Near Death Feature

• Would be cool if : Let’s say that if someone is at low health and get’s stabbed in like the stomach. He may have a few minuites to live, but the player itself respawned. There is just a animation of the ragdoll on the ground slowly crawling, and as he moves he is bleeding. I would just like to see this as a detail, and for some laughs. As he is crawling he is making groaning noises, and then when he finally dies, he looks up in the sky/ceiling and sticks his arm out and shakes a bit, and just slams his face into the ground and drops his arm.

• Yeah that would be awesome. I feel like the game could use some more realistic deaths animations.

• Lol! There are already some things like that (clutching throat, limping without a leg)… but not quite that in depth. What happens if you attack the corpse? Does it stop?

• @ReMixx:

Lol! There are already some things like that (clutching throat, limping without a leg)… but not quite that in depth. What happens if you attack the corpse? Does it stop?[/quote
    I
    It’s not a corpse yet. He is still alive, but the player already respawned. It’s just a moving ragdoll slowly crawling, and bleeding at the same time. If you hit it awhile it’s moving it will let out a raspy scream and it will stop.

• @ReMixx:

Lol! There are already some things like that (clutching throat, limping without a leg)… but not quite that in depth. What happens if you attack the corpse? Does it stop?[/quote
    I
    It’s not a corpse yet. He is still alive, but the player already respawned. It’s just a moving ragdoll slowly crawling, and bleeding at the same time. If you hit it awhile it’s moving it will let out a raspy scream and it will stop.

• @Margato:

@ReMixx:

Lol! There are already some things like that (clutching throat, limping without a leg)… but not quite that in depth. What happens if you attack the corpse? Does it stop?

As he said, this already exists. You’re just asking for longer animations.

Which might be cool, but might also get taxing in a 32 player server.

• +1, Margato ;)

• Would be neat, but I believe the dev’s attention should be directed to more maps/weapons and bugfixes at the moment

• @NikolaiLev:

@Margato:

@ReMixx:

Lol! There are already some things like that (clutching throat, limping without a leg)… but not quite that in depth. What happens if you attack the corpse? Does it stop?

As he said, this already exists. You’re just asking for longer animations.

Which might be cool, but might also get taxing in a 32 player server.

Its 2013 I think our computers can handle a few extra animations on screen. I would love to see even more work put into death and wound animations. This game is allready the best medieval brawler around and more polish and shine on animations will just draw more people and help keep the early buyers coming back for more.

• @SharpshotSid:

Would be neat, but I believe the dev’s attention should be directed to more maps/weapons and bugfixes at the moment

To be fair, animators don’t really have a whole lot to do with map development (unless new moving entities need to be created for the map) or bug fixing.

That said, there is only one animator on the team AFAIK, and there are still a lot of existing animations that could use brushing up (just take a look at the crowd on Arena :P ) so this would be quite an undertaking. Would be extremely awesome if possible, though.

• @SlyGoat:

there are still a lot of existing animations that could use brushing up

This is exactly what I mean, fix existing animations and errors before implementing new ones.
    But yes you are right, it would be very awesome to see those poor Agathians try and crawl back to their camp, heheheh

• It would be a neat feature, but I guess it depends on how it is implemented. I wouldn’t want to get stuck on some dead guy on the ground because I happened to hit him in the stomach, so ideally you should be able to walk through the guy, but then it would look a bit silly. Then there is also the issue of that one animation happening too often and becoming repetitive, especially if two guys happen to die that way right next to each other.

To be honest, I would prefer to see more short, but gory animations. If I slice up some guy’s stomach, just make his gut drop to the ground as he falls forward for example. It would be a much shorter animation and more visually “impressive”.

• I personaly dont like death animations. They are always buggy and gets repetive fast. However I do LOVE Animation systems like euphoria engine and active ragdolls. Take a look at overgrowth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWZbxGF … &index=105

That system looks pretty easy to get into the game. It would make every death animation different. It would also work superb for a death animation when burning.

So PLEASE add that system into the game! Just a little coding and you would have INFINITE amount of death animations!

• @Margato:

There is just a animation of the ragdoll on the ground slowly crawling, and as he moves he is bleeding. I would just like to see this as a detail, and for some laughs. As he is crawling he is making groaning noises, and then when he finally dies, he looks up in the sky/ceiling and sticks his arm out and shakes a bit, and just slams his face into the ground and drops his arm.

Please, see a shrink.

Oh and I agree to some degree. It would just be a little silly to see yourself crawling around. On the other side, with the rag-doll slider coming in january, we will see our own dead bodies a lot anyways so… yeah, I like it :D

• I think more varying death animations would be great and yes an extended one like a crawling bleed-out could add a bit more dynamic variation to the war torn feeling and brutality of the battlefield.

It could also add a sort of humiliation factor and the chance to “finish off” a player (only in a taunt sense, the kill is already claimed).

So long as, like current death animations, they can be interrupted by an attack and go into instant ragdoll.

I don’t think it should cut to spectator mode though it should carry on, but I do think respawning should end the animation if it hasn’t already been interrupted by an attack or ended by its own accord.

• i totally agree with the not cutting to spectatormode part. It already takes 4-5 seconds to respawn, might as well be crawling with my guts hanging out.