably be designated as Critical or Error. Please post the details of all of them in code tags here.

Also, is your CPU OC’d? Judging by the aftermarket cooler, I’d guess so. I’m betting some Monopoly money that the critical/error event is related to CPU timer/timing.

• I originally had my CPU overclocked, thus the cooler, but I’ve been running stock for at least a year now as it was pretty much unnecessary.

My event log has zilch in it for the crash. The only thing critical is it saying that the restart was unexpected.

http://i.imgur.com/VmMiZ.png

The previous record was 12:00pm and the shutdown occured well after that. It may not be Chivalry doing it, but this is the only game it’s happened in. I’ve tried to replicate it in a lot of other games to no avail. I haven’t tried any UT based games though so I may give something like UT3 a try, but I’m really stumped.

Edit: I have played quite a bit of Dishonored, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Primal Carnage without problems. Wasn’t aware they were UT based games.

• @ExarKun:

I originally had my CPU overclocked, thus the cooler, but I’ve been running stock for at least a year now as it was pretty much unnecessary.

My event log has zilch in it for the crash. The only thing critical is it saying that the restart was unexpected.

http://i.imgur.com/VmMiZ.png

What’s the Kernel-General Information Event under it say? Guess my theory of an Internal Timer Error was wrong … guess I won’t be able to buy a hotel on Boardwalk for a while longer :(

• Just

The operating system started at system time ?2012?-?12?-?14T00:09:17.492153000Z.

Like I said this makes no sense to me on any level.

• Do you have any more recent DMP files?

Can you try to verify your game cache? Also try to delete the My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare.

• Sadly that is the newest DMP file I have and my game cache checked out ok. I’ll try deleting the folder and get back to you later on in the day when I have a chance to play some more.

• It might be a power supply issue.

What’s your power supply model, wattage and efficiency rating?

• Not a PSU issue since it’s only in this game. I don’t recall what it is exactly, and I’m too lazy to look. I can tell you I didn’t skimp on it and its an 850w.

After deleting the Chivalry folder it’s still doing it. About 4-5 minutes into playing every time. Pretty frustrating.

• @ExarKun:

Not a PSU issue since it’s only in this game. I don’t recall what it is exactly, and I’m too lazy to look. I can tell you I didn’t skimp on it and its an 850w.

After deleting the Chivalry folder it’s still doing it. About 4-5 minutes into playing every time. Pretty frustrating.

Did it make a new .dmp file?

• Check the power settings are ok for your usuage
    Are the drivers are upto date.

is the screensaver running, it might be on after a few mins.
    sometimes older drivers work better I used win7 drivers in W8 (video card)

temp software monitor could be useful to find.
    check the bios see if any wrong bus speeds, pci freq, voltages. Or old loaded in error from
    oc profile.

Memory module going bad run memtest if pos (may take time to test each stick)
    Power supply going bad , do you have another floating about.

try memory/page file system managed.
    Restore Win8, just before the latest updates.

gl.

• Still doing it. No dump files at all since I deleted the folders.

It’s not a hardware problem. My computer is on 24 hours a day, is my media center, game on it constantly, and have no problems whatsoever. It’s only 4-5 minutes into playing Chivalry that this ever happens. I’ve just resorted to not playing it. Since I haven’t been playing it and moved on to other games I’ve had no troubles. I also know I’m not the only one because there was a thread with this same issue on this forum and I found another on Tom’s Hardware.

• You said that you let benchmarks loop for hours and it was okay… have you tried any CPU stress tests like Prime95? Chivalry is a very CPU heavy game, that’s why I ask.