Bow & Arrow Overhaul

• What if the bow where more like the crossbow, and instead of no arrow in the bow, you always stand with one arrow in the bow, when you fire, press R to take another arrow out and put it in your bow, and you are ready to fire again. I suggested this because when I am an archer, and another archer bowman and I are having a ranged fight, he always keeps moving back and forth and to and fro. Do you know what I mean? That’s why I suggested this reload feature for the bow and arrow, but of course, for the longbow, it’d take like 1.5 times faster than the light crossbow reload, and for the shortbow, 2 times faster than the light crossbow. For the warbow, as fast as the normal crossbow.

• I’m am not quite sure what you’re talking about, but the current animations and reload mechanics balance archer fights. Crossbows have few advantages, being able to run around with a ready boltfor ever and without any slow down is one of them. Why would you take that away?

• Whats annoying though is that when you get hit with a drawn bow you can see yourself holding the arrow on the bow but when you try to shoot, yo have to use a new arrow. So ah… fix the animation please.

• yea tbh, getting hit while wielding any ranged weapon (even throwing axes) screws your whole animation and character. It delets ammo, makes weaponswap impossible for more than just a few seconds and confuses the game about which weapon you’re actually wielding now. I had one very bad case recently, where I ended up parrying 2handed axes with my bow 8-)

• I’ve had all sorts of bugs after being hit while aiming a bow:

• stuck in zoom mode, even after drawing a secondary weapon
    • can’t draw secondary weapons until you fire a shot
    • can’t draw secondary weapon until you DIE <– really sucks in some cases
    • can’t reload until you draw your secondary and switch back to primary
    • can’t look side to side or up and down (moving the mouse does nothing) until you die

And sometimes I get what I think is actually what you’re talking about: When I draw the bow, the arrow stays there even if I’m not holding down the mouse - and to fire, all I need to do is tap the LMB. Usually this lasts for only the next arrow, but once it lasted for several arrows, I think possibly until I died (which wasn’t long thereafter, as I also had the zoom glitch).

Apart from being very distracting, it was actually kind of nice in a way, as I find it easier to move the mouse to aim without holding the button down. On the other hand, releasing the LMB is both faster and less disruptive to aiming than having to actually press it. So, it’s a bit of a trade-off.

If this is what you mean, I could see this being some sort of option that you could toggle on or off, the way you can invert the mouse and what not. I think I would stick to the regular version, though; it feels natural to me.

• No, having an arrow ready to fire is one of the features of the crossbow. If you want to sprint around with an arrow loaded on your weapon, play with a crossbow.

• I would like this feature. It makes sense; running around with an arrow readied (but not strung) is realistic and flows nicer. However, it would add unnecessary power, and the current system does well to differentiate the bow from the crossbow. If this was added, not only would the bow need to be nerfed, but the bows would feel a little more similar to the crossbow.

What I’d like to see instead is the animations being prettied up so it doesn’t appear as though you are holding an unstrung arrow to the bow. Jump with a bow out and you can see the arrow held against the bow, but then try to fire and you draw another arrow.

• @Siegfried:

No, having an arrow ready to fire is one of the features of the crossbow. If you want to sprint around with an arrow loaded on your weapon, play with a crossbow.

True. Don’t eat up crossbows advantages, they have so few :P

• @Siegfried:

No, having an arrow ready to fire is one of the features of the crossbow. If you want to sprint around with an arrow loaded on your weapon, play with a crossbow.

True. Don’t eat crossbows advantages, they have so few :P

• I just wish the archery was more like AoC