Realistic Hitting

• For stabbing weapons, such as pike and others. So, we all seen how they can slash and such when players don’t want to stab. It’s pretty stupid, because the stick connected to the blade is hitting you, not the actual blade its self. What I am saying is that if the stick hits you instead of the blade if they are not stabbing, it should deal no damage.

• How does the wood hit someone on a stab?

Also, I know of someone who is looking forward to the release of the quarter staff. If you tell him that wood does no damage, he won’t be a happy [spawn] camper.

• Sticks are the strongest weapon ever invented, ask a scientist.

• only if they are pointy and covered in poo. :P

• Hit yourself with a wooden stick, tell us if it hurts.

• Sticks are very effective against rabbits and sausages.

• I think his point is that poleaxes and such are weighted in their blade, a hit with the hilt/“wood” generally causes little to no damage vs an armored oponent and even vs a lightly armored oponent.

And even with a quarterstaff you need to hit with the end section of the staff to do maximum potential damage.

Simple understanding of physics… the further out the point that hits, the faster it is moving and the more weight it has behind it (unless it’s extremely unbalanced and has extra weight somewhere in the middle or such, rendering it utterly useless :P).

However, for balancing issues I don’t see that this concept would work in chivalry. They would need to revamp every weapon and class in the game.

• I think that would make ameplay confusing and frustrating. You swing at someone, and it doesnt really deal any damage you cant also really judge distance in the game as you would in real life, so its harder to hit with the blade only.

• @Wingy:

I think that would make ameplay confusing and frustrating. You swing at someone, and it doesnt really deal any damage you cant also really judge distance in the game as you would in real life, so its harder to hit with the blade only.

I’m not used to you having intelligent things to say… this is weird :?

Heart.

• not to mention that facehug would make each of those weapons ueseless

• @Escadin:

not to mention that facehug would make each of those weapons ueseless

Yeah there are several threads about this, and as I said on those is very easy to close distance betwen players, so this wouldn’t work.

• I voted yes because there was no middle option.

It should do less damage but not none at all.

• Rather than having no effect, why not have it reduce the stamina of the opponent?

• It’s clear that IRL hitting with the bladed end would be much more effective than hitting with the wooden haft. It could do some damage, but really low, or maybe it should only be like a pushback/stun (so the opponent doesn’t lose any health, but can’t make an attack for a second, although he can still block/parry).

Not being able to (effectively) use those long weapons against somebody who is facehugging you would be excellent! That’s the way you’re supposed to fight against an opponent with a longer reach - get in close where you can hit him and he can’t really hit you. Conversely somebody with a longer reach should focus on keeping the opponent at bay, where he can hit him but the opponent can’t strike back. It’s a basic tenet of any martial art. And weapons shouldn’t be able to stab at all against an opponent who is so close you can’t even get the weapon between yourself and the opponent.

• I think pikes and halberts should do reduced damage when the wooden stick is the part that hits the enemy. For those saying that this would be confusing, I don’t understand how it can be confusing when it is pretty much the way you expect the weapons to work in real life.

What makes the pikes/halberts so good right now is that on top of having extreme range, they are also just as effective in close range. It kinda breaks the blocking/parrying system too because you are supposed to center the tip of their weapon on your screen, but that tip isn’t even visible on your screen when the guy is face hugging you.

• “I agree”

• I do not want to see the haft dealing no damage. That’s both unrealistic and poor to gameplay.

I’d be fine if it did less damage, maybe 75% or 50% in Blunt damage. But a polearm’s haft is generally very heavy and solid, not to mention it would simply result in poor gameplay.

In fact, a slight buff to the polearms (except for halberds) might be appropriate given this change. This would plain make it harder to use, but more rewarding.

The one problem with this is it wouldn’t apply to other weapons, making the game inconsistent. But I suppose it could work, given sufficient tweaking.